just starting out but failing

Options
I know my diary says otherwise but I don't log all the junk I eat because I get lazy and don't feel like looking up EVERY brand.
It's my first week and so far I've been pretty lame... I just want to be fit and pretty finally..do it for all the boys who made fun of my looks and called me fat... but also like myself. so why do I keep giving up and eating junk? :( any tips to break this cycle?

in case anyone asks:

5'3
female
160 lbs
20 yrs old

Replies

• LadyIntrepid
    LadyIntrepid Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    If you have a smart phone, get the MFP app. It has a bar code scanner that makes logging super easy.
  • Mlkmaid
    Mlkmaid Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Do it for yourself, not boys. :)
  • baseballbobbi
    baseballbobbi Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    What she said :-)
  • viccigb
    viccigb Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'3" too, but 37 yr old. For me, it helps when I have a food plan. I know what I'm going to eat at each meal. It helps keep me on track. I make a menu for the week on Sunday, grocery shop and then stick to it as much as possible. The first week is the hardest! Don't be too hard on yourself. Just do better the next day. It will get easier. Good luck!
  • elenathegreat
    elenathegreat Posts: 3,988 Member
    Options
    There are no easy tricks or shortcuts here...only you can make it work for you. You've admitted that you've been kinda lazy starting out---change it up! Log your food! Get to work if you want results!
  • cechapman10
    cechapman10 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Commit to logging. Even before I started exercising, the logging gave me the gut check I needed to get going.
  • Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    Options
    you need to want it.
  • Corkline
    Corkline Posts: 107
    Options
    You keep eating junk because it's there. As painfully expensive as it is...grab a trash bag. Everything that's not reasonably healthy goes in the bag. Anything that you're keeping for a treat gets divided up into snack sized portions. Look up what you're keeping, write the calories on the bag. Ask yourself, when you pick it up, if it's worth the work out. My rule of thumb is that 100 calories is a mile run...are FOUR TWIZZLERS worth a mile and a half...fifteen minutes from my day? Usually not.

Plus, losing weight for anyone other than you is hard. Don't lose it for the boys. Lose it for you.
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options
    Every brand?
  • twinketta
    twinketta Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    If you really want to get to where you want to be stop being lazy...MFP makes it so easy...you can plan your day in the morning, for the day ahead or even the night before..it all seems difficult at the start but it really is simple if you just plan and log x
  • megleo818
    megleo818 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    You've gotta do it one mouthful at a time. Meaning that you need to CHOOSE what you put into your mouth. It's really tough in the beginning, so try to just make good choices for a day. Or half a day. Or an hour. Then up the ante once you've achieved that. Choose it for you. Choose good stuff and you'll be amazed at how motivated you are to log what you eat -- and how much easier it gets over time. YOU CAN DO THIS!
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    It's really hard to change bad habits. It's like you're programmed to reach for certain things at certain times, like being stuck in a rut.

You really need to shake things up if you want to change. Get the trigger foods out of your house for now. Rearrange your furniture. Get out of bed on the other side. Etc. Find new ways to do new things so that you don't slip right back into that deep, comfortable groove.

(P.S.: I'm talking to myself as well as to you.)
  • EatClean_WashUrNuts
    EatClean_WashUrNuts Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    You only fail if you choose to
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    Once you truly decide to do this for yourself, you'll do a much better job.
  • asmithstl
    Options
    Are you exercising? In my experience, when I work out, I don't want to eat crap. Why put in all that effort just to mess it up with food.
  • Fitstephy
    Options
    You keep eating junk because it's there. As painfully expensive as it is...grab a trash bag. Everything that's not reasonably healthy goes in the bag.

would if I could believe me. I live with my parents and basically their house their rules..haha
  • DontStopB_Leakin
    DontStopB_Leakin Posts: 3,863 Member
    Options
    Willpower.

Get some.
  • Rayman79
    Rayman79 Posts: 2,009 Member
    Options
    H

T

F

U

No one can motivate you if you don't want it for the right reasons. I hope this works for you, I truly do - but YOU are the only one who can create change in your own life.
  • ToBeCountry
    ToBeCountry Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    If you have a smart phone, get the MFP app. It has a bar code scanner that makes logging super easy.

Could not agree more!
    I did not have a smart phone last year and I too, got lazy and entering foods (unless a prior entry).
    I just started MFP again 3 days ago and LOVE the barcode scanner.
    Not all I eat has one though. :happy:

If I have time to check all my "other" sites, I have time to enter my food.

Good luck.
  • Sh1tsRainbows
    Sh1tsRainbows Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    hmm get a job and buy your own food...you are an adult..theyre not force feeding you :flowerforyou: