Which is more important: macros or calories?

Options
I'm trying to eat exactly at my calorie goal but I find that the closer I get to the calories my macros start going over, say carbs, by as much as 20g and then I totally freak out and eat too little the next day cause seeing the macros in red freaks me out.
Is it more important to stay below your macros or eat at your calorie goal (especially if your calorie goal is kinda low for now)

Replies

• mrdjmo
    mrdjmo Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Calories are the most important just match them for maintenance or consume slightly less for weight loss and your set.
  • shlevon
    shlevon Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    In order of importance...

1) Achieving calorie goal (this will dictate weight gained or lost)
    2) Maintaining sufficiently high protein intake (this will do most of what's possible on the dietary side to insure that "weight loss" is actually "fat loss" and not "muscle and fat loss")
    3) Eating a balance of carbs/fat that leaves you satiated (feeling full, not wanting). This can be fairly individual, and spans everything from low carb to low fat.

Assuming those 3 are in place, just make sure you're lifting weights (goes with #2 above to make your weight loss fat loss, avoiding muscle loss) and doing as much cardio as you need/want for your general health and perhaps for a bit extra calories burned.

So, to answer your question, if you're already exercising and eating enough protein, it's really about your total calorie intake, so don't sweat the small stuff (i.e. going over in fat or carbs - it's the total calories dictating the direction you're moving).
  • honkytonks85
    honkytonks85 Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    Weight loss - calories
    Body composition and general well being - macros

Ideally you aim for both
  • MinimalistShoeAddict
    MinimalistShoeAddict Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to eat exactly at my calorie goal but I find that the closer I get to the calories my macros start going over, say carbs, by as much as 20g and then I totally freak out and eat too little the next day cause seeing the macros in red freaks me out.
    Is it more important to stay below your macros or eat at your calorie goal (especially if your calorie goal is kinda low for now)

Focus on calories first. However getting enough protein is very important is you hope to preserve as much muscle mass as possible while losing weight
  • shlevon
    Options

2) Maintaining sufficiently high protein intake (this will do most of what's possible on the dietary side to insure that "weight loss" is actually "fat loss" and not "muscle and fat loss")
    3) Eating a balance of carbs/fat that leaves you satiated (feeling full, not wanting). This can be fairly individual, and spans everything from low carb to low fat.

Assuming those 3 are in place, just make sure you're lifting weights (goes with #2 above to make your weight loss fat loss, avoiding muscle loss) and doing as much cardio as you need/want for your general health and perhaps for a bit extra calories burned.

So, to answer your question, if you're already exercising and eating enough protein, it's really about your total calorie intake, so don't sweat the small stuff (i.e. going over in fat or carbs - it's the total calories dictating the direction you're moving).

Loss of muscle mass is usually the result of not providing a resistance training program and adequate calories. Eating to low in calories would result in loss. Also it's not like someone is going to eat 100% carbs or 100% protein or 100% fats.

This is true, but that's why I put calories at #1 and mentioned the importance of resistance training in my post. The idea with protein is simply that you want "enough," as, calories aside, it can have an impact on the composition of your weight loss (i.e. losing fat vs. fat + muscle). How much is enough? This is a subject of debate, but the best numbers I'm aware of for somebody engaged in resistance training from the research is ~1.7 grams per kg of bodyweight. The easiest rule of thumb is 1 gram of protein per pound of LEAN body weight (i.e. non-fat mass).

For a person who weighs 150 lbs with 100 lbs of lean mass, that would be 100 grams of protein per day, as a simple example.
  • shlevon
    Options

Loss of muscle mass is usually the result of not providing a resistance training program and adequate calories. Eating to low in calories would result in loss. Also it's not like someone is going to eat 100% carbs or 100% protein or 100% fats.

This is true, but that's why I put calories at #1 and mentioned the importance of resistance training in my post. The idea with protein is simply that you want "enough," as, calories aside, it can have an impact on the composition of your weight loss (i.e. losing fat vs. fat + muscle). How much is enough? This is a subject of debate, but the best numbers I'm aware of for somebody engaged in resistance training from the research is ~1.7 grams per kg of bodyweight. The easiest rule of thumb is 1 gram of protein per pound of LEAN body weight (i.e. non-fat mass).

For a person who weighs 150 lbs with 100 lbs of lean mass, that would be 100 grams of protein per day, as a simple example.

Yes i understand where you're coming from. I know a few vegans who lift and look absolutely great, they're lucky if they get in 60g of protein. I seen studies that support .48g per LBM that's roughly half of LBM. If someone has the LBM of 140lbs that is 70g of protein.

I have been saying "protein is over rated for a while" I am glad to see a vegan bodybuilder saying the same thing i have been saying. When he's asked where he gets his protein this is his reply

" protein although important is way overrated, especially by newcomers. I do say to them, also, that the energy that makes the muscle contract and push the weight comes mainly from carbs or fats not protein."

The article : http://www.veganbodybuilding.com/?page=bio_avi

pics
    profile_avi_3.jpg

For every vegan bodybuilder who suggests that protein intake is relatively unimportant, you can probably find literally 100 times that number of non-vegan bodybuilders who would suggest the opposite. Everyone is speaking from their experience, of course, but this is what makes anecdotal evidence difficult to analyze - we have no real way of differentiating cause from effect, or making recommendations based solely on what people observed to seemingly work in themselves. Too many variables for which we have no control.

The recommendations I make are usually in line with my understanding of the research, as research does not have this shortcoming (or, stated more accurately, has less shortcomings than relying on anecdotal evidence - nothing is perfect). I hope it also goes without saying that these are just my opinions, and I certainly respect if you or others have different ones than me.
  • lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options
    Calories, calories, and calories. Having an extra 20g of carbs will not make you gain weight. In fact, having an extra 50 - 70g of carbs does not make you gain weight, as my food diary proves.

