Is anyone else doing the Atkins diet?

Options
I started today and decided to do low carb, anyone else? Looking to get some pointers or tips.

Replies

• Jessicajoyus
    Jessicajoyus Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I have done atkins many many times. What would you like to know?
  • Britbratkins3
    Options
    Considering I'm on a diet and my last name is Atkins, I guess I am on the Atkins' diet. lol jk. Actually my diet is the complete opposite of the 'Atkins Diet'.
  • Britbratkins3
    Options
    But my grandma did that diet and she said that the Atkins' snack bars were a life saver.
  • sovannac
    sovannac Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    I've done it.. Lots of eggs and cheese for me.
  • angelacooper3
    angelacooper3 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Did it many years ago, dropped 35lbs, put some back but have kept 21lbs of it off these last 8 years. Too restrictive for me now as have to eat veggie at work but am aiming to try and stay a way under my carb limit here and a fair bit over on my protien. At its simplest for me its about staying out of the bread. A couple of slices of toast for breakfast and two rounds of sandwiches at work used to make a big dent in my calories for the day where I'm probably now eating food with a much better nutritional payoff.
  • SwimFan1981
    SwimFan1981 Posts: 1,430 Member
    Options
    I had tried pretty much every fad diet over the past 15 or so years, this includes Atkins. If you don't mind giving up fruit and some vegetables and having smelly breath you will be ok :laugh:
    I did lose weight but I put it back on pretty quickly when I started eating fruits and veggies (I feel like crap when I don't eat healthy food).
    I packed the fad diets in last year, I now eat a healthy balanced diet and combine it with exercise, for me, this seems to be the only real way to lose weight and sustain it.
    However, everyone is different and one may not work for me might be amazingly beneficial for the next person. Good luck on your journey! :flowerforyou:
  • mikoodles
    mikoodles Posts: 139
    Options
    I lost 30 pounds on Atkins, and gained it all back after I started eating normally again. (Not poorly mind you, just more carbs)

I still use Atkins, however, as part of a cleanse. It helps me kick-start weight loss.
  • angelacooper3
    angelacooper3 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Ooohps double post. Edited
  • martinah4
    martinah4 Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    Hello! There's a bunch of people doing Atkin's here, or some version of low-carb. I started it in 2011, and lost 67 pounds. I got pregnant, gained about 15 pounds back, and have maintained for a year, now I'm back to Atkin's to lose the rest of the weight I wanted to lose.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    For similar principles, but more focused on healthy foods, check out the South Beach diet.
  • amehrkens
    amehrkens Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I just started the Atkins yesterday. I have done it in the past and lost abut 63 lbs and then I totally went off the wagon and gained all of that back. I know the Atkins works for me so my plan is to do it for a while and completely follow the program where you slowly add carbs back in. My husband and a couple of my good friends have been sucessful with the Atkins as well.
  • MelodyinGa
    MelodyinGa Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I had weight loss surgery in July 2012 and am on a low carb, high protein plan. No more than 40 grams of carbs per day and 80/90 grams of protein. I really don't count fat or calories.
  • bigtim27
    Options
    I started it today. I did it 10 years ago and lost 125lbs. Time to do it again
  • RobynMWilson
    RobynMWilson Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    I have done atkins many many times. What would you like to know?

If you've done it many times, have you maintained using Atkins?
  • zaph0d
    zaph0d Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    Do you have something against losing weight permanently?
  • fit4lifeUcan2
    fit4lifeUcan2 Posts: 1,458 Member
    Options
    I did it about 10 years ago and lost about 30 lbs on it. Put it all back on plus another 30. It was too restrictive. I gag at the thought of doing it again. Finding that just eating proper portions is helping me lose the weight better and I'm learning better eating habits that are not going to be hard to stick with over the long term. Remember that in order for any diet to work you have to be able to stay with it forever or you will gain it all back as everyone here has said. I would go for something more sustainable and more realistic. Do you really want to give up carbs forever? Eat such a high protein diet forever? LA weight loss is 2 weeks of atkins. I did that diet plan as well. They slowly add on more foods every week after that first 2 weeks. It was really hard getting through those 2 weeks without gagging over all the protein. They wanted me to eat as much protein as possible non stop for those 2 weeks they said to jump start my metabolism. After that I couldn't stand to even smell protein cooking without feeling sick.
  • RobynMWilson
    RobynMWilson Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    If Atkins is so successful then why am I seeing everyone here "doing it again"??

While I tend to eat higher protein, my carbs are around 35%. I wouldn't do a diet like Atkins w/o doc approval b/c a high protein diet can be taxing on the kidneys over the long term. And if you have a high energy lifestyle or kids to chase after, you may want the energy from carbs.

I'm NOT a fan of diets, especially diets that limit eliminate an entire food group. I lost weight the slow and sensible way, by portion control and exercise, and have kept it off for over 20 years. You can reset your macros to 35% protein, 35% carbs and 30% fats and see how you do. That's lower carb, but not necessarily LOW carb.

I guess seeing the processed crap Atkins puts out, laden with crap, that totally discredited that name to me. Eating bacon all day, every day CAN'T be a good eating plan! lol
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    If Atkins is so successful then why am I seeing everyone here "doing it again"??

Bingo.
  • martinah4
    martinah4 Posts: 583 Member
    Options

While I tend to eat higher protein, my carbs are around 35%. I wouldn't do a diet like Atkins w/o doc approval b/c a high protein diet can be taxing on the kidneys over the long term. And if you have a high energy lifestyle or kids to chase after, you may want the energy from carbs.

I'm NOT a fan of diets, especially diets that limit eliminate an entire food group. I lost weight the slow and sensible way, by portion control and exercise, and have kept it off for over 20 years. You can reset your macros to 35% protein, 35% carbs and 30% fats and see how you do. That's lower carb, but not necessarily LOW carb.

I guess seeing the processed crap Atkins puts out, laden with crap, that totally discredited that name to me. Eating bacon all day, every day CAN'T be a good eating plan! lol

This will be my 3rd year doing Atkins. The first two times were successful, but I did it with a plan of stopping when I reached a goal, instead of making it a lifestyle change. So, yes, Atkins is my permanent way of eating now. Some people do not research Atkins, or do it incorrectly (re: there own way), and fail. Then, blame Atkins. Some people cheat, or just give up because they're not able to commit. There are people here that will eat this way as a fad, and as with any diet, once you go back to your old eating habits, you're going to gain your weight back. There are also a lot of people here who have eaten an Atkins/Paleo/(insert your low-carb plan) for years and years, and have not only lost and maintained, but are very healthy, and do very high energy workouts daily.

I feel like a broken record, but I'll say it again for you: low carb does not mean "eating bacon all day". Atkins promotes a healthy balance of veggies, "good" fat, and protein. It steer's you away from sugary and processed foods. Please do some research before you start slamming something you only seem to know about from hearsay.
  • karflowers
    Options
    I was going to ask the same thing about the need to redo again after some years. If it is as effective as it is, then why would there be a need to go back to it? Is it safe to say it's a band aid solution? I think I need more of an approach that I can handle from today and on.

I have always said that having been blessed to have been born into a Latino family, there's no way in heck I'd skip out on our wonderful (yes, carb-rich foods) for some months, let alone a lifetime! I can do it for 2 weeks, tops!, to lose some weight quick, but forever.... NADA!