Yoga for the (very) chubby girl?

Options
My doctor suggested that I start doing yoga. I have always been interested in yoga but honestly I have never felt confident going to a class given my weight. I am about 100 pounds overweight. I have never done yoga before either. Should I give it a try now? Or should I wait till I have lost some more weight before going? I am terrified of giving it a try now and making a terrible fool of myself.

Replies

• hattie491145
    hattie491145 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Also interested to know about this :)
  • Sweetie_Pie92
    Sweetie_Pie92 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I started doing yoga in a class at my college at 258 lbs a year ago. I loved it! It's very centering for the mind, and the stretching is good for the body. I found that I could do anything the other people could do, which was inspiring. I would say just go for it! No one will be focused on you, just on holding their own pose.
    Or, if you feel too uncomfortable to start in a class I suggest following a video on youtube or getting a yoga DVD. Do that until you have the confidence to go to a class!
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    sure just take it easy find a dvd out there or a really good instructor who will work w/ your limitations. There are a few good videos on you tube too. I search for yoga elderly, pregnant, overweight, injury. Most of those are modified for use larger people.
  • WhitneyT586
    WhitneyT586 Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    If you aren't comfy with a class, try out yogaworks DVDs. I have one that is great for a beginner and really relaxes and stretches the muscles. If done consistently, you can also begin to build strength with yoga! The key is figuring out what works for you. Good luck!
  • LondonEliza
    LondonEliza Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    I do it at 200+ lbs and the heaviest girl in our class is about 260 so weight is no bar to doing yoga. If in doubt, get checked over by your Doctor before you start.

Best of luck
    x
  • Avandel
    Avandel Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I started doing yoga in a class at my college at 258 lbs a year ago. I loved it! It's very centering for the mind, and the stretching is good for the body. I found that I could do anything the other people could do, which was inspiring. I would say just go for it! No one will be focused on you, just on holding their own pose.
    Or, if you feel too uncomfortable to start in a class I suggest following a video on youtube or getting a yoga DVD. Do that until you have the confidence to go to a class!

Agree!
  • chrome_princess
    chrome_princess Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    There's a book, and a DVD called MegaYoga that's pretty good. I've got them both, and I like them.
  • Melo1966
    Melo1966 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    Yoga was where my journey began at 239#. Good instructors always give alternative ways of moves. Go for it.
  • 1Bigtink
    1Bigtink Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Try it you will love it..
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options
    Do it now. And as your confidence grows, add in some cardio and some weight training. You're going to love your results!
  • coyoteo
    coyoteo Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    I started doing yoga when i was 276. You got this, get your butt in there! You'll love it!
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    Start now, don't wait. You will not be the only heavy person. No one cares. No one is judging. You will be welcomed. You go at your pace and do modifications if needed. People have written articles about their positive experience with being heavy and starting yoga as well. Do it and be proud of yourself now and be proud later as you improve and lose weight. You don't need to be thin to do yoga (not even to be a yoga teacher).
  • Mlkmaid
    Mlkmaid Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I've doing yoga for about 10 years now and love it. And I'm not exactly a skinny mini either. We have ladies (and guys) of all different shapes and sizes in our class. Make sure you take an introductory course and tell your teacher what your goals are and what you feel your strengths and weaknesses are. Once you start, you'll love it too.
  • imakimm
    imakimm Posts: 839
    Options
    I was doing yoga at my highest weight of 267. I really liked it then and I still like it now! I also like hot yoga. Give it a try, if you go to a class the instructor will show a few modification moves for beginners. Have fun!
  • Cheryl188
    Cheryl188 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I started yoga at 280lbs. Loved it! Believe me, it is a serious workout holding poses at that weight. You can do it!
  • 1Bigtink
    1Bigtink Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I am also a Big Girl and I love yoga. I also have very bad Knees so Yoga was a good thing and at times it is a bit chalanging. I only do what I can. You may want to try to do a beginner DVD at home. This way you can get comfortable before you go in public. @ Work a group of Ladys & I do DVD’s 3 times a week at during our lunch hour. I was very reluctant at first but once I got over the initial fear it was a good thing. Try Amazon, Target or WalMart for a DVD. I get a lot of mine from the Thrift stores or at Yard Sales this way I don’t spend a lot of money. Good Luck and I hope this was helpful..SEW
  • dragonfly_em
    dragonfly_em Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    i do body balance which incorporates yoga poses along with tai chi and pilates and i love it! I've got 100+ to shift and sometimes my belly and boobs get in the way but overall it's no problem...i have improved dramatically, i'm flexible and fit and my core has gotten really strong. I love the contrast to the other classes i do - taking the time to focus on moves and really think about body position and it's challenging. And nobody cares if you are fat or thin...all shapes and sizes are there. So go for it! it will be tough at first but persevere!
  • MzFyreKitty
    Options
    I do an yoga chair exercise tape (have a back injury) and started doing it before I lost over 100 lbs. It's great!
  • sonhando
    sonhando Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Start now, don't wait. You will not be the only heavy person. No one cares. No one is judging. You will be welcomed. You go at your pace and do modifications if needed. People have written articles about their positive experience with being heavy and starting yoga as well. Do it and be proud of yourself now and be proud later as you improve and lose weight. You don't need to be thin to do yoga (not even to be a yoga teacher).

This.
  • terra32903
    terra32903 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I started yoga at about 230 lbs. I am ADDICTED. Find a beginner class and don't worry about anyone else. Most yoga studios dim the lights anyways ;-) Good luck!