This isnt good is it?

Options

Replies

• shanmackie
    shanmackie Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    You should start thinking in terms of deficits rather than calories eaten. Like as a slider. Don't think you have to eat 1200. Say you burn 1800 a day and you want to lose a pound a week so you want a 500 cal deficit. So if you only burn 1800, eat 1300 calories, or burn just a little more, like 2000, so eat 1500. :)
  • brandi22479
    brandi22479 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Looked at your diary; please eat food with more substance. Try adding lean meats, fruits and veggies to your meals. Stay away from bread, pasta and rice (it's my advice because I try to do this but it's very difficult in my house). If you would add some substance to your meals, your calorie intake would increase. You wouldn't have a problem reaching your 1200 each day then you wouldn't have to worry too much about eating back calories.
  • SadKitty27
    SadKitty27 Posts: 416 Member
    Options

My food intake today (including my future meals) will be 731 calories
    Im going swimming tonight and will be 357 calories

Honestly, I'd consult a Dr. before undertaking such a low calorie intake, as it kind of sounds dangerous. I can tell you from personal exp. that eating at that calorie level for awhile ended up making me feel like garbage. Plus, your body will eventually stall out and cling for dear life to every calorie you ingest for awhile because it might be put into starvation mode (I'm not a Dr. or a dietitian, so I couldn't tell you for sure.)

I've got a lot of weight to lose as well ( I am 211, and my goal wait is 125 lbs. . This means I have about 86 lbs to go.) I eat at around 1200 calories a day and just started exercising again ( I can't tell you an average in terms of amount of calories I burned, but today I burned 705 in an hour long work out on the elliptical.) I add my exercise at the end of the day, because I don't agree with eating my calories back.

It's going to take a good long while to get this weight off, but in hindsight it did take time to put on. Also, I noticed I'm losing more inches at a quicker pace eating more than when I was eating less.

Either way, I wish you success in whatever you choose to do.
  • nashbear
    nashbear Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    eat like 1600-1800 daily. i'm sure you were eating more than this before, right? if not, maybe go to the doctor and check out everything, make sure there are not other problems responsible for your weight gain.

This. Your thyroid might be messed up. Protein is very important.
  • Lisah8969
    Lisah8969 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    Just shoot for 1600/day.
    Just eat 1600 a day.

Eat 1600 a day.

1600....a....day.....

Enjoy your fat loss.

Listen to and follow every thing this man says!
  • XtyAnn17
    XtyAnn17 Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    Just shoot for 1600/day.
    Just eat 1600 a day.

Eat 1600 a day.

1600....a....day.....

Enjoy your fat loss.

Im just not understanding....you want her to eat 1600 calories a day?! :laugh:
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    I'm not going to offer you any eating or weight loss advice. I'm just going to lay this out for you.
    You can either be on board with the 1200 crowd and be hungry all the time and eventually binge and your body won't know how to handle it., or you can look at the people that are giving you awesome advice here in this thread. Take a look. Look at eating reasonably, look at cardio and lifting heavy.
    They aren't checking the scales and lot of them don't even care anymore because they have other goals, like being awesome, and no one is looking at the number on the scale.
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    I dont even think about the calories they say I get to have because of exercise....just eat your target 1200, I started 5 days ago and have lost 6 lbs. all i do is walk for 15 minutes a day. Just care about the 1200 and thats it....it works.

NO. You're an ex-athelete? Really? You are going to survive on 1200 cals a day AND exercise AND not eat your exercise calories back? Have you read how MFP works? Let us know how that's going and how much of your muscle you have left in about a month. Keep in touch.
  • kdkyzer
    kdkyzer Posts: 137 Member
    Options

Wow...this is amazing information. I clearly need to pay more attention to making sure I eat enough calories, or I'll be setting myself up for failure.
    Thanks!
  • Jay_Jay_
    Jay_Jay_ Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I've lost over 220 lbs in the last 2 years on a very low carb diet, eating between 1200 and 1600 calories a day. On average, closer to 1200 than 1600. I feel great, better than I have ever felt in my life. I eat when i'm hungry, I don't eat when i'm not. Focus more on eating a healthy diet free of sugar and processed junk, rather than packing in additional calories because of hunger cravings caused by eating poorly. (Obviously the OP needs to eat more. This is to those saying that 1200 calories a day will leave you "starving" and miserable.)
  • radioactivesqrl
    Options
    Like others have said, you definitely need to eat more. Minimum 1200 calories or your body thinks it's starving and will drop your metabolism. Then you'll have to eat even less to still lose weight and congrats you now have malnutrition and possibly an eating disorder. If you can't maintain that rate, you'll crash and eat a bunch of food later. That combined with the lower metabolism, you'll end up gaining weight.

It's all about burning more calories than you consume and it won't be fast, but you'll be more successful.

-If you're hungry put more fruits and vegetables into your diet. You can eat a large volume without adding many calories. Fiber rich foods also help with hunger.

-If you're under your calorie goal, eat some more breads or meats. They are high in calories and will bump you up quickly.

