Bike Riding

Options
Since the weather has been nice I have been bike riding every chance I can get. I started off doing 6 miles and have graduated to doing 20 miles when I go for a ride now! I had no idea how much of a work out you get from riding. My legs are getting toned, my hips and waist is getting slimmer and believe it or not I am feeling it in my arms. When I get off my bike, I am drenched and my hair is wet....Gosh its a good workout.... I recently got a new rode bike for coming within 2lbs of my weight loss goals (Yay!)....I got the clipless bliking shoes and pedals to go with it....BOY WHAT A DIFFERENCE THIS MAKES....each time I ride my bike now, I have the perfect form...and I am working the front AND the back of my legs and thighs with each turn of the pedal vs. riding on the pedals that come with the bike! I just wanted to share my experience and love for riding my bike. Not only am i working out, but I am having fun while doing it! MFP - Pull those bikes out and get your work out on! :bigsmile:

Replies

• Elokyn
    Elokyn Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend just bought me a bike this passed Saturday! :) We went mountain bike riding Sunday and I loved it!! I can't wait to get home to ride some more! Love it!!! Keep up the great work1!!
  • megamom
    megamom Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    I love bike riding and it doesn't take long to build up your muscles so you can ride further and further..
  • Jax67
    Jax67 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I totally agree - bike riding is fantastic!

Keep up the good work :o)
  • halzuzu
    halzuzu Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I agree! I just recently bought a beach cruiser. After the first ride I felt it in my entire body..my core, arms, definitely my legs, glutes, etc. such a great workout and fun. I've been riding any chance I get. Can't wait till summer so I can ride more often without worrying about those spring showers.
  • BADGIRLstl
    BADGIRLstl Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    I love bike riding and it doesn't take long to build up your muscles so you can ride further and further..
    I know....when I tell people I went for 18miles they cringe....but its not all that bad at all....I feel it...but the accomplishment is well worth it.....
  • BADGIRLstl
    Options
    I agree! I just recently bought a beach cruiser. After the first ride I felt it in my entire body..my core, arms, definitely my legs, glutes, etc. such a great workout and fun. I've been riding any chance I get. Can't wait till summer so I can ride more often without worrying about those spring showers.
    I totally agree and the calories you burn is crazy :drinker:
  • Wolfena
    Wolfena Posts: 1,570 Member
    Options
    I also love my bike :heart:
  • johnmcfarm
    Options
    I love cycling!!! Makes me feel young. I have just gone on two rides so far this year and have done quick 15 mile rides. I am planning on doing a 150 mile trip in a few weeks, probably over three days. I have a hybrid...Trek 7700, I fits me perfectly. Happy trails to you this summer folks!
  • mmrose00
    mmrose00 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I have always wanted to get a bike and go riding.. I have to put that on my list for this summer, I can only imagine how relaxing it must be in addition to being a great workout!! Thanks for the encouragement and keep up the hard work!!! :-)
  • fietsdebbie
    Options
    Biking is so much fun! Glad you are enjoying it. When you go out for a ride, how long does it take to go 20 miles? Many hills? I ride a sit up straight Dutch bike which is more for going to the grocery store but I like it, and if I push it, I will be drenched with sweat too. Burn those calories!
  • chris31
    chris31 Posts: 19
    Options
    I have a new bike and I am riding 30 min a day for the last 5 days It has been wonderful no stress on my feet and knees yet a great workout and it makes me feel energized!! I love it.
  • singfree
    singfree Posts: 1,591 Member
    Options
    I've been biking for about 2 years now and I am addicted to it! This year I am shooting for 2000 miles. Last year was around 1500. For me, I cover 20 miles in 1 hr 10 mins on a hilly course. I use a road bike usually (Cannondale Synapse), but my wife & I have Trek hybrids for more casual riding. It's a great way to have fun and get fit!
  • BADGIRLstl
    Options
    I love cycling!!! Makes me feel young. I have just gone on two rides so far this year and have done quick 15 mile rides. I am planning on doing a 150 mile trip in a few weeks, probably over three days. I have a hybrid...Trek 7700, I fits me perfectly. Happy trails to you this summer folks!
    That's awesome.... I have a Trek also...its a 1.5 and I love it! I plan on joining the 100 mile trip towards the end of summer. I think I will be ready then.....Keep up the good work!
  • BADGIRLstl
    Options
    I've been biking for about 2 years now and I am addicted to it! This year I am shooting for 2000 miles. Last year was around 1500. For me, I cover 20 miles in 1 hr 10 mins on a hilly course. I use a road bike usually (Cannondale Synapse), but my wife & I have Trek hybrids for more casual riding. It's a great way to have fun and get fit!
    Oh Wow...that's awesome....I did 18 miles in 1:22... on a hilly course....I am trying to improve...but this is the first summer that I am REALLY getting into it....last year I sucked...plus I had a mountain bike that wasn't fit for me....I just graduated into a road Trek bike that was fitted for me!!!! I have been rocking and rolling every since....last month I was only doing about 8-11 miles and this month I am doing 15-20 miles.....I striving for 30miles next week. I had the odometer put on my bike, so I will see how many miles I complete this year.... You are doing awesome...thanks for the motivation!
  • BADGIRLstl
    Options
    Biking is so much fun! Glad you are enjoying it. When you go out for a ride, how long does it take to go 20 miles? Many hills? I ride a sit up straight Dutch bike which is more for going to the grocery store but I like it, and if I push it, I will be drenched with sweat too. Burn those calories!
    When I'm riding with my honey I can do 20 miles in 1:15mins....he rides much faster than I can and he pushes me....yesterday I rode 1 miles with him and did the last miles by myself while he went on to finish 25 miles.....I finished in 1:22 mins (because I went at my pace) but he finished his 25 in 1:31 mins....
  • BADGIRLstl
    Options
    I have always wanted to get a bike and go riding.. I have to put that on my list for this summer, I can only imagine how relaxing it must be in addition to being a great workout!! Thanks for the encouragement and keep up the hard work!!! :-)
    You would love it!!!
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    We got our daughter a bike for Easter. Then I realized I used to Mt Bike quite a bit.

However, my Specialized Rockhopper needs some new tires and tubes, I'm picking those up today at lunch, and doing as much of an overhaul on my ride as I can tonight. It probably needs a new cassette and chain but those will have to wait. It's been a long time since I've ridden regularly. But I'm going to change that this summer. Good thing is, I still have all the gear needed for long rides.

Hopefully I'll be a better rider than I was, because I've been running all winter. We'll see what happens. I've got an 8 mile ride planned for tomorrow.
  • Becky_Boop
    Options
    I went on my first bike ride for about 2 years yesterday! I managed to push out a good 6-7miles, but it really emphasised how unhealthy I am (50 minutes!!). I think it may be something that I am going to keep going with, other than being very, very tired it was quite fun =)
  • BADGIRLstl
    Options
    I went on my first bike ride for about 2 years yesterday! I managed to push out a good 6-7miles, but it really emphasised how unhealthy I am (50 minutes!!). I think it may be something that I am going to keep going with, other than being very, very tired it was quite fun =)
    Keep pushing...it will get easier, while you will still get a good workout! I remember my first ride, I was begging to take a break.....now I'm doing big things....going faster and longer distances, and not so out of breath.....
  • singfree
    singfree Posts: 1,591 Member
    Options
    I rode 15 miles last night and will do another 15 miles today after work. If the weather holds, I'm shooting for 100 miles per week.