My favorite spaghetti squash recipe! What's yours?

Options

Replies

• coopersmom2006
    Options
    Saw this and thought it looked tasty! Haven't tried it yet though. http://www.skinnytaste.com/2013/01/cheesy-baked-spaghetti-squash-boats.html
  • marrizia
    marrizia Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Saving this for later :)
  • micneg01
    micneg01 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    bump
  • mspris2u
    mspris2u Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    bump
  • fmouco
    fmouco Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • lousoulbody
    lousoulbody Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    Yum, that sounds wonderful!
  • april_mesk
    april_mesk Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    We LOVE spaghetti squash here too!! Even my kids love it( 11mo, 2, 7, 8). We use newmans own sockerooni sauce on it and have grilled chicken on the side. Occasionally I'll use lean ground turkey burger in the sauce and we just mix it like pasta. the kids and I like parmesan on top, but the hubby likes feta. going to have to try some of these other recipes though!

I do something similar -using Newman's marinara add chicken and make it like a chicken parm and add cheese on top. So good and good for you.
  • april_mesk
    Options
    I made a spaghetti squash a week ago and when I cut it open after oven baking, it was mushy. Did I over bake it ? It tasted ok, a little Blah. Did not look stringy. I did get another one while shopping yesterday, will try again. Hints would help.

You need to cut it in half lengthwise before you bake. Take seeds out. Flip the halves over on to a baking sheet. Set oven for 375 for 45 mins. Once done, let cool and scrape the strings out with a fork. Looks like pasta and basically any pasta dish you make, you can use spaghetti squash. Good stuff! Good luck.
  • DMUND
    DMUND Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Bumping....cannot wait to try some of these! Bought my first spaghetti squash but was struggling with how to make it, now I have tons of great ideas....thanks!
  • april_mesk
    Options
    I eat it in place of pasta because I have an allergy to wheat, you will love it and get your veggies in! Did watch Biggest Loser last night? Jillian is a nutbag but, she is so fit!
  • hedwardsb
    hedwardsb Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Bump
    Spaghetti Squash Au Gratin
    Serves 6

1 medium spaghetti squash
    1 tablespoon olive oil
    1 small yellow onion, cut in half and very thinly sliced
    ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes, or more if you like it spicy
    1 teaspoon fresh thyme
    1 container (6 oz) plain greek yogurt
    ½ cup shredded cheddar cheese

Cut the spaghetti squash in half and remove the seeds. Place on cooking pan and roast until done. In a medium sized skillet over medium heat, add the oil, onions, red pepper and thyme and cook until the onions are slightly brown in color. Salt and pepper to taste.

Using a fork, scrape the insides of the squash and transfer to a small bowl. Combine the squash, onions, yogurt and half the cheese together and mix well. Transfer the mixture to a buttered baking dish and top with remaining cheese.

Place into a 375º for 15 – 20 minutes until golden brown on top.
  • elucke
    elucke Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • erinr73
    erinr73 Posts: 19
    Options
    bump
  • jennyjee18
    Options
    bump
  • lgwilliams77
    Options
    I served it for company and didn't tell the girls and they thought it was pasta.

Try Tilapia Piccatta if you like capers. No breading, olive oil, pepper & lemon juice with a sauce made of butter or sub (not much - a pad or less) capers & more lemon juice - a heaping teaspoon of sauce for a 4 oz filet is full of flavor. Amazing.
  • Jaytee79
    Jaytee79 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Great ideas thanks!
  • shercoup
    shercoup Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    bump for later..thanks
  • avababy05
    avababy05 Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    I just tried Spaghetti squash for the time after reading this thread.I LOVE IT! So many good ideas.anmd my favorite part,You can eat a TON of it because there's so few calories!
  • brookehe
    brookehe Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    Credit www.skinnytaste.com for original recipe

BAKED SPAGHETTI SQUASH & CHEESE
    (7 servings of 1 Cup/ 165 Calories each)

5 1/2 C. cooked* spaghetti squash (about 2)
    1 T. Butter
    1 T. Olive Oil
    1/4 C. Onion, diced
    1/4 C. flour
    2 C. skim milk
    1 C. fat-free chicken broth
    8 oz. Sargento 2% reduced fat mild cheddar
    salt & pepper to taste
    4 C. baby spinach
    1/8 C. grated parmesan

Oven: 375 for 25-30 minutes

* SPAGHETTI SQUASH: cut in half lengthwise, remove seeds. In glass dish, put 1/2 inch water and place squash in flesh down. Microwave on high 12 minutes (or oven bake for 1 hour). When cooked, shred squash flesh with fork to make "spaghetti" strands.

Heat butter and oil over medium heat until melted, add onions and cook 2-3 minutes. Add flour and stir continuously for 1-2 minutes. Add milk and broth and whisk continuously until liquid boils then thickens (about 2 minutes). Salt & pepper to taste. Remove from heat and add cheddar, stirring until cheese is melted. Add squash and spinach and pour all into baking dish. Sprinkle parmesan on top and bake until golden and bubbly (25-30 minutes).
  • Annaruthus
    Annaruthus Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I have never cooked with spaghetti squash before. I'm going to buy one this weekend, and give it a shot!