Diet fizzy pop

Options
I was wondering if diet fizzy pop such as pepsi max, diet coke and dr pepper zero, have a big impact on a diet? there is very little or no sugar/fat/calories but I've heard people say that fizzy drinks are the worst thing to drink when dieting! help?

Replies

• teamstanish
    teamstanish Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Two new studies have found that even diet sodas can make you gain weight and become fat.

The studies were presented Saturday (June 25) at the meeting of the American Diabetes Association.

The first study looked into data from 474 participants of the San Antonio Longitudinal Study of Aging (SALSA), a large population-based study of the disablement process in elderly Mexican Americans and European Americans.

Measures of height, weight, waist size and diet soda intake were recorded at the SALSA enrollment and then again at three follow-up exams over the following ten years.

The study discovered that people who drank two or more diet sodas daily had their waist size increase six times greater than people who did not drink diet soda at all.

A second study from the University of Texas found that aspartame, a sweetener frequently used in diet soda, increased blood sugar levels in diabetes-prone mice.

Data from this and other prospective studies suggest that the promotion of diet sodas and artificial sweeteners as healthy alternatives may be ill-advised... they may be free of calories, but not of consequences, stated study researcher Helen P. Hazuda, Ph.D.

A study published earlier this year found that people who drink beverages (diet or regular) daily have higher chances of suffering strokes and heart attacks.

In the United States, the number of people who consume foods with artificial sweeteners (like diet soda) has doubled to 160 million during the past 20 years.
    (Source:http://www.ibtimes.com/diet-sodas-linked-larger-waist-circumference-294793)

Mouse study:
    Aspartame consumption in diabetes-prone mice
    In the related project, Ganesh Halade, Ph.D., Gabriel Fernandes, Ph.D., the senior author and professor of rheumatology and clinical immunology, and Fowler studied the relationship between oral exposure to aspartame and fasting glucose and insulin levels in 40 diabetes-prone mice. Aspartame is an artificial sweetener widely used in diet sodas and other products.
    One group of the mice ate chow to which both aspartame and corn oil were added; the other group ate chow with the corn oil added but not the aspartame. After three months on this high-fat diet, the mice in the aspartame group showed elevated fasting glucose levels but equal or diminished insulin levels, consistent with early declines in pancreatic beta-cell function. The difference in insulin levels between the groups was not statistically significant. Beta cells make insulin, the hormone that lowers blood sugar after a meal. Imbalance ultimately leads to diabetes.
    "These results suggest that heavy aspartame exposure might potentially directly contribute to increased blood glucose levels, and thus contribute to the associations observed between diet soda consumption and the risk of diabetes in humans," Dr. Fernandes said.

These two translational research studies resulted from collaboration between Fowler and Drs. Hazuda and Fernandes and their research teams. The Institute for the Integration of Medicine and Science (IIMS) funded the work. IIMS is the Health Science Center entity that oversees the university's Clinical and Translational Science Award (CTSA), a National Institutes of Health-funded program to encourage the rapid translation of scientific discoveries from the laboratory through the testing process and to practical application for the health of communities.
    (Source:http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2011/06/110627183944.htm)

Bottom line, 0 calorie is not 0 consequence!
  • stephshirley
    Options
    wow! I think it's best I steer clear of all fizzy drinks then, even the diet stuff!
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    They're fine. The negative things you hear are based on claims about artificial sweeteners that ignore dosage and context.
  • JUDDDing
    JUDDDing Posts: 1,367 Member
    Options
    I'm not a mouse - so, you know - your mileage may vary - but they don't do anything to my blood sugar.
  • Tw1zzler
    Tw1zzler Posts: 583
    Options
    There is a theory that the artificial sugar tricks the brain into thinking it really had sugar.. but there is no satiety to go along with it which causes you to rebound and eat more food later. I'm sorry i can't quote the source. Tracking your diet and seeing your results should tell you how if affects you. I personally lost a few pounds when I stopped drinking soda... especially when mixed with rum...
  • Summergirl_88
    Options
    I'm always skeptical when I see studies like those because they don't establish causation. We don't know if the study accounted for the general diet of it's participants for example. I saw another one today about diet drinks being linked to depression. I'm not saying diet drinks are good for you, but if you don't drink them excessively you're probably not going to die.
  • 2essie
    2essie Posts: 2,867 Member
    Options
    I was on vacation in USA and overheard a woman talking. She was someone very high up in Coca Cola. She was telling the person she was talking to to never drink coke because it was the worst thing ever to drink. Full of chemicals and things that were not good for you. She said she would never touch it. I have never drunk it since.
  • fIashforward
    fIashforward Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Simply put; its not better than water but its better than regular drinks (for weightloss anyway)
  • Rosie5230
    Rosie5230 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    If you just like fizzy drinks. Arrowhead makes a fizzy water with lime flavor. no sugar, no sugar substitute, no calories, no nothing. and it tastes great. also la croix makes great fizzy water the same way.
  • nicolamoonbrains
    nicolamoonbrains Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Two new studies have found that even diet sodas can make you gain weight and become fat.

The studies were presented Saturday (June 25) at the meeting of the American Diabetes Association.

The first study looked into data from 474 participants of the San Antonio Longitudinal Study of Aging (SALSA), a large population-based study of the disablement process in elderly Mexican Americans and European Americans.

