I dont drink Alcohol

14567810»

Replies

• Fieldsy
    Fieldsy Posts: 1,105 Member
    I used to get drunk every day, now I drink a little once a week. I feel much better emotionally and physically. I don't feel the need to get wasted to have a good time anymore.
  • likeschocolate
    likeschocolate Posts: 368 Member
    I don't drink -- religious reasons, never have.

As one of the posters said previously -- most people are quite respectful if you say you're not drinking for religious reasons.

If one or two of your friends are also not drinking, you can support one another. :smile:
  • BarbWhite09
    BarbWhite09 Posts: 1,128 Member
    I'd suggest surrounding yourself with different types of people...If you feel pressured, then those aren't the type of people you need to be around. Not all of us who drink pressure others to do so...
  • queenpushycat
    queenpushycat Posts: 761 Member
    lol i don't drink unless my boyfriend offers it to me, i get really red and sleepy just one bottle of beer.
  • TaintedVampyre
    TaintedVampyre Posts: 1,428 Member
    I was actually just thinking about this. I don't drink either. First it was a financial issue but later it became a religious reason to why I do not drink anymore. I've had a lot of friends from my hometown ask me why I don't come and visit and I've come to realize that if I did, I'd be put in that awkward situation and pressure of being put in an uncomfortable situation.
    I'm from a small town, and it seems like everybody started drinking just to pass the time. I'm thankful I was pulled out of that situation but at the same time I wish I had friends from my hometown that didn't sound like a bunch of potheads or alcoholics.
  • gradgal01
    gradgal01 Posts: 46 Member
    depending on the crowd, i either say i'm watching calories (which is generally irrelevant to my not drinking), or i'll just get some drink and hold it for the night. i guess it's an insincere way to handle things, but it puts everyone at ease.
  • Lisseth03
    Lisseth03 Posts: 518 Member
    madd props to you!
  • LadyBeryl
    LadyBeryl Posts: 344 Member
    The health benefits of red wine are indisputable but I drink very moderately because of the calories in alcohol.

Unless you are an adolescent, I don't understand the "pressure" some of you non-drinkers report.

If someone offers me ANYTHING I don't consume, I just say "No, Thanks." I don't like the taste of beer so I don't drink it. I don't eat red meat or pork so I refuse a rib dinner.

What's the problem? If you were around cocaine users, would you also feel "pressured" to snort (or whatever they do)?
  • AllyCatXandi
    AllyCatXandi Posts: 329 Member
    I don't like alcohol.

But seeing as I'm a first-year university student (you can consume alcohol at 18 here) living on campus in a country with a huge drinking culture, it is sometimes extremely difficult to avoid. I'll get dragged out maybe once a month, but that's it.

I'm sure my liver will appreciate it a few decades down the line. I know my wallet certainly does now.
  • Fieldsy
    I have real high anxiety plus I also stutter. I would get bombed out of my mind anytime I was at a social event, because its really hard meeting new people. I honestly wouldnt get drunk just to be wasted, I would do it so my brain would calm down. Its really funny how even at 27 yrs old, alcohol can be peer pressure.
  • brian90
    brian90 Posts: 285 Member
    i dont drink. people do seem surprized when i say no, but they accept it. you do things for yourself that you feel are right.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    I primarily don't drink, much, anymore because I don't want to waste my calories on the booze! I'd rather have a bowl of cereal or ice cream instead of 3 beers.
  • Fieldsy
    I primarily don't drink, much, anymore because I don't want to waste my calories on the booze! I'd rather have a bowl of cereal or ice cream instead of 3 beers.

hate to go off topic but that is a cute shirt in your avatar lol
  • nelso329
    nelso329 Posts: 2 Member
    I am so glad I'm not alone, I don't have anything against people who do drink. I just wish that they wouldn't expect me to and get bent out of shape when they find out I don't. The way my friends react sometimes drive me insane, always trying to pressure me into a drink, and when I have to get forceful about it they get mad at me like I'm the one pushing them out of their comfort zone.
  • Weathers58
    Weathers58 Posts: 246 Member
    I dont drink because I'm an alcoholic.

Sooo.

4 years ago I was in a mental hospital and 18 stone, I smoked 40 full strength cigarettes, I am asthmatic and I was ill physical and spiritually

sooo I stopped drinking and

I lost over 4 stone, I run, I get up every morning and remember what I did the night before, I dont smoke, I haven't used my inhalor for over a year. I ran a marathon last year in 3:30.

This year I'm running my first Ultra and now the most important part

I'm happy and the people around me are happier being around me.

Its that simple, booze wasted my life and now I have purpose and I dont miss it.

Anybody struggling post Christmas that wants to give up, try it for a month if you cant try AA.

Friend me for advice if you wish

Weathers58
  • offthedeependay
    offthedeependay Posts: 435 Member
    I haven't drank for over 3 years and don't miss it one bit,,add me if you like