Coffee????

Replies

• caseythirteen
    caseythirteen Posts: 956 Member
    I stopped using sugar in my coffee years ago but I don't think I could go all the way black. I just love my cream. I measure out 1.5 tbsp of half and half though so it doesn't add up to much. Well worth it to me! I tried almond milk once but didn't like that either.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    I have actually kept the creamer and sugar. I never really used a lot anyway. Less than half a tsp of sugar in my coffee and then a tsp of creamer. I have given up sodas pretty much completely, less one on Saturdays as a reward, so I allow myself that little bit of bliss.
  • VanessaGS
    VanessaGS Posts: 514 Member
    I went from drinking coffee everyday to drinking it maybe once or twice a month when I stop by Starbucks. I switched to green tea. I do miss the coffee, but research says it stores fat. Since I cut it out I've been more energized and losing weight. They also say the caffeine will eventually make you crash.
  • YoungD33
    YoungD33 Posts: 48 Member
    I was in the same boat when it comes to cream and sugar in coffee! I tried flavored coffee and just add 1 single flavored creamer to it. Not so bad, took some getting used to but now I LOVE IT!! :drinker:
  • I just add very little coffee mate and splenda has not affected my weightloss what so ever.
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    This is a great case for my belief that taste is learned and therefore can be unlearned. If you we're raised in a different country, you would have a completely different taste. If you we're raised in the same area, but different parents, you might also have a completely different taste for foods. When people say they like this or that, or don't like certain foods, I know what they mean, but it's mostly a learned response. In other words, it isn't real.
  • Nina1007
    Nina1007 Posts: 150
    I drink coffee everyday too. I use 2 tbsp of coffeemate's Italian sweet cream. It's 70 calories, and sweetens & thickens my coffee just enough. I typically hate to drink my calories (I'd rather eat them), but this is absolutely worth it to me.
  • Hey that sounds like a good trick - I will give it a shot tomorrow :-)
  • MelissR75
    MelissR75 Posts: 735 Member
    I don't think I could ever give up my cream and sugar....
    Amen!!
  • ampm5
    ampm5 Posts: 2
    Love the idea about the flavored coffee... Thanks! :smile:
  • MadameLAL
    MadameLAL Posts: 108
    Another few suggestions for getting accustomed to black coffee.

1. Get a good medium roast coffee. I buy Equal Exchange Columbian, but there are many excellent varieties.

2. Lose the plastic automatic drip machine, if you use it. Either get a French press, or use this ceramic drip cone to make a single cup of coffee:

http://www.amazon.com/Bee-House-Ceramic-Coffee-Dripper/dp/B0047VX4WO
  • bekinator
    bekinator Posts: 103
    Yep! But now that I save calories, I spend more coin on getting quality coffee, now that I can taste it and all...

When I don't have the option (somebody offers me Folgers or my Mexican mom-in-law gives me Nescafé), I can't help but doctor it to cover up the nasty... but those times are few & far between.

When making my own, I've learned nothing tastes better than a truly QUALITY unobstructed black cup of joe!

P.S. If you let it get cold, it turns bitter & flat-flavored, even the high quality stuff...

P.P.S. Also, flavored beans are regular coffee beans soaked in oils & syrups before they get to the brewing stage. *bleh* q-;
  • RideaYeti
    RideaYeti Posts: 211 Member
    Yep! But now that I save calories, I spend more coin on getting quality coffee, now that I can taste it and all...

When I don't have the option (somebody offers me Folgers or my Mexican mom-in-law gives me Nescafé), I can't help but doctor it to cover up the nasty... but those times are few & far between.

When making my own, I've learned nothing tastes better than a truly QUALITY unobstructed black cup of joe!

P.S. If you let it get cold, it turns bitter & flat-flavored, even the high quality stuff...

P.P.S. Also, flavored beans are regular coffee beans soaked in oils & syrups before they get to the brewing stage. *bleh* q-;

Amen!
  • vanguardfitness
    vanguardfitness Posts: 720 Member
    I like my women like I like my coffee.

Black and filled with cream?
  • gin_gin
    gin_gin Posts: 184
    I use to have to have bout 6 spoons of sugar and heavy cream, now Im doing no cream and only one sugar
    that ONE sugar just makes a difference I cant kick it lol
  • Brittany3914
    Brittany3914 Posts: 258 Member
    I've only ever drank black coffee. Fancy $5 coffees at Starbucks gross me out, to be totally honest. But so does $1 Kwik Trip coffee that might be warming for hours before you pour a cup.

Here's what you do:
    Buy a coffee bean grinder
    Buy whole bean coffee
    Grind said beans. Brew coffee
    (For added pleasure: Buy a french press)

Try adding a sprinkle of cinnamon or a splash of skim milk. It can jazz up your coffee without all the guilt and sugar.
  • Brittany3914
    Brittany3914 Posts: 258 Member
    I like my women like I like my coffee.

Strong and black?
  • This is something I'm wrestling with. I drink strong coffee with coffeemate liquid french vanilla..always have. I know it's bad and I'm drinking way more calories than I need to, but I'm stubborn and *need* my coffee. I will try cinnamon and see how that goes.
  • watfordjc
    watfordjc Posts: 304 Member
    I used to drink my tea and coffee very white with two sugars.
    Then I started drinking my tea strong with one sugar, and my coffee black with two sugars.
    These days I drink 250-500 mL of semi-skimmed goats milk a day. If I have a tea or coffee somewhere I ask for it black and add some of my milk. Since I'm going to drink the milk anyway, it is calorie free.