Sugar problem

Options
2»

Replies

• rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I don't trust any diet that considers fruit off limits. Or even says to regulate it beyond keeping within calories.
  • marsellient
    marsellient Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    If those discussing would like information about diabetes see http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0002194/

Diabetes is a disease in which there are high levels of sugar in the blood caused by too little insulin, resistance to insulin, or both.
  • kayla2709
    kayla2709 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Maybe try mixing it all up and not having fruit in the morning every morning. the more you vary your diet the better your body responds.
    Read this ......its totally worth it in every way!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-1256509/Eating-fruit-make-fat.html
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Unless you have a sugar related problem such as diabetes, eating sugar isn't bad. Fruit is very nutritious and delicious so eat to your hearts content :drinker:

How does sugar effect diabetes differently than other carbs?

Honest question

I believe it's because because sugar is a simple carb so it spikes blood sugar much more quickly than complex carbs. The quick spike requires insulin to regulate, which is where diabetics have the problem.

Is this a guess or a actual answer? Sounds like garbage all gluecose in the blood would need insulin

It's a combo guess vs actual answer. My father is diabetic and that's what his dietician told him. And yes, all glucose needs insulin, but there's an acceptable level of glucose to have in your blood. The complex carbs are more like time-release drugs so the glucose level in the blood doesn't spike super-high all at once.

Idk-that's what my father was told and while he does watch his diet, he's not insulin dependent anymore. Could be a load of horsesh!t for all I know.

Many dietitians have changed that. They say to count net carbs (total carbs minus fiber grams) instead of sugar grams.

OP, MFP sets the sugar intake super low. Just ignore it and track total carbs.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    unles youre eating a quart of berries a day i wouldnt worry about eating too much fruits and vegetables...

i mean, you could switch to Ramen if you dont want any nutrients.
  • bluefish49
    bluefish49 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I was stuck, and my trainer said it was the sugar. I would start off the morning with a bananna, and also eat other fruit as snacks. Healthy, right? Not for me. Once I eliminated the fruit, the weight started coming off again. Everyone is different.

I also found a great yougurt that only has 2g of sugar, so I can get a "taste" of fruit. Kroger CARBmaster.

The only possible answer is the sugar?

No, but sugar was critical piece in the puzzle FOR ME. I eat under my calorie goal and do my exercise. I can eat fruit, but have to include the sugars to stay under 40 a day. So I personally have chosen to shy away from fruit more. That doesn't mean that I am going to shun it completely, but I am no longer buying a bunch of banannas or a bag of apples. Pluckm one off a hotel breakfast bar on a trip - sure. Part of my daily dietary plan - not any more. That may change as I get closer to my final goals.

Oh, and I need to correct myself - the CARBmaster yogurt has 3g of sugar, not 2g as previously stated.
  • nack_23
    nack_23 Posts: 154
    Options
    Unless you have a sugar related problem such as diabetes, eating sugar isn't bad. Fruit is very nutritious and delicious so eat to your hearts content :drinker:

Simple sugars are bad.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

Simple sugars are bad.
    So fruit is bad?
  • Vamtn
    Vamtn Posts: 2
    Options
    wish I could get of suger...I have changed and 1/2 of what I used to....the problem is....I cant stand "diet" drinks, food,medicines (yes)..when I happen to drink a diet drink, it makes me sick!!! Every diet sugar...tried, and cant handle it... trying water with little bit of lemon...green tea (just little bit of sugar).... I keep trying...
  • LauraEMaurer
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the input. I think I will stick with eating my favorite fruits and hope the sugar doesn't hold me back on my goals!
  • AvsFreak
    AvsFreak Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Just count overall carbs.

I always have cottage cheese with strawberries, blueberries and other things every night before bed. (check my diary if you want) Sometimes I will even eat cereal for desert. Still lost a ton of weight and I have never counted sugar.

Stay within your calorie goal (calories in vs calories out) = Success.
  • kmorganlfc
    kmorganlfc Posts: 115 Member
    Options

Honest question

There's thing called the glycaemic index which places carbs/sugars on a scale of how quickly absorbed they are into the blood stream. Sugar is high on the index, whereas multigrain breads are lower down. The higher the glaecemic index rating, the quicker it will produce a glucose spike. So not all carbs are effectively the same - especially for a person with diabetes as this thing was designed to help those. Saying that, sugar isn't the great evil for diabetics as it was once thought. Eating healthily and not going over your calorific needs is the most important, so you can eat sugar. However, because it's absorbed quickly and quickly burned up, it isn't the best of things to stave off hunger, which brings problems with it as we all know.
  • kmorganlfc
    Options

Honest question
    Sugar builds up in the blood of a type 1 diabetic because it is unable to produce insulin, a hormone needed for sugar uptake and use by the body's cells, tissues and organs. A type 2 diabetic experiences high blood sugar levels because the body either cannot produce a sufficient amount of insulin, or the body cannot make use of the insulin it generates

Are you sure it builds up in the blood? I thought it got eventually excreted through the urine

This is probably the least helpful answer in this thread

Most of the sugar/glucose is excreted through the urine. This is why diabetics need to pee a lot. However, some of the glucose gets trapped inside very fine capiliaries - especially those in the retinas and nerve endings - which can result in some very nasty problems. Also, high levels of glucose in the blood can have an effect of coating the heamoglobin with glucose crystals and thereby reducing the red blood cells ability to transport oxygen - this can lead to high blood pressure and eventually a heart attack. This 'glyceration' of the heamoglobin happens to everyone, but does so at a higher rate for diabetics. But people without diabetes needn't worry about this, as our blood changes every three months or so, and then the process starts all over again. A test called Hba1c measures this rate of glyceration and is a more reliable indicator of the level of type 2 diabetes that someone may be suffering.
  • NinjaJinja
    NinjaJinja Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Ok, I have to chime in about the diabetes and sugar. My mother is a diabetic and insulin dependent. She is require to count CARBS, not the "sugars" on the nutrition label. She doses herself with her pump based on the number of carbs she is eating. It's actually the carb counting that is more important in her situation rather than counting sugar.
  • ShirleeDari
    Options
    Sugar does matter - my husband has diabeties but more because of his diet not because he needs to have more insulin. I have been trying to diet for a long time and as I have cut down my sugars and anything white I have lost 3 kilos in a couple of weeks. Stevia is a natural sugar that has no calories and is recommended by DR Oz and nutristionists. Becareful of your carb intake.
  • kmorganlfc
    Options
    This is perfectly correct - carbs are the important figures. But if we got all our carbs from just sugar, we'd be very hungry all day which would encourage us to go over on our carbs. So in an indirect sense, sugar isn't good. But diabetes is such a complex illness that what may have a bad effect on one person may be ok for another. :smile: