5.2 Diet?

Replies

• BeckiCharlotte13x
    BeckiCharlotte13x Posts: 259 Member
    I've seen the Eat, Fast and Live longer too :) kinda what inspired me to have a look at it... I do appreciate all the comments, even though I don't 100% agree with all of them.

I, personally, as an adult, who has had problems with weight before, never been much overweight, maybe only by a stone, or two at the max (now). I know what works for me and how I, can maintain a weight/diet. I understand that for a lot of you out there, eating healthy 5 days a week works wonders and it does for me too, BUT, I hit a point, when doing that that I feel I need to treat myself every now and again and have something naughty, when I do this, something in my brain clicks, and it all goes tits up from there. Bad willpower? probably. Think what you will but I know that is how I work. If that doesn't happen, last year, I hit a massive plateau too, I got advise from a personal trainer and I couldn't get out of it. I decided to give up for a week or so and then start up again to kick start it, didn't work and I didn't get back into it.

I did also look at the Alternate Day Diet, but I don't think I could sustain 500 or less 3 days a week. (I wouldn't put my family through it, i'd be a *****) I do have a hell of a lot of respect for the fact that you have done this though! Would also love to be friends on here.

Also, no I don't see myself eating 600 calories 2 days a week for the rest of my life, because I feel at 11 stone, that would be unhealthy. Once i've lost the weight I want, I would eat/exercise to maintain, so I don't feel that is a valid comment in this instance. Although agree that is why diets fail... And thats exactly how i've failed previously.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    I do the Alternate Day Diet or JUDDD. It's basically 500 calories or less every other day and "normal" calories the alternating days.

So basically it's a somewhat extreme form of calorie cycling. I guess I don't see the harm so long as your weekly calorie deficit isn't too huge, especially now that you're in a normal weight range.

I'm curious what happens after you've reached your body weight or body composition target? Do you bump up the cal count for both the high day and the low day?
  • taso42
    OP since you seem to have this all sorted out and your mind made up on it, why are you asking about it?
  • BeckiCharlotte13x
    My main reason for feeling like this COULD (not saying it will) work for me is that, I need that focus and that determination - I wanna show will power and feel proud of myself for doing so, but I also want some give and compromise. IF it works, which apparently it does, I don't see why it is a problem.

Assuming it doesn't cause harm to my health and generally feel good, I'm all ears.
  • Personally I wouldn't do it, but its up to you.
    It doesnt sound very healthy and it sounds very hard but if its what you want.
    Good luck
  • NoMoreFlubbering
    NoMoreFlubbering Posts: 95 Member
    You know, if this does work for people, I wouldn't be surprised. Doesn't it kind of go along with the whole paleo idea of how we eat/ate? I assume that if I had to forage for my own food, hunt, fish, trap, grow and pick, I wouldn't be eating the exact same calories each day. Every day would be different, and if I couldn't catch a rabbit that day, I would go hungry until tomorrow.
  • BeckiCharlotte13x
    OP since you seem to have this all sorted out and your mind made up on it, why are you asking about it?

Why not? Its a fitness website, it's what is for. I hadn't made my mind up until reading a bit more after posting this and some of the responses. Not gonna suddenly end this post just because I think I am going to do it. I still wanna hear from people who have done it/similar.

Or maybe I'm waiting for someone to say something that I makes me think no it's not for me.
  • bacitracin
    bacitracin Posts: 921 Member
    Another way to intermittent fast is only eat during certain hours. I start at ten and quit at six.

Isn't that pretty much the definition of IF? I did it and it helped break a stall I was in for two months. I would either eat from 7am to 3pm, or 8am to noon. It helped immensely, and since I was eating a larger meal for "lunch", I wasn't hungry for dinner, and it helped me go to sleep easier.
  • Going to check in on this later.
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    It might work for some people, just as intermittent fasting seems to work really well for some people. But if you're eating 600 calories for 2 days and say, 2600 of whatever you want on 5 days, you might still eat too many calories over your TDEE, thus no calorie deficit and no weight loss...?

Personally, I couldn't do it--it would totally mess up my half marathon training as I would not be able to put in a run on only 600 calories a day. But, that's just me.
  • taso42
    I think you're missing the simple fundamentals of weight loss - namely that a calorie deficit will lead to weight loss.
    And the simple fundamentals of diet - a sustainable diet is sustainable.

There is no magic involved. If you do this 5.2 thing and come out with a calorie deficit you will lose weight. Simple as that.

