Vegan Diet

Options
Just wondering peoples thoughts on a Vegan Diet. If someone has tried it and loves it, hated it. Thinking about trying it out. Watched a few documentries on it and got a lil tramatized w the footage of slaughter houses and confined chicken coops!!

Replies

• drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    Try not to humanize animals
  • deb3129
    deb3129 Posts: 1,294 Member
    Options
    I have been doing a plant based, whole foods diet since March of 2012. While I do occasionally eat an item that may contain eggs or milk, I am pretty darn close to vegan. I LOVE it! I have lost a lot of weight, my skin looks better than it ever has, and I have a TON of energy. I have had to learn a new way to cook and eat, but I love what I am eating now! My doctor is thrilled as well.
  • AliciaStinger
    AliciaStinger Posts: 402 Member
    Options

Way to get in on the topic, buddy. If you have a problem with vegetarians/vegans, or people who don't like watching other living beings suffer, you're welcome to your opinion -- but the OP asked for opinions from vegans, not people who are anti-vegan.

I wasn't vegan, but I was vegetarian and ended up using a lot of vegan recipes. Milk is my favorite drink, and cheese is one of my favorite foods, so I had a lot of trouble going any farther than vegetarian. However, there are a lot of good recipes. If you're serious about it, do some research. The Internet knows all...and has people who think they know it all. But seriously, it's a good place to start, and a great resource for recipes and tips for people new to just about any kind of lifestyle/diet/anything. Just make sure you're getting enough of everything you need through your diet or a multivitamin.
  • darkguardian419
    darkguardian419 Posts: 1,302 Member
    Options
    If the slaughter houses and chicken coops threw you off, try to buy local. "grass fed" and "free range" have such slack requirements it's a joke. the requirement to call chicken "free range" is a door in the coop leading out to a fenced in area outside that's about the size of a porch.

Locally raised, locally butchered may be a little bit more expensive, but most of the time it's a grass-fed animal, raised in a pasture, by a farmer who cares about his animals, doesn't pump them full of steroids/antibiotics, etc etc.

Edit to actually answer the question *headslap*. I shudder to say this, but a vegitarian diet is not "horrible". You should ensure you're getting quality products (think 'whole' foods), and make sure you are hitting macro-nutrients. Also make sure you're getting enough micro as well, a lot of vegitarians have an issue getting enough iron, omega-3, etc etc.
  • fripp13
    Options
    of course not--so much better (and more human) to torture, kill, dismember, and eat them.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    I eat high quality meat from ethically raised animals (and I don't eat pork at all). There are better choices than veganism if you're concerned about your health.
  • kklemarow
    kklemarow Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I've been vegetarian for 13 years and a vegan for almost 2. I love it! Never felt better and I love waking up each day knowing my choices will do as little harm as possible to both animals and our environment.

There are great cookbooks out there that will help introduce you to some really tasty foods. One suggestion - pick up a good vegan multivitamin & B12 supplement and get creative with your meals. Variety is key.

Good luck!
  • caitorton
    Options
    If you do chose to go vegan, just take it slow. Start with straight up vegetarianism and then slowly take out dairy as you get accustomed to cooking/eating without meat.

I've been vegetarian for a while and recently started going vegan, and the difference is night and day. I can now tell how my body reacts negatively to dairy and makes me feel heavy.

If you count calories, your life will be a lot easier as a vegan. Vegetables and grains are a lot less calories than dairy.
  • iampanda
    iampanda Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I follow a vegetarian diet, but I have followed a vegan diet as well. I love it. I like the challenge of coming up with new dishes to make. Vegan doesn't mean healthy though- there are vegan processed foods out there that aren't good for you. I prefer a "clean" vegetarian/vegan diet- I tend to drop weight faster and keep it off when I follow that kind of eating style. I also have a lot of energy and just don't have that "bogged down" feeling. I think too many people jump into it without reading up about it, so then they think they have to live on tree bark. You need to keep a close eye on what you are eating to make sure you are getting your necessary macros and nutrients. I also recommend a good multivitamin, because there are a few vitamins that vegans can be lacking (especially new vegans). Do some reading and research on it before diving in, and try changing slowly, by weeding foods out one at a time and finding suitable replacements for your favorites :)
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Being an apex predator, I would never consider it.
  • Krahn1984
    Krahn1984 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I have an autoimmune disease that causes inflammation in my wrist and hands. Tried vegan to see if it would help. I ate a strict vegan diet for 3.5 months and I was able to get off my all my meds and felt WONDERFUL. I went to Europe and had to modify my diet to vegetarian b/c it was difficult to find vegan meals. I'm now following a vegetarian diet with limitations on diary, sugar, and gluten. I don't feel as great as I did on a vegan diet, but I have more options. Still off my meds and dealing with light bouts of inflammation.

