The Truth about Wine...?

Options

Replies

• Sheilagh85
    Sheilagh85 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    There is that Skinny Girl line, but I have no idea if it is good or not. Here's to hoping :drinker:
    Skinny Girl sucks.

Skinny Girl does suck. The alcohol content isn't the same as most wines so you end up drinking more to get some satisfaction. Just stick to regular wine and enjoy it!
  • Bridget0927
    Bridget0927 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    you want me to give up coffee in one thread... and now in this thread you want me to give up wine??

wayne+bradey+choke.jpg

Hahaha Prob one of the best Chappelle's ever!

I like when ashy Larry yells "aww **** its wayne brady son" coming out of the club

hahahaha I heart CHappelle
  • girlykate143
    girlykate143 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I have one word: Reds, reds, reds...cabs, merlots, pinot noir, carmenere. Drink them all in moderation and your life will be good.
    I now only drink about 1 time per month on special going out occasions.
  • JoleneCooper
    JoleneCooper Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Hi fellow wino... Stella Rosa is my favorite wine. It's a sweety though so don't get carried away. Limit yourself to 1/2 the bottle. Truly, the best thing you can do...you are here to be healthier right? But if you're going to splurge on wine try Il Conte Stella Rosa. Its about $11-$16 bottle depending on where you shop. Costco has it for $9.99.

119 calories per 5 oz

You're welcome :drinker:
  • Kimdbro
    Kimdbro Posts: 922 Member
    Options
    I recently developed a love affair with wine.

I did not like it before, and now I love it. HOWEVER! I did not understand why on some of these forums people were talking about giving up alcohol... NOW I understand. I did not realize there is anywhere between 600-1200 calories PER BOTTLE!!! And I drink a bottle each time I drink! HOLY CRAP!

Does this shock anyone else? Or have I just been living under a rock? Haha!

Anyone know of any low calorie wines? (cheap, please!) Or low calorie alcohol beverages (no beer, please!)

I'm right there with you... I have yet to find a solution. I try to set up designated "cheat" days, where I work my *kitten* off and eat right all day so I can reward myself with the bottle. I am unsure who ever just has one glass. If I only do this now and then instead of weekly or a couple times a week as it used to be, then I feel I'm making the comprimise. There is a red out there called Skinny Girl and it claims to have fewer calories, but it tastes yuck to me. :(
  • sgall123
    sgall123 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I love my red wine and I'm not going to dilute it with anything!
    That said, my New Year's Eve food journal was full of sad, so I know I can't drink it often. It makes me really puffy, too, which isn't good for the ol' self-esteem.
    makes me mighty puffy too!!! Hate it!! But love the wine!!!
  • MissKitty9
    MissKitty9 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I love wine too, but so far since the New Year, I haven't drank any (no alcohol of any kind) & it's helping me lose.

With that said--- ew, please don't dilute your wine. That's just wrong. Try to limit yourself, & if you can't, then cut it out altogether for a week or so. I promise you'll lower your tolerance ;)
  • Kimdbro
    Kimdbro Posts: 922 Member
    Options
    BTW any wine connoisseurs out there are free to add me, as it is a huge part of my struggle with sticking to my plan. I love wine, a good cabernet makes my day. My favorite currently is Ghost Pines Cabernet Sauvignon . Yum. I have to wait till the weekend tho' - that's my plan, and to divide the bottle over Saturday and Sunday, instead of the whole thing in one sitting. Moderation, without giving it up.
  • Yeehaaa
    Options
    When you cook with wine the heat burns out the calories (sp) lol
  • WelshMaid
    Options
    I enjoy my wine.I have roughly 2-3 bottles a week,averaging around 500 cals a bottle,that's 1500 a week,so i am aiming to burn 300 calories 5 times a week on the treadmill to work it off.
  • Yeehaaa
    Options
    Right on, just having a little wine once a month or so is great... I have seen wine sneak up on people several times, and it ugly for sure.
    I think just dropping the extra lbs will make anyone way happier in life than downing the wine, or anything like that ....
    Good luck peeps...
  • MizTerry
    MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
    Options
    I love cabs the best and I usually have one glass a night for maybe 3 or 4 nights a week. I do not like a sweet wine at all.

I looked and my altime favorites aren't too bad.
    Barefoot cab has 87 calories pre 4 oz
    Chateau Ste Michelle cab is 122 calories per 5 oz.
    I can't seem to find the calories for Layer Cake Primitivo.

