How often do you weigh yourself?

Options

Replies

• wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every morning at the same time and log it in a spreadsheet, but I only log an "official" weight every two weeks on Saturdays.

I like weighing daily because it helps me to see natural fluctuations in my weight and how different things affect it like sodium, an excess of dairy, having a splurge meal, having a splurge day, etc. I don't stress out about the daily ups and downs and just use it as a tool to learn about what my body is doing through the process.

But don't put all of your progress faith into the scale. When I was doing my half marathon training last year, I was seeing either no movement on the scale or even occasional increases, but my body was leaner than it had been before I started the training (I had weight training as well as run training in my schedule). So make sure that you are taking measurements as well as weighing.
  • khyudh
    khyudh Posts: 8
    Options
    I only started this a week ago but have made my mind up not to weight myself no more than once a week. Fluid retention could fluctuate and i would be extremely dissappointed if i wasn't doing as well as I had hoped.
  • dorianaldyn
    dorianaldyn Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every single morning - do whatever works for you!
  • fumanskew
    Options
    i weigh myself everyday, but i make sure to take into account water weight, etc. because women tend to hold on to more body weight.

my husband weighs multiple times a day, and i'm trying to break him of that habit because he weighs himself after he eats, but he was a wrestler, so i guess old habits die hard.
  • paulamcampbell
    Options
    Yes no more than once a week in fact I live close to where I Dr at and I go use there scales- They charge nothing for me to go weigh myself and that way it's accurate also.:wink:
  • mscrumbyy
    mscrumbyy Posts: 116
    Options
    At the moment I weigh in every day for monitoring purposes for a health thing but ordinarily I'm useless at remembering. I prefer taking measurements every 2 weeks or so to see the physical changes otherwise I get all scale obsessed and end up sabotaging myself. Once a week is probably ideal though.
  • sreed016
    sreed016 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Once a week for me - that way I don't worry about the small ups and downs during the week.
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    When I was actively working on losing weight - once a month.

On maintenance, I weigh-in every 6-8 weeks or so - whenever I feel like there's been a change that I want to check on.
  • Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself several times a day on most days but I'm not hung up on the number I read. I care about weighing less than I ever did before and maintaining it for many months now, about my blood work showing I am healthy and about my clothes continuing to fit and feel great. So i recommend you weigh yourself as often or in often as you choose :flowerforyou:
  • SmilesIowa
    Options
    I weigh myself some mornings, but I'm only going to post on here once a week!

Good luck!!
  • AliciaStaton
    AliciaStaton Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Hi I weigh myself once a week on a Wednesday first thing before I have my breakfast. It can get too stressful if you do it every day because your weight does change from day to day:bigsmile:
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I weigh every day and I wait until a loss shows for at least two days straight before logging it.
  • VP72
    VP72 Posts: 89
    Options
    I have my official weigh in one a week, which is what I update on here & on my own personal record - but I weigh myself twice a day to keep an eye on how I'm doing!
  • bloomlately
    bloomlately Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    I weigh every other day usually. I try to always remember that fluid retention plays a role in how much I weigh on any given day and I don't record a loss in my journal until the same number pops up consistently for a few days. I don't fret too much over what the scale says otherwise; I focus on how my pants fit or how I look in the mirror.
  • IreneAdler221
    IreneAdler221 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Friday morning is my official weigh-in, but I'll weigh myself daily to satisfy curiosity.

Same here.
  • PriceK01
    PriceK01 Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    I step on it twice a day, but only log when there's a loss.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    I weigh every morning because if I measured once a week I'd put too much emphasis on that one measure.

If I measure every day it bounces around a lot and I'm comfortable with that. If I went down I'm happy. If I went up I can console myself that maybe tomorrow - or later that day - will be better.

Weight bounces around a lot depending on lots of things. FOR ME (other people have the opposite reaction), the more often I weigh, the less I think and worry about it.
  • kcsaville
    kcsaville Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    No right or wrong answer here... If you are going to panic about the little ups and downs that happen from day to day, then I would only weigh yourself once a week. Me personally, I weigh myself every morning. I don't do it to to obsess over the weight. It just keeps me in check from day to day.
  • peacefulsong
    peacefulsong Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I used to do it only once a week because I'd heard that it was better to do that so you don't get too preoccupied by natural fluctuations. But lately I've been trying every morning and I actually prefer that. I find it helps to see those fluctuations and how various things might affect them. But if you're the kind of person who is going to get depressed at every minor upswing, or get obsessive about it, then don't.

ETA: I downloaded an app for my phone called Libra and I record my daily weight on it. It calculates your trend and such, but my 'official' weigh in day for MFP is just once a week. :)
  • Rhea81
    Rhea81 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I weigh in everyday but only do my measurements once per week. And, weighing yourself first thing in the morning is best. If not in the morning at least weight at the same time everyday.