_No Dinner Diet_

Options

Replies

• IronPlayground
    IronPlayground Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options
    It really doesn't matter when you get your calories in. Develop an eating pattern that fits your lifestyle. This will be more sustainable over the long term.
  • evdenapoli
    evdenapoli Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Diet is a four letter word. Any regime that elimintaes food is not good and has short term results. What do you think will happen when you are back from the honeymoon and you start eating supper?
    If you don't learn to create healthy food you can enjoy, you will never truly get to a weight you will be happy with resulting in a YO YO battle with your body.
    Use MFP to the fullest as well as all these people and you will see great results.
    Good luck!
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    I knew people would eat me alive when I said "diet". Let me just say I don't believe in diets b/c I know they never work. I just titled this topic the no dinner diet because it's just something I saw on a blog post and I don't really see it as a diet but more of cutting back. I guess I should have titled it just "NO DINNER" I'm eating right and working out and I know that's the best way to lose weight b/c I lost 20 pounds last year by eating good foods, drinking lots of water, and working out.

Well, you described a plan that would be difficult for your life and that required you to severely restrict your diet.

Some pretty successful people came and offered different advice and tried to correct some misinformation. However, you don't seem to want to listen.

Good luck with your weight loss! I sincerely hope you succeed.
  • Pepper2185
    Pepper2185 Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    This doesn't seem sustainable to me. Sounds like you're looking for a quick fix.

Slow and steady, baby! Works every time.
  • lasmit4477
    lasmit4477 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I'm not avoiding them yet, it was just a thought. I've always heard don't eat anything after 7pm because your body stores it and some of it turns to fat. But technically I guess it really depends on what your eating. I just thought that if I eat most of my calories throughout the day and only drink a protein shake after my work out I would be better off.

Not true!
    Meal timing is of no importance. You could eat all of your daily calories at one time if you wanted to. As long as you are in a calorie deficit, you will lose weight, no matter if you ate dinner at 4 pm or 10 pm. All in all, its personal preference!
  • NewMnky1
    NewMnky1 Posts: 264
    Options
    I would never give up a meal. Actually when I started losing weight I started eating every three hours instead of only three meals a day.
    Also, try Skinnytaste.com they have so many great recipes for food that should be fried but aren't eg. french fries, fried chicken etc.
  • lasmit4477
    lasmit4477 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    It really doesn't matter when you get your calories in. Develop an eating pattern that fits your lifestyle. This will be more sustainable over the long term.

This is why we are friends, Iron! :flowerforyou:
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I knew people would eat me alive when I said "diet". Let me just say I don't believe in diets b/c I know they never work. I just titled this topic the no dinner diet because it's just something I saw on a blog post and I don't really see it as a diet but more of cutting back. I guess I should have titled it just "NO DINNER" I'm eating right and working out and I know that's the best way to lose weight b/c I lost 20 pounds last year by eating good foods, drinking lots of water, and working out.

Yeah a lot of people on MFP get all bent out of shape by the word "diet" I like it. I've been on a diet all my life. Don't get hung up on semantics, get hung up on sustainability, Diet, lifestyle change, journey, ...whatever you call it, just make sure it works for you.
  • IronPlayground
    IronPlayground Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options

This is why we are friends, Iron! :flowerforyou:

:drinker: :drinker: :drinker:
  • ericmooney69
    Options
    So obviously your fiancee loves you or you wouldn't be engaged. So you are "set" as far as that is concerned and that is something to be thankful for. Unless you are serious about embarking on a life long plan to improve your health, don't be caught up in how you are going to look in your engagement photos. You are going to stress yourself out as well as your fiancee. It didn't happen in a few weeks months and you can't properly correct it in a short period of time either. My two cents... and congrats!
  • Mcgrawhaha
    Mcgrawhaha Posts: 1,596 Member
    Options
    I would not try skipping a meal, ever. It will slow your metabolism, especially if you work out at night. Your body needs nutrients consistently. Try eating a little lighter in the evenings than the rest of the day. Also, try getting the majority of your daily protein right after you work out. That will help you build muscle and as you know, muscle burns more calories than fat. Good luck and congrats on the wedding!!
    Omg, really? How come my metabolism will slow down if I skip a meal? And by "skip a meal", how many meals should I be having?

