Cruelty Free products and food

Options
2»

Replies

• daffodilsoup
    daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I LOVE Urban Decay! I have their NAKED eye shadow palette among others. I recently bought a facial cleanser from www.nakedeyebeauty.com that is 100% vegan and of course is not animal tested. The bonus part was my purchase went towards a dog rescue :) My friend told me about LUSH and how great it is. I also downloaded the leaping bunny list on my iphone.

About the meats and dairy, I know its not completely cruelty free :( I actually do not eat pork or beef (I quit a month ago) and surprisingly do not crave it at all. Its the chicken and turkey that I would have a hard time letting go of. I wish I could give it all up. I hate the way the animals are treated. Regardless of being slaughtered, I still feel they should be able to live a good life. Like you suggested, I actually looked up some of the local farmers here in Missouri last week. I'm still doing research on it though. With the dairy and eggs, I would just like to make sure that they are free to roam and not being pumped with hormones. I was told that cows actually produce better tasting milk when they are NOT stressed. Is that true?

Some things are harder to give up than others, and I applaud you for getting "off" pork and beef. It doesn't have to be an all or nothing transition, so don't be too hard on yourself about it.

What protein sources do you use? When I crave meat, I love a good chunk of seitan covered in mushroom gravy with a baked potato and some veggies or a slab of lentil loaf - it brings me back to that "meat and potatoes"-style dinner that I miss sometimes. As far as poultry goes, chicken-style seitan or Tofurky deli slices can be good substitutes.

With "free-range" eggs, you'll definitely have to stick to local farmers - and even then, be wary. As long as there is a door on the building, they can label eggs and poultry as "free range", even if the chickens are crowded into the building and rarely see sunlight.

I've never heard of cows producing better milk when they are not stressed, but the process of obtaining cow's milk for humans is inherently stressful because they systematically take their calves away so that it doesn't drink the milk produced to sell. I'd suggest watching the movie Earthlings - it really opened my eyes about the truths of dairy and how it goes hand-in-hand with the veal industry, which is something I didn't [knowingly] support, even when I ate meat.

I found unsweetened almond milk to be my favorite milk, even more than cow's milk - the unsweetened Silk almond milk is delicious and creamy, only 35 calories per cup and twice the calcium of cow's milk.

Yeeeaah...bout replacing my protein...I need to work on that. LOL! I need to start taking multi vitamins too. My doctor reminds me about that every time I see him. Is this Earthlings movie going to make me cry? I cry over everything. I do like almond milk, I've bought some before. My boyfriend drinks whole milk when he does drink it. He is also a meat lover, especially bacon. He happens to be a chef and told me that, vegans are chefs worst enemies lol. We are just going to have cooperate on each others' food habits.

The more I find out about all of this stuff, the more horrified I am. The truth is the truth though and I have the power to change the way I live :) Honestly, my dream has always been to open a animal sanctuary. I love animals.

Earthlings will definitely make you cry - I cried like a little b*tch when I watched it, but I think it's something that all people should watch, vegan or otherwise. It's definitely upsetting, there's no getting around that, but it's important to really see what goes on behind the different animal industries. Plus, I love the taste of meat, but I can't possibly partake in that knowing the realities of the industry. Every time I would think "well, maybe just a little half and half in my coffee wouldn't hurt...", I think back to that movie and it keeps me on track. They don't call it The Veganmaker for nothing. I know what you mean about crying at everything though, I'm pretty much the same way. I cried during "Babe", the movie about the little pig.

I love that your dream is to open a Sanctuary! I am trying to work out a weekend to go to Farm Sanctuary in upstate NY!
  • Lyssa62
    Lyssa62 Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    kenra -- no animal testing

hard candy makeup -- no animal testing

paul mitchell-- no animal testing and is also an advocate for animal protection

as far as eating..good luck. even the free range farms kill animals in an inhumane way.
  • swirl121
    Options
    I'm LOVING the Body Shop at the mo for all things cosmeticy! They are still cruetly free and listed on www.leapingbunny.org.

Otherwise, I am a superdrug own brand fan.

Anyone got some good shampoo for blonde hair reccommendations? Still struggling with this!

I am now meat free as I can't seem to figure out where to get cruelty free meat in Scotland.

About to venture down the dairy free road. Would love some tips as I see Quorn contans eggs!

xx
  • swirl121
    Options
    kenra -- no animal testing

hard candy makeup -- no animal testing

paul mitchell-- no animal testing and is also an advocate for animal protection

as far as eating..good luck. even the free range farms kill animals in an inhumane way.

Hi do you know where I can buy Paul Mitchell? I can't seem to find it in any shops? Wanted to try their shampoo.

Also totally agree about the free range.

x
  • KTown85
    KTown85 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Daiya Cheese!!!! It is really delicious and they sell it at any whole foods. The mini cookbook "Vegan a Go-go" By Sarah Kramer is great with low-carb, very simple and easy recipes. She runs a website govegan.net. Good luck!
  • Lyerin
    Lyerin Posts: 818 Member
    Options

I found unsweetened almond milk to be my favorite milk, even more than cow's milk - the unsweetened Silk almond milk is delicious and creamy, only 35 calories per cup and twice the calcium of cow's milk.

OMG, I just tried the Almond Breeze combo Almond milk/coconut milk - SO GOOD.
  • freckles_cmj
    freckles_cmj Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Earthlings is well worth a watch and so id Vegucated which is on netflix now. (it covers some of the same issues but a little less graphic)

Kiss my Face is another brand I have even found at my local grocery store that is cruelty free. I have very mixed feelings about Peta, but they do have a pretty comprehensive list on their website of products from food to health and beauty that are cruelty free. I think they even have an app for your phone as well...

If you ever do decide to drop the poultry, eggs and dairy, there is so many other delicious ways to get all the nutrients you need :) I never thought I would be able to give up cheese, but it turned out to be far easier than I thought! And don't let the stereotype of vegans play into your thinking...all of the fellow vegans I have met here are super nice and helpful :)
  • leeann0517
    leeann0517 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Try eatwild.com . They have lists of farms/ranches by location. Depending on where you're from, you should be fairly close to at least a few places that can help you out. I'm in Arizona and I still haven't found a place that does free-range chickens, although we did find beef/pork. Just fyi, it is more expensive but it's worth it to me. Good luck!

whole foods and wegmans carries grass fed meat.....not sure about free-range chickens. I order grass fed beef from La Cense Beef in Montana.
  • gingerveg
    gingerveg Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    Get the leaping bunny app! :)
  • maddiequinlan
    maddiequinlan Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Bump