You should try it and see how you feel. Make sure you monitor your protien, B12, Iron, and calcium to avoid causing other health problems.

P.S. Talk to a nutritionist and/or doctor too. I have blood work done every six months and I was .5 points away from being under for my iron. It can be dangerous if you're not careful.
  • thornedlily77
    thornedlily77 Posts: 29 Member
    Options

How is she "humanizing" animals? It is abvious that you have not watched the videos. That is fine as it is your choice, however there are those of us who choose to know what we eat; that is fine too as it is what we choose, it is not "humanizing" in any way except maybe towards us & our own empowerment.

I have been a vegetarian for 23 years & love the life style. Although I do eat some vegan meals I find that my life style (terribly busy w/ a shared kitchen) does not allow for it at this time.
  • iampanda
    Options
    I eat high quality meat from ethically raised animals (and I don't eat pork at all). There are better choices than veganism if you're concerned about your health.

That really depends on who you ask. There is a lot of research that suggests that a diet comprised of mostly plant foods can lower your risk of all kinds of diseases- from cancer to diabetes. I have never seen a study that suggests a meat-eating diet does that? With that said, I don't think veganism is for everyone. But when done right, it can be a very healthy, sustainable eating plan.
  • gingerveg
    gingerveg Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    Yes lots of us here. Just do a search and you'll find a ton of threads.
  • _VoV
    _VoV Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    I have been a vegetarian for nearly 40 years. Most of that time, I have been mostly vegan, but a little dairy and eggs sneaks in at times, especially at social occasions. I love eating this way.

There are a couple of ways to approach this: making the change all at once, or making smaller changes incrementally. It's all good.

I strongly suggest buying and reading 'Vegan for Life' by Jack Norris and Virginia Messina. They are both themselves vegan and registered dietitians. I good calorie-reduced vegan cookbook is 'Appetite for Reduction.'
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    I felt tired and shakey on a vegetarian diet, and I was severely low in folic acid. My naturopath recommended that I include some meat in my diet. I feel best that way. It's too bad, though; I love animals - all animals.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    That really depends on who you ask. There is a lot of research that suggests that a diet comprised of mostly plant foods can lower your risk of all kinds of diseases- from cancer to diabetes. I have never seen a study that suggests a meat-eating diet does that? With that said, I don't think veganism is for everyone. But when done right, it can be a very healthy, sustainable eating plan.

Yes, "mostly plant foods", that doesn't mean veganism or even vegetarianism.
  • tresmommy86
    tresmommy86 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I became vegan last week after reading tons of articles and books and watching documentaries. I wanted to have an informed decision and not just jump at the first thing I read, especially since my favorite food was chicken wings! I've lost 6.5lbs since 01/02/2013 and my skin looks great. Most importantly, I'm taking back my health. I don't have any sort of health problems, but I would've if I continued to eat like I was. My advice to you is to make sure you really want to live this way versus being tramatized by what you saw since it's easy to forget the images. Read and get as much information on veganism and make an informed decision. It is a process and you still get tempted, but I want this to be for the rest of my life and not a weight loss fad. It never hurts to try it and see if it's for you.
  • iampanda
    Options

How is she "humanizing" animals? It is abvious that you have not watched the videos. That is fine as it is your choice, however there are those of us who choose to know what we eat; that is fine too as it is what we choose, it is not "humanizing" in any way except maybe towards us & our own empowerment.

Treating a living thing that does have feelings and sense of pain with dignity is not "humanizing" it. Its simply showing respect for living creatures that share our world with us.
  • missyfitter
    missyfitter Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I've dabbled in vegetarianism and I went vegan for about 6 months (after reading a terrifying book about slaughterhouses ... I couldn't even walk down the meat aisle in my grocery store for weeks)

This is what I found:\
    1) When I had time to PLAN my meals properly I had a ton of energy and my skin, hair, and mood improved.
    2) However, whenever I got stressed and wasn't able to plan I pretty much lived off carbs and beans which had the opposite affect. And I bought more things on the go which made my grocery bill sky rocket!

My advice: If you choose to embrace the vegan diet you have to realize that it is actually a LIFESTYLE change.

Now that I'm married to a meat eating man I try and have a few vegan meals a week. I've also slowly cutting down on the meat and dairy in our daily diet.

At any rate good luck with whatever you decide. But please make sure to do research so you get all the vitamins and minerals you need ( I highly recommend quinoa, brazil nuts, and gojji berries)