Measures of height, weight, waist size and diet soda intake were recorded at the SALSA enrollment and then again at three follow-up exams over the following ten years.

The study discovered that people who drank two or more diet sodas daily had their waist size increase six times greater than people who did not drink diet soda at all.

A second study from the University of Texas found that aspartame, a sweetener frequently used in diet soda, increased blood sugar levels in diabetes-prone mice.

Data from this and other prospective studies suggest that the promotion of diet sodas and artificial sweeteners as healthy alternatives may be ill-advised... they may be free of calories, but not of consequences, stated study researcher Helen P. Hazuda, Ph.D.

A study published earlier this year found that people who drink beverages (diet or regular) daily have higher chances of suffering strokes and heart attacks.

In the United States, the number of people who consume foods with artificial sweeteners (like diet soda) has doubled to 160 million during the past 20 years.
    (Source:http://www.ibtimes.com/diet-sodas-linked-larger-waist-circumference-294793)

Mouse study:
    Aspartame consumption in diabetes-prone mice
    In the related project, Ganesh Halade, Ph.D., Gabriel Fernandes, Ph.D., the senior author and professor of rheumatology and clinical immunology, and Fowler studied the relationship between oral exposure to aspartame and fasting glucose and insulin levels in 40 diabetes-prone mice. Aspartame is an artificial sweetener widely used in diet sodas and other products.
    One group of the mice ate chow to which both aspartame and corn oil were added; the other group ate chow with the corn oil added but not the aspartame. After three months on this high-fat diet, the mice in the aspartame group showed elevated fasting glucose levels but equal or diminished insulin levels, consistent with early declines in pancreatic beta-cell function. The difference in insulin levels between the groups was not statistically significant. Beta cells make insulin, the hormone that lowers blood sugar after a meal. Imbalance ultimately leads to diabetes.
    "These results suggest that heavy aspartame exposure might potentially directly contribute to increased blood glucose levels, and thus contribute to the associations observed between diet soda consumption and the risk of diabetes in humans," Dr. Fernandes said.

These two translational research studies resulted from collaboration between Fowler and Drs. Hazuda and Fernandes and their research teams. The Institute for the Integration of Medicine and Science (IIMS) funded the work. IIMS is the Health Science Center entity that oversees the university's Clinical and Translational Science Award (CTSA), a National Institutes of Health-funded program to encourage the rapid translation of scientific discoveries from the laboratory through the testing process and to practical application for the health of communities.
    (Source:http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2011/06/110627183944.htm)

Bottom line, 0 calorie is not 0 consequence!

This.

Steer clear of all artificial sweeteners, diet or no diet if you ask me. They slow your metabolism down. Especially avoid aspartame. Avoid diet sodas, chewing gum and some low fat yogurts they are full of these vile sweeteners. When your body tries to break down aspartame it metabolizes into methanol which then converts into formaldehyde. Basically its poison. I personally cannot stand the taste and am super sensitive to the taste of it since I stopped ingesting it. Just tastes like pure chemicals to me. It is actually better for you to have the full fat and sugar products because at least your body can break down the sugars naturally. Your body doesn't know how to cope with all those fake sweet chemicals, 200 times sweeter then sugar! YUCK!! AVOID!!
  • MidwestAngel
    MidwestAngel Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    They're fine. The negative things you hear are based on claims about artificial sweeteners that ignore dosage and context.
    I can't quote this enough!
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    I fear for mankind
  • GNSawkey
    Options
    Effects of Methanol: About 10 percent by weight of aspartame is released as methanol. In the body, methanol converts into formaldehyde and formate. Because formate can cause blindness and metabolic acidosis [Tephly and McMartin, 1984], methanol is toxic when humans consume it in large quantities. In order for the body to accumulate a significant amount of formate, a human must consume 200 to 500 mg of methanol per kg of body weight [Food and Drug Administration, 1984], an amount that corresponds to drinking 600 to 1700 cans of diet soft drink at once.

http://elvis.engr.wisc.edu/uer/uer98/author2/content.html
  • RhonndaJ
    RhonndaJ Posts: 1,615 Member
    Options
    No. They don't.

What the posted studies don't tell you is what the heck the people were eating along with the diet sodas.

As for the mice? Eh. I'm not a mouse.

When it comes to artificial sweeteners, if you're sensitive to them, don't use stuff with them. If you're not sensitive, I doubt they're going to hurt you in the slightest, there's certainly been to studies to say otherwise.
  • DontStopB_Leakin
    DontStopB_Leakin Posts: 3,863 Member
    Options
    I'm not quoting the wall of text "studies" but I will say this:

Check out my ticker. You see that big, shiny number? Yea, I got to that big, shiny number drinking about 2-4 diet sodas a day.
  • AliciaStaton
    AliciaStaton Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Like anything else its all in moderation
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Drink it, and if you find yourself unable to lose weight, eliminate it and see if that helps.

My 93 year old grandmother drinks it daily. I will give it up when you pry it from my cold, dead hands.
  • MidwestAngel
    Options

Check out my ticker. You see that big, shiny number? Yea, I got to that big, shiny number drinking about 2-4 diet sodas a day.

Make sure to add her, she is super motivational. I mean, look at how much she has lost!
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options

Don't listen to her. She's not real, she's a robot.
  • MidwestAngel
    Options
    tumblr_m4ju4mimrb1qcb58yo2_500_zps706ffc8a.gif