-If you're over your calorie goal, add more exercise today and in the future switch to more fruits and vegetables.
  • da_bears10089
    da_bears10089 Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    My goal is to eat the 1200 on days that i do nothing, which is hardly ever. I may not be able to eat back ALL of my exercise calories because sometimes it's A LOT. But i try to get as much in as possible. Also, eat MORE PROTEIN. I found a website that breaks down everything. I found that i'm supposed to be eating .88 grams of protein per pound of my current weight to help lose weight. Eat more to lose weight is the way to go, just as long as you aren't eating garbage food. Almonds, string cheese, greek yogurt, or any kashi granola bars are fantastic options to add protein to your diet. When it comes to working out, i started off with being a cardio junky. It helped me lose some weight, but i've since switched to doing doing Zumba or TurboKick 2-3 times a week and then do heavy lifting 3 times a week. On my lifting days, i start off with 20-25 minutes on the treadmill for my C25k plan and then hit the weights. I'm not paying attention to the scale as much anymore, because i would rather LOOK fit and feel great than weigh a certain number.

http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

this is the website i used
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    I dont even think about the calories they say I get to have because of exercise....just eat your target 1200, I started 5 days ago and have lost 6 lbs. all i do is walk for 15 minutes a day. Just care about the 1200 and thats it....it works.

NO. You're an ex-athelete? Really? You are going to survive on 1200 cals a day AND exercise AND not eat your exercise calories back? Have you read how MFP works? Let us know how that's going and how much of your muscle you have left in about a month. Keep in touch.

Pretty much what I was going to say.
  • wlkumpf
    wlkumpf Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    If you don't eat any back you may lose less because your metabolism slows down. Try eating half. Each person is different though, loseing weight is cause and affect. There are no failures, you will learn by how your body reacts.

Check out feed the muscle burn the fat (may have switched that order) to show how we need to keep our bodies burning hot to burn calories. I downloaded the book free and it was AWESOME!!!! You HAVE to eat enough to optimize things.

I was told if you have a goal of 1200 calories a day HIT IT!!!!! NEVER GO UNDER!!!! Find some food to put in your body before you turn in for the night that will get you there.
  • fit4lifeUcan2
    fit4lifeUcan2 Posts: 1,458 Member
    Options
    If you don't eat at least some of your calories back, your body will go into starvation mode, and it will be near impossible to lose weight. I would eat about 1/2 of your exercise calories back.

Starvation mode myth
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/761810-the-starvation-mode-myth-again
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

Yeahhhhhhhhhh....what ^ she said.
    0400772 Posts: 80
    Options
    I have read all these post and while some have been helpful others have not.

I have come up with a meal plan (sample)

Can you tell me if this is better.

730am Breakfast
    Porridge (made up with Hot water) or Bran Flakes (with S/Skimmed Milk)

10.00am Min Morning Snack
    1 piece of fruit (Banana / Apple etc)

12.30pm Lunch
    Daily Soup (vegetarian option) 1 slice of homemade bread or Mixed Salad with Tuna and Philadelphia cheese
    1 piece of fruit

2.45pm Mid Afternoon Snack
    Greek yogurt or fruit and yogurt mix

6.30pm Tea / Dinner
    1 Breast of Chicken and Portion of Cabbage, Cauliflower and Broccoli or Pasta with vegetable tomato based sauce

8pm Evening Snack
    1 slice of wholemeal toast with peanut butter or bagel with philadelphia

Im a really fussy eater and obviously at work its quite hard to cook meals
  • tvanhooser
    tvanhooser Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    That number does NOT work for everyone. I have checked with several different BMR calculators and being short, mine is only around 1290 to begin with. Taking off the percentage for weight loss (still 37 lbs. to go out of an original 114), puts my base BELOW the 1200 minimum they allow on here. I've checked the same calculators for my goal weight and they all tell me the same thing....when I get there, my BMR will actually be BELOW 1200 slightly and my maintenance somewhere between 1100-1300. I know from trial and error experience that if I eat more than 1400, even WITH exercise, I start gaining. So I shoot for 12-1400 most days but don't get overly excited or worried if it falls below that sometimes because I am not losing at some god awful super speedy rate or anything. 1600 would put me right back where I started if I kept that up for too long. So, OP, you just have to find the numbers that work for YOUR body and go with that because everyone will give you different advice but there is no magic formula that will work for everybody.
  • beccyleigh
    beccyleigh Posts: 847 Member
    Options
    Here is my advice on your suggested meal plan;

Breakfast, Use milk. Porridge with water is crap & tastes horrible, invest in some stevia, it is a natural sugar alternate or add cinnamon to flavour.

Lunch, looks fine but maybe add a boiled egg or some chicken slices for extra protein, the more protein you get the less hungry you will feel & will reduce any insulin spikes.

Dinner - Add more veg, as many as possible. Most veg are so low cal & low fat they are a great way to bulk out a dinner & if having pasta, why no meat or fish? Grill a chicken breast or some king prawns & chuck in the pasta & sauce.

It's not about dieting, it's about making better choices & smaller portions of the higher calorie stuff not removing food groups all together. You will need to find something that will suit you for the rest of your life.