Need something different to do with lentils..not soup!

Options

Replies

• bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    Mejadara! Topped with blackened onions, if you like.

4 tablespoons olive oil
    1 medium onion, chopped
    3 garlic cloves, minced
    2 teaspoons ground cumin
    3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
    2 14-ounce cans vegetable broth
    3/4 cup dried lentils, rinsed, picked over
    3/4 cup long-grain white rice

Heat 2 tablespoons oil in large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add chopped onion and next 4 ingredients; sauté until onion softens, about 4 minutes. Add broth and lentils; bring to boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, covered, 10 minutes. Stir in rice; return to boil. Reduce heat to medium-low; cover and cook until liquid is absorbed and rice and lentils are tender, about 15 minutes longer.
    Meanwhile, heat 2 tablespoons oil in heavy large skillet over medium-high heat. Add sliced onions; sauté until soft and beginning to blacken, about 20 minutes.
    Season pilaf to taste with salt and pepper.

Read More http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Lebanese-Lentil-and-Rice-Pilaf-with-Blackened-Onions-108813#ixzz2HX5295Og
  • JessieTangerine
    JessieTangerine Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    bump to save the recipes.
  • badzoe
    badzoe Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Wonderful ideas!
  • corapie
    corapie Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I just add my lentils to some sauteed onion & lots of steamed cauliflower. Then I throw in hot peppers if I have them or some curry powder. I like the idea of a lentil burger too, with lots of garlic.

*Also, lentils don't need to soak overnight. They'll still cook up pretty quickly.
  • scrook43
    scrook43 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I make this all the time

one cup lentils (no need to soak)
    one cup brown rice (uncooked)
    one can rotel diced tomatoes with chilis
    one or two cans mixed veg.
    2 cans chicken broth
    salt and pepper
    throw it all in a 9 x 13 cake pan, cover with foil. Bake in the oven at 350 for 1.5 hours. I divide this out into one cup servings and take for my lunch every day. This also freezes and warms up well.
  • juliedor
    juliedor Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I love dahl. Anything people make with mince I can substitute lentils for eg Bolognese,tacos, lasagna.
  • StephCoff1969
    Options
    bump
  • ayamagali
    ayamagali Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Oh, so craving lentils now!! I'll have to try some of these :) They make a yummy stuffed peppers! :)
  • babynew
    babynew Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    Tasty ideas here! :flowerforyou:
  • carly_am
    carly_am Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Lentil bolognase! (No measurements I'm afraid, all done by sight/intuition/feel/whatever)

Onion (sautee in pan with bit of oil - red or white)
    Carrot
    Celery
    Butternut squash
    Tin chopped toms
    Veg stock
    Tom purée
    Few herbs
    Red split lentils

Just whack it all in a pan and cook until veg is soft and lentils cooked through. Can top up with extra veg stock if it becomes dry.

:)
  • mspris2u
    mspris2u Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    bump - 2 bags of lentils and NOW some great ideas!
  • tracym22
    tracym22 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Bump - some fantastic ideas on here! Thanks everyone, i usually just use lentils to make soup or add to casseroles and stews. I never thought of making them 'The main event'! :flowerforyou:
  • lauraaltman1
    lauraaltman1 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    You can do a lot with lentils!! My fave is simply cooking them in low sodium chicken broth and add onion,carrots,cumin, pepper celery salt to taste. Cook until most of the broth is gone. Then eat as they are or add to salad,mix with brown rice or even make a wrap. The possibilities are endless.
  • msbunnie68
    msbunnie68 Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    Lentil burger
    Lentil rissoles
    Lentil Salads
    Lentil pot pies
    Lentil & vegetable casserole
    Lentil wraps
    Lentil croquettes
    dhal
    curries
    Lentil and zucchini soup (soooo yum)
    Lentil meatloaf
    Lentil pasta sauce...

Love my lentils.

edit: lentil curry puffs...lentil & vege parcels...lentil dip...lentil spreads....
  • RosscoBoscko
    RosscoBoscko Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    mix with peppers and spring onion or something along those lines and serve with fish, basically replacing rice.
  • KellyS_86
    Options
    Oh wow GREAT idea! I am so trying the meatloaf nom nom nom x
  • saltedcaramel86
    saltedcaramel86 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Burgers, "meat"balls, add to salads, curry, etc.

A fave of mine is lentil bolognese, either with pasta or stuff it into large mushrooms, top with a little cheese and serve with a huge spinach/red onion salad. Yum!
  • avinalaff123
    avinalaff123 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Go Indian with tarka dal
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/tarkadal_90055

Or traditional English side dish pease pudding. Often served with ham or sausages.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/gammon_and_pease_pudding_56485

Dal every time! Indian food is amazing for loosing weight so long as you're sensible with your ingredients, the spices you use can transform any set of ingredients into an extremely satisfying meal. Check out this recipe:- http://www.recipeguy.co.uk/tarka-dahl-manju-malhi-stylie/

Hope this helps :wink:

Phill