As for the argument about protein, I do try and make that my second important thing on the list, simply because high protein meals fill me up.
  • Chadomaniac
    Chadomaniac Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options

he may be vegan , but dudes well jacked on thousands of calories and probably 20+ years of training ... eat ur protein ppl ffs

Yes i understand where you're coming from. I know a few vegans who lift and look absolutely great, they're lucky if they get in 60g of protein. I seen studies that support .48g per LBM that's roughly half of LBM. If someone has the LBM of 140lbs that is 70g of protein.

I have been saying "protein is over rated for a while" I am glad to see a vegan bodybuilder saying the same thing i have been saying. When he's asked where he gets his protein this is his reply

" protein although important is way overrated, especially by newcomers. I do say to them, also, that the energy that makes the muscle contract and push the weight comes mainly from carbs or fats not protein."

The article : http://www.veganbodybuilding.com/?page=bio_avi

pics
    profile_avi_3.jpg

For every vegan bodybuilder who suggests that protein intake is relatively unimportant, you can probably find literally 100 times that number of non-vegan bodybuilders who would suggest the opposite. Everyone is speaking from their experience, of course, but this is what makes anecdotal evidence difficult to analyze - we have no real way of differentiating cause from effect, or making recommendations based solely on what people observed to seemingly work in themselves. Too many variables for which we have no control.

The recommendations I make are usually in line with my understanding of the research, as research does not have this shortcoming (or, stated more accurately, has less shortcomings than relying on anecdotal evidence - nothing is perfect). I hope it also goes without saying that these are just my opinions, and I certainly respect if you or others have different ones than me.
  • Chadomaniac
    Options
    wtf did i just do
  • Bobby__Clerici
    Bobby__Clerici Posts: 741 Member
    Options

^^^^^^^^
    THIS
    If mere weight loss is your goal, macro's are not important.
    You will lose weight.
    For optimal health and peak fitness, macro's are important. It really depends on one's goals.
  • cherriegh
    cherriegh Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Can i ask this question; say you eat 1000cals and meet the 1 pound of lbm of protein or above and do heavy strength training you will not lose muscle mass but mostly fat percentage? Assuming you have energy to still do resistance training
  • Bobby__Clerici
    Options
    Weight loss - calories
    Body composition and general well being - macros
    Ideally you aim for both
    Well said.
    I recall never giving macro's a thought when I first began this journey. Once I reached my weight goals and wanted to lose fat, macro's became a focus. And while my weight maintained, I lost 3 inches from my belly.
    It was not magic or fast but very effective.
    Again, it depends on our goals and how much we want out of this effort.
  • Bobby__Clerici
    Options
    Can i ask this question; say you eat 1000cals and meet the 1 pound of lbm of protein or above and do heavy strength training you will not lose muscle mass but mostly fat percentage? Assuming you have energy to still do resistance training
    Eating that low will mess up long-term progress.
    Forget it.
    It's a prescription for failure.
  • Chadomaniac
    Options

thats not how it works , u wont have near enough energy via calories to maintain your bodies lean muscle mass ... your resting metabolic rate alone uses more than 1000 calories. to answer the question u will lose both FAT AND MUSCLE
  • cherriegh
    cherriegh Posts: 196 Member
    Options

thats not how it works , u wont have near enough energy via calories to maintain your bodies lean muscle mass ... your resting metabolic rate alone uses more than 1000 calories. to answer the question u will lose both FAT AND MUSCLE

I understand the energy part but i asked because i recently read about Lyle Mcdonald body recomposition plan and saw before and after pictures and people losing body fat and testimonies, I dont think its a lifestyle but targeted to lose the stubborn fat if in a stall

its basically based on a 1000cal or lrss and adding fish oil supplement and caffeine and heavy lifting, lots of people who ahve tried it have lost the body fat and retained muscle and looked more "ripped" then before.......i wanted t find out if it is least possible
  • Bobby__Clerici
    Options

I understand the energy part but i asked because i recently read about Lyle Mcdonald body recomposition plan and saw before and after pictures and people losing body fat and testimonies, I dont think its a lifestyle but targeted to lose the stubborn fat if in a stall

its basically based on a 1000cal or lrss and adding fish oil supplement and caffeine and heavy lifting, lots of people who ahve tried it have lost the body fat and retained muscle and looked more "ripped" then before.......i wanted t find out if it is least possible
    ABSURD
    Don't take the advice of bodybuilders cutting for some silly show or girly photo shoot.
  • Chadomaniac
    Options
    as soon as they eat as little as 200 calories more they will gain weight ... its not worth it trust me iv done all the fads nd sht out there . stick to a healthy calorie intake with a balanced diet . u will be healthy and your results wont just vanish after a slice of pizza if u know what i mean
  • kimmianne89
    kimmianne89 Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    Calories for weightloss, Macros for fat loss and general well being.

Aim for both. If you find it difficult, at first aim to be at your goal calorie amount, then slowly sort your macros out.

From experience, just hitting your calorie goal and not considering what you are actually eating, eating empty calories etc only gets you so far, at some point you will most likely have to concentrate on eating healthily too.

Good luck on your weight loss!
  • beckarini
    beckarini Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I track my carbs as I am type 1 diabetic so it helps me work out how much insulin I need. I try to keep protein up and often go a little over on sugar... but as people say, as long as your cals are under you will be fine. I set my carbs quite low so if I go over it's not the end of the world :)
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options

Agreed. Nice post.