What time is dinner time?

Options

Replies

• WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Just wanting to know what time people normally eat dinner around?

I dont even start cooking til 7p.m because I dont want to eat at 5p.m and be hungry before I go to bed. And yes, I know that all nutritionists/doctors/trainers etc would say this is bad but it works for me.

Whats works for you?

We like to eat about 5:30, but I haven't been getting home from work until 6:30, so it's usually after seven. *HOWEVER* of late, I've been preparing meals a day in advance and having the family heat it up so that it's hot when I get home, then cook the next day's meal after I eat. This works out better since the kids eat lunch at school at like 11am.
  • GoddessG
    GoddessG Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I prefer to eat two meals a day. 10:00-10:30 and 4:00-4:30 ish. But then, I'm a morning person. I like to get up around 3-4, so I'm generally heading to bed at 8PM. If I get hungry, it's easier to talk myself out of eating because I'm already in bed. But if I'm really REALLY hungry, I can have a protein shake. It's only 100 calories, no carbs, no fat, and I can always use more protein
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    We typically eat anywhere between 8:30 and 9:30 p.m. And it is our biggest meal of the day.
  • msrootitooti
    msrootitooti Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    We eat as family so during the work week it is about 6 or 6:30. On the weekends it is earlier, around 5:30 or so.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    It does matter what time you eat depending on what time you go to bed. You shouldnt really be eating after 7/7.30. Your body needs time to digest your food, otherwise say if your eating at 10 and u go to bed straight after that food digests and is stored as fat!!.

My partner is a personal trainer and he also sticks by that rule, no food after 7.30.

I have been sticking to that and training 3 days a week for half an hour doing set days such as Monday= leg day, Tuesday= Whole body etc.

I hope this helped

Shann xx

This ^^ is nonsense. It won't hurt you to eat this way, but your body absolutely will not turn undigested food to fat if you fall asleep. It will do the same thing it always does, just more slowly.
  • justlittlem
    Options
    I typically eat around 5.15, we used to eat later but that works more with my schedule now.
  • spetermann190
    spetermann190 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Anywhere from 5:00 - 8:00 or so ... busy lives with 3 boys in and out doing all sorts things ... we just do best to make it work where as many of family can eat together as possible ... seems work fine (but I snack on nuts, yogurt, etc... if much later then 6:00 or 6:30)
  • randrews0407
    randrews0407 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    There is no such thing as eating late per se, its all about the deficit...you just want your last meal to be 2-3 hours before you sleep. So if you go to bed midnight, dinner at 9-10pm is fine. If you go to bed at midnight, dinner (or your last meal) shouldn't have been at 6pm.

That being said, I usually eat dinner around 8pm. I go to sleep around 11pm.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    I eat between 5:30 and 6:00 so my son has lots of time for homework. Plus I'm hungry then after my 12:00 lunch.

I have dessert around 8:30/9:00 when I'm done with chores, sit down, and relax.
  • pineygirl
    pineygirl Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Pretty late usually. Anywhere from 8-9:30pm, depending on then I get home from work and whaty I'm cooking. I don't get home sometimes until 8pm, then start cooking.
  • atucker0821
    atucker0821 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    i eat between 5 and 6.oo

i agree that it doesn't matter what time you eat as long as you maintain a deficit...i don't sleep well on a full stomach.
  • FITnFIRM4LIFE
    FITnFIRM4LIFE Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    8-9PM :-) Like to eat later,More time to relax and enjoy;-)
  • thingal12
    thingal12 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I eat around 5:45pm.

I get home from work at about 5pm (depending on traffic, it could be as early as 4:45pm or as late as 5:15pm). I should mention that I leave for work at 6:55am and I get to work at 7:30am.
  • cuterbee
    cuterbee Posts: 545
    Options
    If you don't have reflux, I don't think it matters. If you do have reflux, you shouldn't eat within several hours of going to sleep.
  • Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    Between 5 and 8. I go to bed between 10-11. I rarely snack after dinner, but occasionally on a "hungry day" I'll be laying in bed and realize I'm hungry.. I mean ACTUAL hunger, not just a craving, So if that happens, I eat something small and I sleep like a baby.

Also dinner is my biggest meal. I tried switching it to have my big meal early but I just wound up eating a big meal early... then still eating a big meal at dinner time! That made no sense! Right now I consume about half my daily calories for dinner.
  • XtyAnn17
    XtyAnn17 Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    5-5:30
  • alapoint89
    Options
    530-6pm
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    I do believe it does matter! I just read several articles the other day about how eating less than three hours before bedtime will not give your body time to burn the necessary calories while you sleep. You will only gain weight as you sleep instead of burn calories.

Please stop telling people this. You are so wrong it is almost comical. It's an absolute crock to say your body doesn't burn calories while you sleep. If your heart is beating, your body is burning calories. Period.

It does not freaking matter when you eat dinner, in terms of weight loss. From a digestive standpoint, some people don't sleep well with a full stomach, and those people can improve their sleep by avoiding eating shortly before bed. But I promise your body is not going to go all "If you had eaten dinner 3 hours ago, I would've burned all those calories, but since you ate 30 minutes ago, I'm going to store all of it as fat just to teach you a lesson." That's ridiculous.

To answer the OP, I eat dinner between 6 and 7, depending on when I finish training.
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    Options
    I'm Hispanic and in our household, we don't eat before 9pm and my mother only starts to cook dinner at past 8pm.

I typically eat between 10pm to 12mn.

It does matter what time you eat depending on what time you go to bed. You shouldnt really be eating after 7/7.30. Your body needs time to digest your food, otherwise say if your eating at 10 and u go to bed straight after that food digests and is stored as fat!!.

My partner is a personal trainer and he also sticks by that rule, no food after 7.30.

I have been sticking to that and training 3 days a week for half an hour doing set days such as Monday= leg day, Tuesday= Whole body etc.

I hope this helped

Shann xx
    Sorry but that is completely false and unhelpful at all. See if meal timing does matter then how come people from Spain and Latin America has a lower obesity rate compared to US despite them eating as late as 11pm? Also it doesn't matter whether a trainer does it or not, they are just humans who commit mistakes too. Whether you eat at 7:30 or 10pm, as long as you are eating on a calorie surplus then you'll still gain weight guaranteed.
  • Marion_
    Marion_ Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Here in France we NEVER eat before 7pm, and it is usually around 8... So no nutritionist would recommand to eat before, because it would simply be impossible to ask that to somebody :D. We do have obesity problems here but nothing worst than any other western country ;)

In Spain, they don't eat before 9pm

Anyway, I think it is not a question of time :)