Only consuming 500 calories and day and hit a plataue.

Options
13»

Replies

• msfitmom_3
    msfitmom_3 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I don't know anything about you (age, reason for being on MFP, etc) but just your topic title alone screams eating disorder.

I have battled disordered eating habits since I was 15 years old. I used to do exactly what you were doing and then it resulted into me heading straight into bulimia. I am now 28 years old and for the FIRST time in my life, I am obtaining a HEALTHY lifestyle the RIGHT way. No strict dieting, no binging, no starving, etc. I never sought help for my problems because I didn't feel I had a problem. But I did... and it's taken me 13 years to battle it out on my own and finally get better and do things the RIGHT way.

You need to consult a physician. You need help. What you are doing to your body is NOT healthy by any means and is NOT a diet! A diet consists of HEALTHY eating, eating at least 1200 calories and working out. Not eating, starving yourself, is not a diet... and YES, you are going to find yourself stuck because your body is freaking out and going into starvation mode - therefore, it's going to store fat and slow down your metabolism.

If you are seriously seeking our advice on here (which MFP is for serious people, getting seriously HEALTHY & maintaining a healthy lifestyle); then you'll take our advice and get help. Please do not post stuff about not eating and how sick eating over 500 calories makes you feel, in hopes that someone is going to encourage you to stop eating or to give you tricks on how to lose weight an unhealthy way. That is NOT what MFP is all about. We do not encourage or promote anorexia or bulimia or any disordered eating for that matter. Please, please, please go get some help!

I sincerely hope you take our advice. Good luck to you.
  • ExplorinLauren
    ExplorinLauren Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    Starting off, I have to say that I know that eating only 500 calories is very bad for you. It has become a mental things now of where if I eat more than that, I hate myself. I feel like a failure and so bloated and fat.

Well, I have lost a total of 51 pounds over a 8 month period. (Only 17 since I joined this site) Before Christmas, I hit a plataue at 140. I was stuck there about 2 weeks. On Christmas day, I threw my diet out the window. I ate like crazy. I just didn't care. Then the next day I stepped on the scale and noticed I had lost a pound. I went back on my 500 calorie diet and continued to lose weight. About 4 more pounds in a week and a half.

Well, Here I am today, about 2 weeks later and still stuck on the same weight that I was after that week and a half ended. I have hit another plataue.
    Most people would just easily say "Go crazy again. Eat all you want." but the thing is, I can't. Today I consumed about 1200 calories, and I feel horrible. I feel as if I gained 40000 pounds.

I just don't know what to do at this point. I am stuck between going back to my 500 calorie a day diet, and being stuck at that weight again. (And hate myself) or force myself to eat 1000+ calories again tomorrow (and feel fat and hate myself.)
    It is like either way I loose.

Does anybody know why the drastic increase in calories for that one day made me loose 4-5 pounds? I just can't force myself to go crazy again because it is no special occasion, and I fear that Christmas was just a one time thing and if I go crazy, It will just make me gain weight.

51 pounds in 8 months is completely doable eating healthy. I don't understand WHY you would be suffering with 500 calories a day when it isn't even necessary.
    I didn't read past that part.

Either way... You should prob talk to someone.
  • jamieskadra
    Options
    Sorry, but you're in denial if you think only eating 500 calories a day is going to help you in the long run. Besides the fact its really unhealthy, there is no way you can keep up with that kind of eating plan in the long run (without serious health consuquences anyways), which means your chances of gaining all the weight back are REALLY REALLY high, and whats the point of that?

As for the concern with your weight plateau, you've probably messed up your metabolism restricting your calories too much, and your body is doing everything it can to conserve calories, bringing your bmr (resting rate) way down. So you are only working against yourself with that kind of diet. I know this isn't what you want to hear, but your should really consider going up to at least 1200 cal a day and making a point to excercise. The exercise being key to get your metabolism going again.
  • lovejulez03
    lovejulez03 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    To the person that asked, I am 5 foot 6 and currently weigh 135. I want to get down to 120. I started off at 186.
    I don't know how to make it so their little quote thing comes above..

