Any new runners?

Options

Replies

• demorelli
    demorelli Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    I actually just restarted running a couple days ago. I used to be able to run a few miles nonstop. Right now I'm just working on not having to switch to walking every 2-3 minutes.
  • Solly123
    Solly123 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Hi All

Started C25K and just did Week 3 Day 1 last night. Am running on a treadmill at the moment. I plan to finish the C25K on the treadmill and then start outside.
    My problem running is speed. I shoot off at 100 miles an hour and am exhausted after a minute.. I find the treadmill keeps me paced and I can manage the whole exercise pretty ok..
    Sort of dreading moving outside, but I hope that I'll have got the feel of the paces by then and I should be able to slow my running down..
    Knee quite painful today after last nights run - but if its not perfect tomorrow, I'll strap it up for W3 D2 tomorrow evening on the treadmill..
    Not shifting any weight whatsoever, but hoping I'll start toning up a bit once I get into the longer runs..
    Also planning to start "30 Day Shred" this weekend and have got "Ripped in 60" (or is it 30) when I finish that.

Running is what I'd love to get good at though. Currently the 30 mins on C25K has me sweating buckets and totally wrecked by the end. But I feel great once I've showered and calmed down. Want to be one of those fit 40 somethings with loads of energy.. Currently I'm a lazy overweight 40 something.. But 2013 is my year.. Running - here I come!! :-)
  • DiannaMoorer
    DiannaMoorer Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    I'm not new to running but I do love running. I just ran my 2nd half marathon Sat. and am training for my third one in April. And in July I'm running my 4th half marathon. I have a goal in 2014 to run my first marathon. Send me a request. I would love to have more runner friends!
  • pamelagold
    Options
    Today is my week 2 day 1 too!
  • krebsi
    krebsi Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    i am kind of new to running... started two month ago in the gym and at the weekends in the forrest.
    love it and with the right music its a lot of fun!
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    Not really new; I've just been on a running break. Getting started again is so hard, so am using a Couch to 10K app. It's a 14 week program, but having run in the past (got a couple 10k races under my belt), I started in week 4. I've been doing it for 2 weeks and now I look forward to running now. Shoes are important for running so make sure you get fitted at a specialty running shop.

Cleveland Half Marathon May 19, 2013! :drinker:
  • HypersonicFitNess
    HypersonicFitNess Posts: 1,219 Member
    Options
    I'm not new to running but training for my first half marathon; it's March 26th. I'm in week 11 of my training...so not even just starting my training but feel free to add me.
  • andreamarieroberts
    andreamarieroberts Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    YAY FOR RUNNING! I started C25K in August - Ran my first race in October. I just started training for the half. I have NEVER run in my life. This is so new for me, and absolutely exhilirating. For someone who has been obese all her life (still is!), and who has super big boobs, this is a huge deal. I feel so good about life since I started running. HAPPY CHEMICALS UNLEASHED!
    Runners: Friend me!:bigsmile:
  • flanyo
    flanyo Posts: 15
    Options
    I am new to running!! I find it very hard.... I have just started running as I can no longer afford a gym. I struggle running on the path as the ground is very unforgiving and there are many hills in Sheffield. Running on the street around where I live is a default option to get out and do some exercise. I can only manage about 20-25 mins at a pace of 6mph on average.

If anyone has any words of advice or tips they would be very welcomed - also add me if you wish : )
  • karebear111
    karebear111 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I'm starting the C25K this week - AGAIN! I'm registering for a 10K in June for the motivation, using the 10K for Pink app... could definitely use all the motivation I can get!!! ;-)
  • SRH7
    SRH7 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me too. Did C25K last year as a complete newbie to running (if I can do it anyone can!).

Have been unwell for a couple of months and haven't run recently, so restarted C25K again this week to get me back into it (did second run today).

Couple of good free podcasts for anyone starting out:

* NHS: http://www.nhs.uk/LiveWell/c25k/Pages/couch-to-5k.aspx
    * Chubby Jones: http://chubbyjones.com/

Did the NHS one first time round but have switched to Chubby for a change of music and style. Both have music and voiceovers to encourage you and give advice.

And, of course, the C25K group on MFP is great: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/30-couch-to-5k-running-program-c25k
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Options
    I am new to running!! I find it very hard.... I have just started running as I can no longer afford a gym. I struggle running on the path as the ground is very unforgiving and there are many hills in Sheffield. Running on the street around where I live is a default option to get out and do some exercise. I can only manage about 20-25 mins at a pace of 6mph on average.

If anyone has any words of advice or tips they would be very welcomed - also add me if you wish : )

Start slooooooooooow! If you hit it too hard in the beginning you're more likely to get frustrated and quit (like me). Smartphone? Use a couch to 5k app.
  • reggie2run
    reggie2run Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    No new to running....but would love to add some new running friends. :smile:

Been running for 7 years and I am running my second Half in about a week.
  • flanyo
    flanyo Posts: 15
    Options

Start slooooooooooow! If you hit it too hard in the beginning you're more likely to get frustrated and quit (like me). Smartphone? Use a couch to 5k app.

Yep ok, will remember that. I do tend to be an all or nothing person. I'll have a look at that app too, I have a basic windows smartphone and will see if it is available on that platform, cheers!
  • painauxraisin
    painauxraisin Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Right! The shoes are on, and I'm off out the door. See you all in a bit!
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Options

Yep ok, will remember that. I do tend to be an all or nothing person. I'll have a look at that app too, I have a basic windows smartphone and will see if it is available on that platform, cheers!

I am the same: all or nada. I have to keep telling myself not to do too much too soon. I'm also impatient as can be. Not a good combo! Good luck
  • Doodlewhopper
    Doodlewhopper Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    I just posted this on my profile:

Im very selective in the books I read and will not even finish a crappy one. I am now reading Born To Run and I am savoring it. I dont wont the book to end. Anyone who is a runner, especially a new runner, should jump on this book. I cant begin to express how informative, entertaining & revolutionary this book is.... http://www.amazon.com/Born-Run-Hidden-Superathletes-Greatest/dp/0307279189
  • painauxraisin
    painauxraisin Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I'm back! It was brilliant/horrible and I can't wait to do it again on Friday!
  • mydoc3
    mydoc3 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Anyone can feel free to add me too. I am new to running. Tried a little last year but just started C25K last week. I am on week 2 day 2 (completed this morning). Not really caring if I run any races just want to be able to run for the exercise.

Happy running all!! :)
  • Play_outside
    Play_outside Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    What's gympact? I frequently use the Runkeeper app and I love it. When I did C25k and B25k before I programmed all of the workouts into Runkeeper and have now done the same for when I start again (new phone). I love that it gives me so many stats.
    YOou should use Runkeeper app and Gympact, earn some money while you run!