Replies

• deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    You will be happier with your body if you do 3x Strength training. **hot**
  • mizzie1980
    mizzie1980 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I would do the 3 of weights and 2 of cardio. Actually, I AM doing that, lol. I do 3 days of weights and 2 of spin. You want to maintain your lean muscle mass while you lose weight.
  • gabiinacio
    gabiinacio Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Orginally I was walking/joggin 5 miles 5 days a week and taking a kickboxing class 3 days a week. But then my instructor moved.....

The past 4-5 months, I havent done anything. I fell off the bandwagon. I did Zumba all last week, and yesterday was my first strenght training class. I actually feel alot better, and even sweated alot more during that workout then in Zumba.

OP, how much have you been exercising in the past few months? If you haven't really done a lot, 5 days a week of working out may be too much to start with.

I would suggest only 3 days a week to start (alternate 2 strength, 1 cardio in a week with 2 cardio, 1 strength the next week). After a few months, add another day and go from there. You don't want to burn out by overdoing it.

Good Luck!
  • gabiinacio
    Options
    Yes, this is why I want to include the strenght training in my routine. The strenght class is Mon, Wed, Thur and I believe he does abs during all three sessions and then rotates upper and lower body. Last night was my first night, and I felt great even though i cant sit or walk properly right now. LOL

Doing only cardio is absolutely WRONG and very bad advice, as pointed out above. You need to strength train to maintain as much lean body mass (muscle, etc.) as you can so that the majority of what you lose is fat. If you lose muscle now, it will be much more difficult to build it when you have lost the weight and realize your body is still not tight. You will have to eat more than maintenance to bulk up and actually add the muscle, instead of preserving what you have.

That said, make sure that the 3x strength training would give you a full 48 hours (or close) in between sessions. You need that rest day in between to let the muscles recover (unless you are working completely different body parts, but that is very unlikely, especially in a class).
  • gabiinacio
    Options
    I'm really hoping my body can handle it, and if I have one of those weeks where I cant, then maybe that will be the week I do Zumba instead. My entire lower body is in so much pain right now. hahaha, but I actually feel great. Its a sign I was doing something right, and not sitting in front of the TV.

I agree with this because depending on the intensity of your weight lifting class you could really burn some calories and keep your heart rate levels up during the entire time. Keeping your heart rate level in the "FAT Burning" zone is what i would think that you would want (its what i want.) You get the best of both worlds because your toning at the same time. So.....I would strength train 3x and Zumba 2x. More muscle fibers means more fat is being burned. Cardio has a tendency to work muscle fibers down a bit.
  • Superdave24
    Superdave24 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    If your lower body feels like that listen to it and REST. Your body repairs itself when you rest, thats when the real results take place. You may want to consider taking a day off in the middle of the week from Zumba and replace it with a weekend day if your schedule allows. Otherwise you might burn yourself out. We will all help you through this transition.
  • gabiinacio
    Options
    That is something I might have to do, or figure a way to do. All the classes are at 6pm. Which gives me an hour to get off work, get the kids, go to gym and change. The thing that sucks is that on Saturdays they have a AM Zumba class, which I'd love to switch a day of the week for. However Saturday is the one day the childcare center at the gym is closed.. ugh!

I'm only into week 2, so I'm sure I'll start scheduling everything according to how my body feels, and what it can handle.

If your lower body feels like that listen to it and REST. Your body repairs itself when you rest, thats when the real results take place. You may want to consider taking a day off in the middle of the week from Zumba and replace it with a weekend day if your schedule allows. Otherwise you might burn yourself out. We will all help you through this transition.
  • Abells
    Abells Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    3 day full body strength training. cardio optional.

This. there is no reason to only do cardio until goal weight is hit, do a combo of strength/cardio from the start, just take it slow and be patient.

ba ba ba boooooooooom right on target
  • HypersonicFitNess
    HypersonicFitNess Posts: 1,219 Member
    Options
    Combination; you need both weight training and cardio

I will say if you've never weight trained before you may want to start with 1x per week of weight training, then bump it up to 2x per week, then up to 3x per week - as a beginner I wouldn't jump into 3x per week; you may wind up being to sore to get anything out of your cardio or you future sessions of weight training.

Then alternate weeks 3x per week of weights one week and 2x the next week;
  • CSueB
    CSueB Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    oh my.....you sound like me! I would love to lift more than 3 days but the rules say "no" and running really helps that! :)
  • PetulantOne
    PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    You will be happier with your body if you do 3x Strength training. **hot**

Yup. 3 days strength. 2 days cardio, if you feel like it.
  • gabiinacio
    Options
    After this week, I think I will need to alternate weeks. I havent walked straight since Tuesday. LOL

Combination; you need both weight training and cardio

I will say if you've never weight trained before you may want to start with 1x per week of weight training, then bump it up to 2x per week, then up to 3x per week - as a beginner I wouldn't jump into 3x per week; you may wind up being to sore to get anything out of your cardio or you future sessions of weight training.

Then alternate weeks 3x per week of weights one week and 2x the next week;