What can I get for $1?

Options
What does $1 look like?
12 oz soda pop = 180 calories
McChicken sandwich = 360 calories
A bag of beans, makes about 6 cups, one cup cooked = 150 calories
Can't get steak or much veggies or fruits with $1

Our bodies are programmed to get the most calories at the least amount of work. And with such a low budget for food, we would rather get the soda or sandwich. No wonder we are overeating but starving ourselves to death. We get a ton of calories without much nutrients. What do you think?

Replies

• FitBeto
    FitBeto Posts: 2,121 Member
    Options
    You can get 11 seconds of attention at a strip club.
  • juncture
    juncture Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    $1 = £0.62 according to the current exchange rate

For £0.57 I can get 4 bananas which would be about 420 calories.
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    You can get
    A head of lettuce and a cucumber
    A bag of salad
    Two cans of vegetables (or one giant can)
    One can of fruit
    A pack of turkey hot dogs
    A can of beans (or a whole bag of dried beans)
    A bag of rice
    A can of tuna
    A can of chicken
    Seasonings
    A bag of frozen vegetables

For a few more calories you can get
    A loaf of bread
    A few packs of ramen noodles
    Two single serve packs of lunch meat
    Regular hot dogs
    Crackers

I'm sure there's more if I thought about it, but these are pretty much staples on my grocery list.
  • Lyssa62
    Lyssa62 Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    they have $1 snack packs of celery, grapes , apple slices. Nice size serving too. * walleyworld in the produce section*
  • addicted2cola
    addicted2cola Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    You can get
    A bag of salad
    One can of fruit
    A bag of rice
    A can of tuna
    A can of chicken
    Seasonings

A loaf of bread
    Regular hot dogs
    Crackers

I'm sure there's more if I thought about it, but these are pretty much staples on my grocery list.

Where do you live!! I'm kind of jealous! Here, a pack of turkey hotdogs is about $4 (the buns for them are $3), a head of lettuce is about $3, and a loaf of bread is $3. In fact, the only thing I could buy on your list is the ramen noodles! Sometimes, cans of soup go on sale here for a dollar. Sometimes. I am green with envy, lol!

About the only thing you can buy here for a dollar is... a single apple or orange maybe?
  • AllTehBeers
    Options
    they have $1 snack packs of celery, grapes , apple slices. Nice size serving too. * walleyworld in the produce section*

I love these because they're all preportioned and the calories are right there. However if you're down to a single buck, you can get a whole thing of celery for about 60 cents, you just have to cut and clean it yourself.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    You can get a bag of frozen veggies for a dollar.
  • michmich805
    Options
    :wink:
  • MaggieSporleder
    MaggieSporleder Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    You can get
    A bag of salad
    One can of fruit
    A bag of rice
    A can of tuna
    A can of chicken
    Seasonings

A loaf of bread
    Regular hot dogs
    Crackers

Where do you live!! I'm kind of jealous! Here, a pack of turkey hotdogs is about $4 (the buns for them are $3), a head of lettuce is about $3, and a loaf of bread is $3. In fact, the only thing I could buy on your list is the ramen noodles! Sometimes, cans of soup go on sale here for a dollar. Sometimes. I am green with envy, lol!

About the only thing you can buy here for a dollar is... a single apple or orange maybe?

Dude you need to find an Aldi's near you if you can. They have most of this and more for under a buck. :)
  • AllTehBeers
    Options

At walmart, jennie-O turkey dogs are 98 cents. The cheap great value bread is cheap too, like 1.25 so I did smidge that a bit, so are the cheap buns. Fresh lettuce heads are super cheap too, like 59 cents.
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    What does $1 look like?
    12 oz soda pop = 180 calories
    McChicken sandwich = 360 calories
    A bag of beans, makes about 6 cups, one cup cooked = 150 calories
    Can't get steak or much veggies or fruits with $1

Our bodies are programmed to get the most calories at the least amount of work. And with such a low budget for food, we would rather get the soda or sandwich. No wonder we are overeating but starving ourselves to death. We get a ton of calories without much nutrients. What do you think?

You bought the whole bag for $1 (I get a one pound bag of beans for 68 cents) but you're only listing the nutritional content for one serving. If you get 6 cups of beans out of the bag then you are actually getting 900 calories for that dollar.

This weekend I bought zucchine for 99 cents/pound, apples for 99 cents/pound, bell peppers 3 for a dollar, rice for 89 cents/pound, pinto beans for 68 cents/pound, a bag of frozen broccoli for $1.25, frozen whole green beans for 96 cents.

I get tired of this propaganda that it costs too much to eat healthy and that fast food is the only way for poor people to eat. It's utter bullsh!t. People eat nothing but crap because they are too lazy to turn on a stove - and I believe there is room in a healthy diet for fast food, pizza and cheetos.

Edit to remove my three carts full of cheesy poofs and honey buns on food stamps rant.
  • addicted2cola
    addicted2cola Posts: 43 Member
    Options

At walmart, jennie-O turkey dogs are 98 cents. The cheap great value bread is cheap too, like 1.25 so I did smidge that a bit, so are the cheap buns. Fresh lettuce heads are super cheap too, like 59 cents.

Our Walmart doesn't have a produce section. The high prices here reflect that we're on an island (and not a nice tropical one either!!), and we have a lot of inflation right now. I do a lot of shopping at Walmart because it's definitely cheaper there! But even at Walmart, the hotdogs are $3 lol! I love when people post the different prices of items in there area. It really gives you a perspective of different places, and why people might be eating the foods tat they do!
  • Starfish1125
    Starfish1125 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    You can get 11 seconds of attention at a strip club.

LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • cls_333
    cls_333 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    CLIF Mojo Peanut Butter Pretzel Sweet & Salty Trail Mix Bars, 1.59 oz, 12 count @ Walmart. About $1 each, and 190 calories each. One of my favorites!
  • AllTehBeers
    Options

You bought the whole bag for $1 (I get a one pound bag of beans for 68 cents) but you're only listing the nutritional content for one serving. If you get 6 cups of beans out of the bag then you are actually getting 900 calories for that dollar.

This weekend I bought zucchine for 99 cents/pound, apples for 99 cents/pound, bell peppers 3 for a dollar, rice for 89 cents/pound, pinto beans for 68 cents/pound, a bag of frozen broccoli for $1.25, frozen whole green beans for 96 cents.

I get tired of this propaganda that it costs too much to eat healthy and that fast food is the only way for poor people to eat. It's utter bullsh!t. People eat nothing but crap because they are too lazy to turn on a stove - and I believe there is room in a healthy diet for fast food, pizza and cheetos.

Edit to remove my three carts full of cheesy poofs and honey buns on food stamps rant.

Lazy potatos.
  • vanguardfitness
    vanguardfitness Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    McDonald's apple pies
  • AllTehBeers
    Options

Our Walmart doesn't have a produce section. The high prices here reflect that we're on an island (and not a nice tropical one either!!), and we have a lot of inflation right now. I do a lot of shopping at Walmart because it's definitely cheaper there! But even at Walmart, the hotdogs are $3 lol! I love when people post the different prices of items in there area. It really gives you a perspective of different places, and why people might be eating the foods tat they do!

You're right about that. It definitely depends on the cost of living in a general area, but like Johnny said, I think it's just become that people are too lazy to turn on the stove.
  • AllTehBeers
    Options
    McDonald's apple pies

One pie and a small ice cream. Yummy