Need something different to do with lentils..not soup!

Options
lajuice7
lajuice7 Posts: 58 Member
Need something different to do with lentils other than soup...

Any ideas...getting bored with spicy curry lentil soup...lol

Can I make some sort of quiche with lentils...? woould welcome any ideas for recipes?

Replies

• concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    I season them like taco meat (onion, cumin, cayenne, paprika) and have taco salads.
  • JennetteMac
    JennetteMac Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    I went to a local pub for a meal at the weekend and had a really tasty lentil cottage pie. There was swede ans carrot in with the lentils, and something savoury to create a gravy, along with some herbs. The topping was potato and cauliflower mash. It was really yummy but you'd have to experiment a little with flavours you like.
  • lajuice7
    Options
    thanks for that :-)

do you soak them overnight first though?
  • janesmith1
    janesmith1 Posts: 1,511 Member
    Options
    Smash them up and make lentil burgers!
    http://allrecipes.com/recipe/lentil-cakes-patties/
  • MissJanet55
    MissJanet55 Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    You can make a great salad with assorted veg and vinaigrette, and they make a delicious vegetarian shepherd's pie.

Have you tried making dal (Indian style lentils)? I love them this way.
  • azalea617
    azalea617 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Lentil loaf!! Vegetarian meatloaf, essentially. :) I love making that. Also, lentil burgers or meatballs, which follow the same recipe pretty much, you just shape them differently.

http://www.food.com/recipe/really-good-vegetarian-meatloaf-really-33921

This is one of the recipes I use. It's always fun to play around with lentils!
  • lajuice7
    Options
    You can make a great salad with assorted veg and vinaigrette, and they make a delicious vegetarian shepherd's pie.

that sounds fab...my daughter loves her curries...have you got a recipe pleeassse?
  • lajuice7
    Options
    Lentil loaf!! Vegetarian meatloaf, essentially. :) I love making that. Also, lentil burgers or meatballs, which follow the same recipe pretty much, you just shape them differently.

http://www.food.com/recipe/really-good-vegetarian-meatloaf-really-33921

This is one of the recipes I use. It's always fun to play around with lentils!

Thank you, I will definitely check this link.
  • dianalee9
    dianalee9 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I substitute lentils for ground beef and make a kind of vegetarian chili. Very quick and super easy! I drain a can of lentils and throw them in a pot with canned tomatoes, some mushrooms, etc. Sometimes I wil throw some chick peas in as well. I don't have an actual recipe. Just take use lentils instead of beef. Delicious!!
  • MissJanet55
    MissJanet55 Posts: 457 Member
    Options

that sounds fab...my daughter loves her curries...have you got a recipe pleeassse?

There are a lot of different variations using different kinds of beans, but I would trust any recipe by Madhur Jaffrey. Try this:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/foodanddrink/recipes/5050514/Madhur-Jaffrey-picks-her-favourite-recipes-Madhurs-daily-dal.html

But if you google "madhur jaffrey lentil" you will get a lot of choices!
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    I've had some delicious lentil burgers in the past (also some not so delicious ones).
  • marsellient
    marsellient Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    Salad, pilaf with barley and lentils: try google recipes and you'll pull up tons of other ideas.
  • lyndabyh
    lyndabyh Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    lentils, canned tomatoes, sauteed onions and some cooked chicken breast. Add curry powder, yum!!!
  • sophayz
    sophayz Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    i had lentils ratatouille for lunch it was quite delicious
  • LaurySch
    LaurySch Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    My mom has made a casserole that is a lot like baked beans - it is yummy!
  • frankensteen
    frankensteen Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I like them seasoned Mexican style (cumin, chili powder, tomato sauce, etc.) on a tortilla. You can put them with all kinds of veggies and stuff! Last time I made that, I mixed the lentils with shredded carrots.
  • Nancy_hc
    Nancy_hc Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Just cook them with some garlic/onion - like regular beans.
    A staple in our home is lentils with a fried egg - they are SO good with some runny yolk on them! mmmm-MMM!
  • adriennejennifer
    Options
    last night I made a salad with lentils and chickpeas, red onion, celery, coriander and parsley, tomato with a dressing of olive oil and lemon juice with cumin and coriander powder. It was truly delicious. Brown and red lentils cooked separately and then rinsed in cold water and drained well. My recipe called for lamb as well but you can leave that out for vegetarians. The chick[peas were my own idea. I soak a large quantity, cook til tender and freeze in small quantities so I always have them handy.
  • Dzambhala
    Dzambhala Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Green lentil Shepard's Pie

I can't remember the exact recipe off the top of my head but its not very complicated,

Oil Spray
    1 large onion , halved and sliced
    2 large carrots in small cubes/slices
    2 tbsp thyme chopped
    200ml red wine
    400g can chopped tomatoes
    2 vegetable stock cubes
    410g can green lentils
    1tbsp Tomato Puree
    mashed potatoes for the topping (smooth over the top with a fork, making lines as you go, pop in the oven for 20 mins @190C/170C fan)

could top with some cheese, or make sweet potato mash or carrot and swede for a change.

I've amde it a few times and its very tasty. You can reheat for lunches or seconds:)
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Go Indian with tarka dal
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/tarkadal_90055

Or traditional English side dish pease pudding. Often served with ham or sausages.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/gammon_and_pease_pudding_56485