Almond Milk

Options

Replies

• Megzfitlog
    Options
    I didn't even know that almonds had nipples. Doh! :laugh:

BWahahaha!

I like almond milk, but prefer flax milk.
  • AlyssaJoJo
    AlyssaJoJo Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    I drink it all. I use unsweetened almond milk for cereal and cooking. I use vanilla almond milk for smoothies. And I still drink normal milk when ever I get the feeling!
  • theCarlton
    theCarlton Posts: 1,344 Member
    Options
    For me, lactose intolerance first, shelf life second. I can drink cow's milk, but have to take OTC meds every time and for me they only work up to about 8-10 oz of milk.
    This.

I've learned to live without milk. I'm not a big cereal person. I don't do milk and cookies. I don't ever desire a glass of milk. I can still digest about 4oz of cow's milk on my own, but that's a risk I'm rarely willing to take. After a traumatic experience with ice cream.........fool me once.
  • newcs
    newcs Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I use the almond breeze unsweetened vanilla as well for cereal, tea and coconut chia pudding (1/4c almond milk, 1/4c coconut milk, 1T chia seeds, 1t honey, 1/2T shredded coconut. Mix. Refrigerate overnight). It does taste and look different but it's an easy way for me to cut calories and still enjoy my milk.
  • JerseyGirl081
    JerseyGirl081 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I LOVE almond milk. My favorite is So Delicious Almond Plus because it has a lil extra protein. It goes great in my smoothies and protein shakes. I'm trying to remove dairy from my diet and almond milk is great.
  • Jill_newimprovedversion
    Options
    Also, What is the difference between sweetened and unsweetened?

I don't add any more sugar to anything if I can do without.
    so I always opt for UNsweetened.
    IF I want a little sweetness,
    I add my own, whether it's white granulated, splenda or stevia and my own imitation vanilla
    if I want the flavoring.

While I doubt I'll ever pour a tall glass and dip my cookies in it, I really like it IN stuff

....It's a great sub for recipes calling for milk- whether it's biscuits or pudding
  • JMPerlin
    JMPerlin Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    My family loves it except for my boy who will only drink 1%. The only problem I have is keeping it in the refrigerator. :smile:
  • chellebublz
    chellebublz Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    Is there a huge difference in taste between the sweetened and unsweetened? I have had the sweetened before and loved it, but now I'm watching sugar intake and thinking about trying the unsweetened but not sure if I will be able to tolerate it and it will just be a waste of money?
  • irjeffb
    irjeffb Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I use it because it doesn't go bad as fast as regular milk, it has more calcium, it doesn't have lactose, it's less calories than skim milk, and it tastes delicious on cereal!
  • Stdavis53
    Stdavis53 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Thanks, everyone! I think I may try it...

Almond milk is made for baby almonds not humans

Regular milk is made for baby cows not humans... lol
  • kittenbobitten
    kittenbobitten Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Thanks, everyone! I think I may try it...

Almond milk is made for baby almonds not humans

^^This cracked me up for real!! Thanks!!
  • imfivebyfive
    Options
    I use it in place of coffee creamer. I use the unsweetened vanilla.
  • purplegoboom
    purplegoboom Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    A nice treat: 10 ice cubes, about 2 cups of silk vanilla almond milk, and a scoop of chocolate protein powder in a blender. Yum yum.
  • ApexLeader
    ApexLeader Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    i make my own almond milk. i've got a grinder machine that makes milk (soy also) and i use like 2-3 cups of water and 3 serving sizes of almonds out of a dry roasted almond bag i get from costco. i can make like 20 gallons of almond milk for around 15 bucks.

i also put a few scoops of chocolate whey protein into my finished product, blend it for a few minutes, put it into the pitcher again and put it in the refrigerator. when it is nice and cold it is some of the best chocolate milk i've ever had (and it has 20 grams of protein per half cup and only like 5 net carbs).
  • california_peach
    california_peach Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    I use unsweetened almond milk in the summer when I make iced coffee. Its delicious. I also like soy milk because it is very high in potassium.
  • lolabluola
    lolabluola Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I loooovvvveee unsweated Vanilla Almond milk! - I don't use regular milk
  • VryIrishGirl76
    VryIrishGirl76 Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    Just switched and I love it!
  • BlairCottier
    BlairCottier Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I use unsweetened vanilla almond milk because it is delicious, lower calorie (especially sugars from lactose) , and has a long shelf life.
    Add vanilla protein powder to bring up the protein content, and you will have a better macro balance than dairy milk.

This is exactly what I do!! It is so delicious and gives you so much energy too. I drink coffee every day, but it is nothing compared to my protein and almond milk :)
  • patty1063
    patty1063 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    best stuff, low carbs
  • rugbygirlca
    Options
    I used to have an awesome chart which compared the types of milk, but I can't find it at the moment. The following is a link to a news article that has a similar chart which compares the calories, fat, protein and calcium in various types of 'milk'. The chart appears to using sweetened almond milk and soy milk for calorie calculation, so you can reduce accordingly if using unsweetend varieties of either.

http://www.myhealthnewsdaily.com/1451-milk-cow-goat-rice-almond-soy-nutrition-comparison.html

Which type is best depends on your nutritional requirements and personal preference.

Cows milk is the highest in calcium. Almond milk is, in fact, quite a bit lower.
    Cows and goats milk are the highest in protein. Almond milk has virtually none.
    Almond milk is very low in sugar and calories (unsweetend).

So...for me, I mix it up between skim milk and almond milk. I like the way almond milk tastes in my protein shakes and over cooked oatmeal. I drink glasses of skim milk, put it on cold cereal (or the rare occasion I eat cereal) and have it in my coffee.

Edited for typo