If you like wine, add me. I'm still learning about them and would LOVE to learn what to pair with which kind.
  • MizTerry
    MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
    Options
    BTW any wine connoisseurs out there are free to add me, as it is a huge part of my struggle with sticking to my plan. I love wine, a good cabernet makes my day. My favorite currently is Ghost Pines Cabernet Sauvignon . Yum. I have to wait till the weekend tho' - that's my plan, and to divide the bottle over Saturday and Sunday, instead of the whole thing in one sitting. Moderation, without giving it up.

Darn! I forgot about Ghost Pines. It's a little pricey for me though, but it's fantastic.
  • CMay16
    CMay16 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    There is that Skinny Girl line, but I have no idea if it is good or not. Here's to hoping :drinker:
    Skinny Girl sucks.

Haha! Good to know!!
  • K0h4ku
    K0h4ku Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I am starting with just limiting to 1/2 glass of red wine a night during the week for January and let's see how it works!

How is this working for you so far? I find myself asking "Why bother?" I mean, is it only to pair with a meal? Do you find that it still relaxes you? I'm just cutting wine (alcohol) out completely about 4 night a week myself, but am very curious what led to your decision. Thanks!
  • lilmisfit
    lilmisfit Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    I recently developed a love affair with wine.

I did not like it before, and now I love it. HOWEVER! I did not understand why on some of these forums people were talking about giving up alcohol... NOW I understand. I did not realize there is anywhere between 600-1200 calories PER BOTTLE!!! And I drink a bottle each time I drink! HOLY CRAP!

Does this shock anyone else? Or have I just been living under a rock? Haha!

Anyone know of any low calorie wines? (cheap, please!) Or low calorie alcohol beverages (no beer, please!)

What type of wine and what size bottle are you drinking? The average calorie count for most wines would be nowhere near 1200 per 750 ml bottle. 600 is not uncommon though. It's about the same calories as in a Big Mac or a bowl of Ben & Jerry. Some people like to eat crappy hamburgers or ice cream. I like to drink wine.

I drink wine every day, but I stick to 1/2 bottle per day except on occasions. I consider weekends to be occasions.

This exactly, except I am trying to get out of the Mon-Thurs. habit. When I drink a bottle of wine (Fri-Sat-Sun) it's usually about 450-600 calories.
  • dontcallmecass
    Options
    Wow, I thought I had a serious problem but apparently drinking a bottle on your own is not as uncommon as I thought. :[
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Skinny Girl sucks.

And it's only about 10-20 calories less per glass than regular wine.
  • laf0026
    laf0026 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Dry Wines

I will define a dry wine as any wine with less than one percent residual sugar (RS). To estimate the calorie content of these wines multiply the number of ounces you are drinking times the alcohol content (% by volume) and then multiply by 1.6.

For example, suppose you were having 5 ounces of white burgundy at 13% alcohol by volume. The calories would be, approximately:

Ounces of wine x alcohol % x 1.6 = calories

5 oz x 13 % x 1.6 calories per oz-% = 104 calories

Off-Dry Wines

Off-dry wines are typically defined as being between 1 and 4 % residual sugar. I will use 2.5 % as an average. For off-dry wines the multiplier becomes 4. For example, suppose you were having 5 ounces of a German Spätlese at 8% alcohol by volume. Many off-dry wines are lower in alcohol than dry wines, so the calories would be, approximately:

Ounces of wine x alcohol % x 4 = calories

5 oz x 8% x 4 calories per oz-% = 160 calories

Dessert and Fortified Wines

Many late harvest wines are lower in alcohol and considerably higher in sugar while lower in alcohol content, while a fortified wine is high in alcohol and sugar content. The approach is the same, except we will use a multiplier of 10, also we usually only consume 1 to 2 ounces of a dessert or fortified wine in a serving. For example, suppose you were having 2 ounces of a Ruby Port at 18% alcohol by volume. The calories would be, approximately:

Ounces of wine x alcohol % x 10 = calories

2 oz x 18% x 10 calories per oz-% = 360 calories
  • corneredbycorn
    corneredbycorn Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    check out this website. it gives a list of alcohol and the calories in a list.

http://getdrunknotfat.com/

How have I not heard about this site yet? That's kind of awesome.