If you think that 2 days of near-starvation will somehow psychologically help you stay on track, well that's where I'm quite skeptical.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    It's an easier form of alternate day fasting. The health benefits are not all around weight loss by the way.
    Having two days where you eat less I find easier than maintaining a bigger deficit for seven days a week.
    There's no excluded foods but you do tend to gravitate toward high bulk/low calorie foods such as salads, veggies, lean protein.

I've lost 15lbs since August though I work on net calories rather than purely calories consumed. My wife has lost 26lbs working on calories consumed only.
  • BeckiCharlotte13x
    600 calories - near starvation... really?!
    first world problems eh? By planning food/meals, I think I could eat 600 calories a day, and feel okay about it. Yes I'm gonna be hungry, but as long as its manageable and sustainable...

I understand weight loss, I would eat normally on the other days, normally for me, which is usually about 1400-1500, and thats extremely comfortably.
  • BeckiCharlotte13x
    It's an easier form of alternate day fasting. The health benefits are not all around weight loss by the way.
    Having two days where you eat less I find easier than maintaining a bigger deficit for seven days a week.
    There's no excluded foods but you do tend to gravitate toward high bulk/low calorie foods such as salads, veggies, lean protein.

I've lost 15lbs since August though I work on net calories rather than purely calories consumed. My wife has lost 26lbs working on calories consumed only.

YOU GET IT! :) thank you! and congratulations on the weight loss!
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Eh.. I don't see the need for it. Fill your plate with veggies adn lean meat and healthy food and you'll lose it without strarving. I was eating only 600 or so calories a day and let me tell you.. it is not healthy and you do not feel good. I do not reccommend it to anyone.
  • BeckiCharlotte13x
    Confuzzled4eva: I've explained quite a few times why I feel it would work for me...

You know what guys, cheers for the comments and the opinions.

I really really do appreciate it, BUT, I'm fighting a loosing battle. I know my body and what I need in a diet plan for it to be sustainable. Lets face it too, we're all gonna fight til the end for what we believe is right, and thats a good thing, but we're only ever gonna agree to disagree. I didn't start this to be told I don't understand dieting or told that I won't be able to sustain it.

I'll check back in in a few months and let those who are interested know my progress.
  • taso42
    600 calories - near starvation... really?!
    first world problems eh? By planning food/meals, I think I could eat 600 calories a day, and feel okay about it. Yes I'm gonna be hungry, but as long as its manageable and sustainable...

I understand weight loss, I would eat normally on the other days, normally for me, which is usually about 1400-1500, and thats extremely comfortably.

So, by the numbers...
    1450*5 + 600*2 = 8450

Your TDEE let's say is 2000.
    2000 * 7 = 14000

14000 - 8450 = 5550

5550/week calorie deficit. Not bad all in all. A little steep IMO, especially considering your TDEE is likely higher than 2000.
  • taso42
    I'll check back in in a few months and let those who are interested know my progress.

Please do.
  • Keiras_Mom
    Keiras_Mom Posts: 844 Member
    I do the Alternate Day Diet or JUDDD. It's basically 500 calories or less every other day and "normal" calories the alternating days.

So basically it's a somewhat extreme form of calorie cycling. I guess I don't see the harm so long as your weekly calorie deficit isn't too huge, especially now that you're in a normal weight range.

I'm curious what happens after you've reached your body weight or body composition target? Do you bump up the cal count for both the high day and the low day?

I'm actually entering maintenance now, and with my height and weight, my new calories will be 1800 on my higher days and 800 on my lower days. I've incorporated exercise and may need to increase further based on that. With exercise, the calculator gives me around 2050 on my high days and around 1000 on my lower days. Now that can be modified too. If I want to have crazy high days, I can have lower low days to compensate, if that makes sense.

I'm technically about 7 pounds from goal, but with the exercise, I know I'll have to play around with my calorie ranges until I find what works perfectly for me, and I know my body will be reshaping itself, not only because of the exercise, but also because I've lost fairly quickly. I really love this program because I never feel deprived. Every other plan I tried just felt endlessly restrictive. Now I only have to restrict for one day at a time. If I want a glass or three of wine, I have it, but only on my higher calorie days. Same with all the "naughty" foods. I make some healthy choices too, don't get me wrong, but I can have that burger and fries when I want them.
  • BeckiCharlotte13x
    I get that. If I have something naughty on a proper 'normal' diet, that sets me back loads, thats just my mentality. I know some people aren't like that, but I definitely am!