Replies

• arodriguez2
    arodriguez2 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Crazy4Healthy
    Crazy4Healthy Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    I have done both NROL4W and Stonglifts and found NR to be very informational as well as transformational. I still go back some of the routines in NR to change things up. Definitely worth reading to get an understanding of things.
  • mrs_dwr
    mrs_dwr Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    You can check to see if NROL4W is at your local library; that way you can read it first and see if it's something you might want to try.
  • FullOfWin
    FullOfWin Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    am currently giving PHAT a go.

What's PHAT?

It is an intermediate lifting routine for people who are beyond the novice stage and want to focus on both Power and Hypertrophy

Op: Yes Starting Strength is a book as well as a lifting routine. The book has VERY detailed instruction on core barbell lifts as well as less detailed instruction on other assistance lifts.
  • huckleberry0070
    huckleberry0070 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I'm in stage 5 of NROLFW and I love it... I don't mind the workouts being a little repetitive because I like knowing what I'm doing. If you want to see results you have to get used to the idea of lifting heavy... use as much weight as you can to finish the number of reps/sets and don't slack off!
  • FullOfWin
    Options
    workouts SHOULD be repetitive. That is how you make and track progress ;)
  • Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    Options
    Stronglifts 5x5 looks v focused on men wanting bulky muscles. How does it work for women, same result? Sorry for pinching your thread to ask my own question, but I am also interested.

do i look bulky?
    I dont think so.
    Before pics in my profile
  • ionaday
    ionaday Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I've read this book and found it very intresting. It's very down to earth and an easy to the point read.
    Due to recent abdominal surgery I'm unable to follow the exercise plan but it looks easy enough to stick to.
    I'd say it's worth a read.

Thanks for your input. I think I will get. Worth a try. ;)

Hope you recover soon from your surgery!

Even without the workout I just found the book informative. And it didn't take me long to read.

And thanks, I'm actually starting back with my trainer tomorrow morning. Only allowed to do light work for the next month or so But can't wait to get back doing something: )

Enjoy your reading.
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Options
    I completed NROL4W a few months ago. I learned a ton about lifting doing it. But even though I fniished it, I'm really not all that happy with the program.

I'm currently doing a mishmash of Starting Strength and Stronglifts, seems much more effective. Also, even though I completed NROL4W, I learned so much reading Starting Strength. It's so much more instructional on form.
  • FullOfWin
    Options
    I completed NROL4W a few months ago. I learned a ton about lifting doing it. But even though I fniished it, I'm really not all that happy with the program.

I'm currently doing a mishmash of Starting Strength and Stronglifts, seems much more effective. Also, even though I completed NROL4W, I learned so much reading Starting Strength. It's so much more instructional on form.

Part of the problem with the program is that it can be thought of as "finished" at some arbitrary time. ;) You change routines when you can no longer make gains with what you are doing provided calorie surplus, proper rest, and proper deloads.
  • AleliH1
    AleliH1 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Lots of women like it. I would recommend Starting Strength

Is this also a book?

Starting Strength is a book. It is the book I've been following. There is also a Starting Strength DVD available, which teaches the form.
    http://www.amazon.com/Starting-Strength-3rd-Mark-Rippetoe/dp/0982522738/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1357833900&sr=1-1&keywords=starting+strength
  • cyberblonde
    cyberblonde Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Stronglifts 5x5 looks v focused on men wanting bulky muscles. How does it work for women, same result? Sorry for pinching your thread to ask my own question, but I am also interested.

do i look bulky?
    I dont think so.
    Before pics in my profile

No you don't thanks, I was just going from what I read on the website. I already feel a little too defined sometimes in my arms and i do not want anymore definition here, however my legs could do with more work and my tummy Might read some more and give it a try.
  • justjenny
    justjenny Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    BUMP for later