What everyone else said. No weight is perfect for everyone. I'm a larger framed person and I just saw a dietitian and she said my perfect weight would be between 136 and 126 and I personally think this is too low.

You do need to get some professional help. There's nothing wrong with this. With anything, binge eating, overeating, undereating, etc etc...there's a mental road block there that you need to work through. You're still young and your brain hasn't finished developing ( please dont take that the wrong way it's specifically from a scientific standpoint). Many adults go through what you go through and I hope that you will go to a therapist/psychiatrist so you can work through this so you have a healthy, long adult life. I wih you the best :)
  • missmegan831
    missmegan831 Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    I eat 500 calories for breakfast... Please go talk to a nutritionist or someone that can give you some insight on what you are doing to your body/organs... Best of luck xx
  • currierand
    currierand Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Please listen to the advice you are getting to seek help. What is going on with your body has NOTHING to do with a goal weight. Get HEALTHY before you even consider losing another pound.

Good luck to you. I sincerely mean that.

Kelly
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    OP - here's another link you may want to take a look at :

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/521480-1000-calories-or-less-a-day

But please...go see your doctor ASAP.
  • msfitmom_3
    msfitmom_3 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    To the person that asked, I am 5 foot 6 and currently weigh 135. I want to get down to 120. I started off at 186.
    I don't know how to make it so their little quote thing comes above..

This is HEALTHY weight for you. Try working out to tone up your muscles and look leaner, rather than focusing on a number on the scale. I am 5'5 and 134lbs and this is a perfect weight for me; my goal is 128lbs but it's a slow process because my body is starting to maintain since this is a healthy weight. It will take a while to get the last few pounds off. Being 5'5 - healthy BMI weight ranges between 111-150; however, in my opinion, 111-120 is WAY too small for this height. Mid 120's and 130's is perfect.

Please try and do this the healthy way. Starving yourself is only going to keep you from losing anymore weight. You need at LEAST 1200 calories a day... and that's IF you are NOT working out. You'll need more if you're working out.
  • FitnessPalWorks
    FitnessPalWorks Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    Just as everyone else has said, seek professional help.
    We can't help you here with that.... ED's are not what this site encourages.
    Good luck....
  • Lozze
    Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    Honestly with the words you're using (disgusted, fat ect) and now knowing that you are a healthy weight, you have an eating disorder. Go to a doctor ASAP. You should not be full eating the minimum amount of calories recommended for women. As an 18 year old (and I have doubts on that age) you need more.
  • callieally
    Options
    Even though it is a low amount of calories, I still balance everything out. I still eat my fruits, Veggies,Whole Grains and Meats. (Tuna and Chicken) I just eat small amounts. I don't go crazy. Since I eat so clean and small, that is why my calories are so low. It's not like I am only eating lettuce or something. (Which I feel like a lot of you are thinking) I also exercise. Every other day I run two miles and either bike or do the eliptical for 10 minutes. In between gym days, I do toning exercises.

So, I am doing everything that is recommended, just not raising my calories all the way up.

Not arguing with any of you in anyway shape or form, and I appreciate your concern. But I am not totally blind on all of this as a lot of you must think.
  • heart_explodes
    heart_explodes Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Seek professional help, seriously.

This x 1000. It sounds like at the moment you have a bad mental relationship with food and in the long run, it won't help you at all.
    Help yourself by talking to someone.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    500 IS NOT ENOUGH NUTRITION. Even if it is all healthy, it is Not Enough.