i dont eat before 10am... and my weight loss has not stalled one bit. i continue to lose an average of 2 pounds per week. i dont skip breakfast as part of my weight loss plan, i just have never ate food in the morning, i have absolutely no desire for food before 10am... coffee only... anyhoo... i still get all my calories in through the day, so, im not sure why you say skipping a meal would cause weight loss to stall...
  • mfoy94
    mfoy94 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Did you get that from a pro-ana blog or what? "Yeah lets all skip dinner forever thatll make us thin!"
  • Mcgrawhaha
    Mcgrawhaha Posts: 1,596 Member
    Options

Yeah a lot of people on MFP get all bent out of shape by the word "diet" I like it. I've been on a diet all my life. Don't get hung up on semantics, get hung up on sustainability, Diet, lifestyle change, journey, ...whatever you call it, just make sure it works for you.

well, i do use the word DIET, to describe what im doing. if you guys are not DIETING, great, but i am! i will not be eating at a defecit for the rest of my life, so, this is not a permanent plan for me... maybe when im eating at maintenance, i will refer to it as something else... for as for right now... ITS MINE, AND ITS A DIET!
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Can't make temporary changes and expect permanent results. Are you going to skip dinner for the rest of your life? Never enjoy bacon or fried chicken again? BORING! And really not sustainable. :tongue:

I eat bacon and fried chicken, as well as burgers, pizza, desserts, lattes, alcohol, etc - just not every day. But they fit into my lifestyle and I can do this for the rest of my life, God willing. I also eat after 7pm, sometimes even after 9pm you can find me with a blob of peanut butter and some squares of dark chocolate, happily dipping away. Yet I am near to my goal weight, and am still losing fat and inches, and having to shop for smaller jeans yet AGAIN!

Eat sensibly, a balanced diet of healthy foods, hitting your goals for protein, carbs, and fats. Need help setting those goals? Brilliant topic right here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12
    I follow the advice in that topic, and it has worked beautifully for me. I eat 1800-2000 calories a day, exercise 5 or 6 days a week for less than an hour most days (alternate strength with dumbbells and running), and like I said, I have lost the weight, have some nice muscle showing through, and my body fat percentage is going down.

Someone else said it - don't make this harder than it is. Truth! Read that thread, find your TDEE and your BMR, and eat in between those numbers. Exercise, move around. Your body will thank you for it by shedding fat. :flowerforyou:
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Did you get that from a pro-ana blog or what? "Yeah lets all skip dinner forever thatll make us thin!"

There is no need to be mean. One can live quite healthily on 1 or 2 meals per day. Eating all your calories earlier in the day is fine if it's something that can be maintained long term and you still get the proper amount of calories/nutrients.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    I have a lot of thoughts on your post, but it would be TL;DR and pretty much exactly what I wrote in a thread the other day, so check it out:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/844040-raspberry-ketones-for-the-rest-of-us
  • FitBeto
    FitBeto Posts: 2,121 Member
    Options
    Do you even lift?
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options

I am not "eating you alive" but could you subsist on ONLY fruits and vegetables and water, no eating after 6 pm EVERY day, for the rest of your life? That's what people are pointing out.

Read up on intermittent fasting, I've heard it works well for some people, I don't know much about it myself. Cut out meat if you don't like it/don't want to eat it. But don't do it as a quick fix or a fad or a "diet." Really think about what you personally can do for the majority of the rest of your life.

Good luck, whatever you do!
  • kristen6022
    kristen6022 Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    I'm not entirely sure why someone would even consider following a diet plan that eliminates a meal.

I'm not sure why you would even consider following a "diet" at all.

You have to do something that is sustainable for a long period of time. I'm in maintenance and trust me the other side sucks too. Learn good habits that you can take with you for a lifetime - not eating dinner isn't one of them. I lost 43 pounds by eating every 2-3 hours. Changing what I ate and how much I ate and moving more. That's it. That's the secret.
  • cboutin89
    cboutin89 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Hey there! Congrats on your engagement! I understand you want to look great on your special day, but you do not need to go through extreme measures to do so. The time people eat dinner is still ambiguous. From personable experience I would say 3 hours before bedtime( If you like you can even workout after you eat regardless of the time studies show if you workout late that can be beneficial to higher weight loss) I hate the word DIET. what does that mean? lol. You can lose tons of weight without depriving yourself. My suggestion would be to follow through with low carbs/fats and high proteins. I recall you said you were going to give up meat entirely. You don't have to really. As long as you prepare them in a healthy way( baking, cooked in pan. grilled) and eat them in moderation you should be fine. Combining this with a high intensity workout/program will help you shed of the pounds quickly.