What's your favorite veggie?

Options

Replies

• MinimalistShoeAddict
    MinimalistShoeAddict Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    What's your favorite vegetable and why? How do you prepare them? I need to eat more veggies and guidance is needed.

Broccoli and raw unless of course V8 Splash counts
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    Mushrooms: fried in butter on toast, in an omelette, as soup, in stews and pasta, stir fries, stuffed .... I probably eat most red onions and bell peppers tho, the peppers being available in so many colours make them more versatile than many veggies.
  • just4nessa
    just4nessa Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    Simple and tasty is steamed green beans with salt, pepper and a little bit of butter or some chopped garlic sauteed in a little bit of olive oil. My all time favorite is steamed artichokes, stuffed with slivers of garlic then topped with a sprinkle of grated Parmesan, bread crumbs, fresh parsley and a drizzle of olive oil, salt and lemon juice. Darn, now I want an artichoke...mmmmm.
  • hadlam83
    hadlam83 Posts: 140
    Options
    Mushrooms and carrot, I finally dice or grate them into most dishes I cook so I dont have to use as much meat and it gets my hubby and son eating more veggies :)
  • valleemic
    valleemic Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I wanted to try a new vegetable this week and YUMMY! It's different... FENNEL! It looks like a big tulip bulb... while/light green in colour.

Slice the fennel into thin pieces (it has layers like an onions)
    Slice carrots

Spray a cookie sheet with a little oil. Place fennel and carrot slices on sheet, salt and pepper to taste. Roast at 375 in for 20-25 minutes or until golden in colour. Top with a little orange peel zest. SOOOO good!

Oh, FENNEL is also called ANISE.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Woq5xV7G_N0
  • __RANDY__
    __RANDY__ Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    Love all of them..

this
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    Cauliflower - Roasted or mashed.

Spaghetti Squash - cook and toss with whatever sauce you like.

Butternut Squash - Roasted or soup.

Bell peppers - raw (alone or w/ dip) or cooked.

Onions - use them in everything.

Sweet potatoes - Fries or just cut in half and roasted.
  • beachpoodles
    beachpoodles Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Mushrooms: fried in butter on toast, in an omelette, as soup, in stews and pasta, stir fries, stuffed .... I probably eat most red onions and bell peppers tho, the peppers being available in so many colours make them more versatile than many veggies.

^^ LOVE mushrooms!
    Cucumbers are a great go to in a salad or diced with salt!
  • mbarryteach
    mbarryteach Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I have found that Baby Spinach with a small serving of whole wheat pasta is delicious! I drizzel 1 tbs of italian dressing on it after its mixed together and..Yummy yummy. Filling too.
  • tehzephyrsong
    tehzephyrsong Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    I really like bell peppers. Especially the mini sweet peppers you can find in the produce section of the grocery store now! They're tasty, and even if I sat there and munched mindlessly on the whole 2-lb bag, that's still less than 300 calories. I just eat them raw.

Also, roasting any vegetable makes it more palatable, imo. Olive oil, s&p, pop under the broiler for ~10 minutes. Try it with anything - asparagus, broccoli, Brussels sprouts, carrots, green beans, peppers, mushrooms.
  • Queen_Adrock
    Queen_Adrock Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I was about to say mushrooms, but that's a fungi and doesn't count. I LOVE mushrooms. But instead I'll say broccoli. Steamed and sprinkled lightly with cheddar cheese! Mmmm!
  • kopmom
    kopmom Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    Roasted Broccoli (best way to eat it !) and roasted asparagus
  • piratemerdi
    piratemerdi Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Acorn squash. Microwave it in a dish with a little bit of water so it doesn't burn for about 10 minutes (after scooping out the inside), and put a little bit of margarine and brown sugar in the middle. It tastes like candy, and is super low-calorie, but filling.
  • gimpygramma
    gimpygramma Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    Roast Parsnip!

YES!
  • Luthien007
    Luthien007 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Love so many so it's a hard question to answer.

Most effective for my weight loss? Cauliflower (steamed) as a substitute for rice.

Mushrooms and anything green next. I feel like I am taking vitamin pills when I eat my greens :)
  • MorganLeighRN
    MorganLeighRN Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Brussels sprouts with olive oil, balsamic vinegar, little bit of brown sugar, salt and pepper, mix together and put in oven on 375 for 15 minutes then broil until nice a brown!!!! My 8 year old loves them this way also! I just wish my husband liked them as much as we do :)

Also, roasted carrots, green beans, sugar snap peas (I could eat an entire bag in one sitting), celery, spinach, mixed greens.....love 'em all!
  • oddyogi
    oddyogi Posts: 1,816 Member
    Options
    I love asparagus because it makes my pee smell funny.
  • sbowl
    sbowl Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Sauteed sliced zucchini and mushrooms OR green peppers, mushrooms, asparagus (or any other veggie) roasted in the oven with some olive oil and seasonings - YUM - YUM
  • RawTriGal
    RawTriGal Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    ALLL of them.... I eat a lot raw, but you cannot go wrong with a light steam and a shake of seasoning... asparagus is my all time fave and love springtime when i get fresh locally.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    I love all veggies, but roasted garlic and mashed cauliflower was life changing. It's like that scene in the Wizard of Oz where Dorothy opens the door and everything is in color.