SEE A DOCTOR.
  • Softrbreeze
    Softrbreeze Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    That's a neurosis you are describing. Please see a doctor and get some guidance for your eating habits.
  • Heyyleigh
    Heyyleigh Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    O M G- u seriously posted this! Go see your parents! Geezeous.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    See a professional. Best of luck to you.
  • janesmith1
    janesmith1 Posts: 1,511 Member
    Options
    Just in case you didn't understand what every person on this thread is saying to you

"an·o·rex·i·a
    /ˌanəˈreksēə/
    Noun

A lack or loss of appetite for food (as a medical condition).
    An emotional disorder characterized by an obsessive desire to lose weight by refusing to eat."

"Health Risks of Anorexia: An Overview
    The most severe and noticeable anorexia health risks resemble those of starvation. The body reacts to the lack of food by becoming extremely thin, developing brittle hair and nails, dry skin, lowered pulse rate, cold intolerance, and constipation, as well as occasional diarrhea. In addition, mild anemia, reduced muscle mass, loss of menstrual cycle, and swelling of joints often accompanies anorexia.

Beyond experiencing the immediate health risks of anorexia, individuals can suffer long-term health problems, regardless of treatment.

These long-term health risks include:

Heart problems
    Osteoporosis
    Mental health issues
    Death.

Heart Problems
    Anorexia health risks related to the heart can include:

A slowing of the heart rate
    Lower blood pressure
    Irregular heart rhythms
    Heart failure.

Heart failure in people with anorexia is even more likely in those who use drugs to stimulate vomiting, bowel movements, or urination.

Osteoporosis
    Lack of calcium places anorexics at an increased risk for osteoporosis, both during their illness and in later life "

http://anorexia.emedtv.com/anorexia/health-risks-of-anorexia.html

Now, I'm NOT a physician, and I think you should go to one ASAP or check yourself into an ED clinic ASAP. Additionally, I go to OA, I've never had anorexia but it is JMHO that it's the OTHER SIDE of Binge Eating Disorder or Stress Eating Disorder & they are related. I think you might want to check out OA, your physician, read OA literature, read anorexia medical literature.

The amt you lost has been done on this site in the SAME AMT OF TIME with more calories, less damage to their health.

Do you know how AWFUL osteoporosis is? My MIL is anorexic. She's in the hospital now in a care home and she has osteo. She was BENT OVER, now she will never be able to leave her bed! YIKES! She had a severe eating disorder that no one in her family recognized, but I did the first time I met her. She never wanted to eat food, just chocolate candy occasionally. She ate very little real food - - I also think she is an un-dx'd hypoglycemic/pre-diabetic. I can't believe no one said anything to her about her ED!

Well YOU have a serious ED, you need help. Every single person on this thread is telling you that. What are you going to do?
  • thelovelyLIZ
    thelovelyLIZ Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    More than anything, I highly advise you to seek counseling in regards to your relationship with food. The number on the scale doesn't mean and thing if you're sick, mentally or physically.
  • Alex
    Alex Posts: 10,149 MFP Staff
    Options
    Dear Posters,

I wanted to provide an explanation for locking this topic and remind folks of our community guidelines. I also want to thank all of the responders who provided support and appropriate advice to the OP.
    From our Community Guidelines:

3. No Promotion of Unsafe Weight-Loss Techniques or Eating Disorders

a) Posts intended to promote potentially unsafe or controversial weight loss products or procedures, including non-medically prescribed supplements or MLM products will be removed without warning.
    b) Profiles, groups, messages, posts, or wall comments that encourage anorexia, bulimia, or very low calorie diets of any kind will be removed, and may be grounds for account deletion. This includes positive references to ana/mia, purging, or self-starving. Our goal is to provide users with the tools to achieve their weight management goals at a steady, sustainable rate. Use of the site to promote or glamorize dangerously low levels of eating is not permitted.
    c) Photos intended to glamorize extreme thinness will be deleted.
    d)[/b] Those seeking support in their recovery from eating disorders are welcome at MyFitnessPal.

Respectfully,
    Olivia
    MFP Staff
This discussion has been closed.