Why are brothers so mean?

Replies

• NikkiSixGuns
    NikkiSixGuns Posts: 630 Member
    Because he thinks it's funny. Mine did crazy mean crap to me, too, when I was a kid. Best advice I can give is to ignore it completely. If you react he'll probably find that funny, too.

Also, keep working those biceps then punch him when he least expects it.
  • barkin43
    barkin43 Posts: 508 Member
    I was mean because my sister is a **tch and I would constantly have to clean up her mess with mom.

She's the main reason I never was in that big of a hurry to date.

So, is that why you closed and locked the window when she would sneak out?
  • cuterbee
    cuterbee Posts: 545
    I'm an only child. Be thankful you have someone to fight with :drinker:

This is exactly what my husband says, too.
  • clydethecat
    clydethecat Posts: 1,087 Member
    brothers are jerks until they mature. my brother and i were always at it, he was such a jerk and i hated him. then we got to our mid twenties and i moved in with him. we've been best friends ever since.

he was a jerk, i was a b*tch. we both grew up. it happens, sounds like your brother is not quite fully cooked yet. he will be, just give him time :)
  • LauraMacNCheese
    LauraMacNCheese Posts: 7,173 Member
    My brothers dropped me on my head repeatedly as a child...for those of you who know me, there's your explanation. I also firmly believe it's the reason I maxed out @ 5'1.5" :grumble: :grumble: :grumble:
  • jayche
    jayche Posts: 1,128 Member
    Might be a different dynamic between two brothers but I still fight with my brother all the time about stupid things and we diss each other all the time. At the end of the day we still love each other and have been there for the other during tough times. Guys just tend to be meaner to each other upfront than girls are with other girls. Him being your brother he probably treats you like he would another one of his guy friends.
  • khsmomma
    khsmomma Posts: 6 Member
    One of my brothers called me little fat wad for years. His women were always super thin. He has married again a few years ago and she was tiny then but now is bigger than me, over 200. :laugh:
  • BaileyP3
    BaileyP3 Posts: 151 Member
    One of my brothers called me little fat wad for years. His women were always super thin. He has married again a few years ago and she was tiny then but now is bigger than me, over 200. :laugh:

One of my brothers is the same way. He has always been super slim and into tiny little ladies. Has spent most of his life making remarks about overweight people. And here he is at 51, divorced and supporting his morbidly obese 26 year old daughter. I have to wonder how he feels/what he thinks when he hears people saying mean things about his daughter. I only hope he's stopped referring to her as 'porky' :frown:
  • j75j75
    j75j75 Posts: 854 Member
    not all brothers are mean. I am a brother. My sisters and I are super tight
  • BACONJOKESRSOFUNNY
    BACONJOKESRSOFUNNY Posts: 666 Member
    sparkteens.com :flowerforyou:
  • Midnight_Sunshine
    Midnight_Sunshine Posts: 369 Member
    That's what brothers are for!!
  • Midnight_Sunshine
    Midnight_Sunshine Posts: 369 Member

Ha ha!!! Karma's a BEOTCH!
  • HypersonicFitNess
    HypersonicFitNess Posts: 1,219 Member
    Brothers are born knuckle-heads...ignore them. Mine called me jello butt or jelly butt all the time. Like I said, knuckle-head neanderthals.
  • zephtalah
    zephtalah Posts: 327 Member
    Dudes joke around in general. Just the other day one of my clients had broken his leg and when I saw him at the gym I said "what's up gimpy?"
    My female co worker looked horrified that I said it. Then her mood changed once she saw that we were both cracking up discussing the injury. I even said "if you don't like to train legs, all you had to do was tell me!" More laughter.

I think women in general just take it a little more personal than men do.

^^This

Guys joke in a totally different way than girls do. My brother last year at Thanksgiving started singing the Barney theme song everytime I went by. ( I was 7 months pregnant with TWINS and wearing a purple shirt.) I wanted to cry (stupid pregnancy hormones), but I also knew that sometimes guys can be a little dense about ladies and their feelings.

Edited to add my profile pic is from a few weeks later. So yes I was as big as Barney, but really didn't want to hear about it at the moment.
  • Ghkffb56
    Ghkffb56 Posts: 263 Member
    lol dont take it to personal.. i have 4 brothers and all make fun of me.. call me fat and so on... i don't mind. i guess cause its been happening my whole life.. but i know they are proud of me. try to see it like this when guys say something mean.. they dont mean it.. they are just playing, and dont know how to compliment you the right way.. 99% of the time anyway.. Idk .. i guess that might be my family..

if it really hurts like crying bad.. tell him.. dont hide your feelings from him about it.
  • You should try smoking a fatty together! Enhance the sibling bond. :smokin:

But seriously, some brothers are jerks :flowerforyou: Don't feel too bad. I'm sure he's jealous of your rockin' arms! My bf's brother is 23 and he isn't that nice still! Some take awhile to mature.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,329 Member
    if they are like my male cousins then they do it just cus they know it bugs you. i'm also the same way, too by the way so it's not just a guy thing :laugh:

there are 2 types of people in the world when it comes to being around those with obvious hot button issues:
    the kind that will push that button just to watch that person go and the kind who step on tiptoes around it.

so your choices are either to ignore it, say something back to them that doesnt involve crying, or figure out why it's a sensitive issue for you and fix it
  • katy84o
    katy84o Posts: 744 Member
    This is coming from someone who grew up with the boys. I was the only girl and the youngest. Two of the boys are my brothers, one a cousin that my mom helped raise.

They seriously have no filters. Of course your brother wasn't saying it to be mean (at least I hope not, if he did he's an *kitten*) But they just don't think when talking to their sisters. In their defense I was a hellraiser as a child and I could hold my own with them. Now i'm older a bit more sensitive about things and they just dont' think before they speak. When one of my brother's says something rude, I either call them out on it. Or I say something rude back. Usually an ok *kitten*, works. Then it's a nice punch in the arm, or a nooggy (how do you spell that) or another stupid comment.

But oh well.. it's family and just remember most of the time it's not being said to hurt your feelings. There's just not always a filter when it comes to talking with people we've known our entire lives.
  • mwbulechek
    mwbulechek Posts: 162 Member
    Sometimes its the little sisters that are mean! I have not spoke to my mothers daughter in 9 years for just that reason.
  • RitaSantoss
    RitaSantoss Posts: 986 Member
    Brothers are supposed to be stupid and ruthless. Mine is and I love him to death. Just try and talk to your brother and explain to him that the way he expresses certain opinions about you, are not correct. Because he will always be your brother no matter what and you will ALWAYS butt heads, so better fix things now for the long run. Trust me, you won't want to lose that relationship forever.