HRM-All the info I can get...Go!!!

Options
2»

Replies

• 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    So when you are working out it keeps count of ALL calories no matter how fast you go or when you slow down. At the end it gives u the total correct?

Again
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Azdak/view/the-real-facts-about-hrms-and-calories-what-you-need-to-know-before-purchasing-an-hrm-or-using-one-21472

HRMs are still estimates. They are more accurate for steady state cardio. Intervals will not be as accurate. Check the link for ways to get the most accurate reading.

ETA - how to test for accuracy
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/774337-how-to-test-hrm-for-how-accurate-calorie-burn-is
  • Brittany3914
    Brittany3914 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I've been using the Polar FT4 for months. It's simple to use. There's not a lot of bells and whistles but it does everything I'd like it to do. Plus. It's pink and I like that :)

1. I don't notice the chest strap. It's adjustable and fits under your bra strap. Note: always moisten the sensors on the chest strap. If it's too dry, sometimes it doesn't detect your heart rate.
    2. You can pause the timer. A HRM isn't meant for all day wear. It's better if you're walking for a half hour, going to a fitness class, running, etc. Specific exercise.
    3. I wouldn't know. Don't even want to know. Chest strap is the only way to go :)

The FT4 also has a screen light if you're working out in the dark. You can update your weight (the more weight you lose, the more energy it will take to burn huge numbers. Ex: running a mile at 150 pounds might burn 100 calories. running a mile at 130 pounds might burn less..). There's a cake on the screen on your birthday (which actually made my day lol).

I bought mine on Amazon for $75 and free shipping, for comparison.
  • zmoreno10
    zmoreno10 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    it's constantly measuring you from the time you hit start until you tell it to stop. It keeps a running total no matter how slow or fast you go, so you can look at your watch midway through an exercise and see "Oh, I've burned x amount of calories so far!".

I have the Polar RS300x and absolutely love it. The nice thing about Polar monitors is that they work with a lot of different fitness machines so you can easily view your progress while working out without having to stare at your watch every moment.
  • firstnamekaren
    firstnamekaren Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I cannot function without my Polar FT4. I forget I have the strap on. It communicates wirelessly. I would never get an HRM without a chest strap.

IMO, it's the most important key to weight loss.
  • flpmomi
    flpmomi Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I got the Polar FT4 for Christmas in pink!!! I love it!!! Its amazing. Its more accurate than my fitbit. I still use my fitbit for my steps and activeness throughout the day. But the FT4 is amazing and simple to use during workouts!!! :bigsmile:
  • Allup2Me78
    Allup2Me78 Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    I was really thinking that I would like the FT4 because of all the good I have heard and of course I want it in pink..lol!!
  • lqtransformation130
    Options
    I just received my Polar FT4 on Monday and I LOVE it!!!!!! It takes the hassle out of monitoring this monitoring that. All you do is put on the adjustable chest strap with the Polar device facing forward slap the watch on push a button and you are set. The watch is simple to set up just follow the prompts. It also beeps at you when your heart rate is not in fat burning range. Once you rev it up it stops...I soooo love my HRM!!!!! I ordered my from amazon....you won't regret it::))