Diet soda

Options
What is everybodies feeling on diet soda. i am addicted but am reading that even the diet stuff may be bad. Any thoughts?

Replies

• sunnyside1213
    sunnyside1213 Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    I gave it up. Aspartame is toxic.
  • 2rnip
    2rnip Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    There is absolutely no scientific evidence aspartame is toxic.
    I drink diet code from time to time.
  • laserturkey
    laserturkey Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    I drink 1 diet soda a day. No problems from that.
  • Mich49045
    Mich49045 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    love diet coke but this is what i do...once i have had atleast 8 glasses of water...i can treat myself to a diet soda
  • FitBeto
    FitBeto Posts: 2,121 Member
    Options
    So the FDA who gets its research from research centers funded by the very people who add ingredients to your foods are receiving 100% truths on the fact that aspartame is 100% harmless to your body?
  • krypt5
    krypt5 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    It is a lifesaver for me especially when I'm dieting on low calories.
    Anything can be toxic in extremes. People tend to reference studies bordering on the extreme, such as the ones done on rats being fed obscene amounts of aspartame since birth.
    As long as you're being sensible with the amounts you are taking, you will be fine.
  • suzan06
    suzan06 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Is it good for your? Probably not. But we all do plenty of things that are bad for us. I drink one a day. I love it and would happily drink 10 a day, but I limit it to 1 because it is bad for me, bad for the environment (all that plastic or aluminum, even if recycled, has a big environmental cost) and expensive.
  • pianolover2012
    pianolover2012 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    love diet coke but this is what i do...once i have had atleast 8 glasses of water...i can treat myself to a diet soda

^^^This is my trick also.
    Sometimes I just want something other than water or unsweetened tea. For my snack at night I often have light butter popcorn and a diet coke. Makes my day!
  • 2rnip
    2rnip Posts: 49 Member
    Options

Doesn't look like a medical source to me.Do you have any links to MEDICAL research?
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    panic.gif
  • RosscoBoscko
    RosscoBoscko Posts: 632 Member
    Options

Doesn't look like a medical source to me.Do you have any links to MEDICAL research?

Nope. Never said it was a medical source. Just the reason I don't drink diet drinks, but each to their own.

And medical sources aren't always correct just cos they're medical sources.
  • lsilly15
    lsilly15 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    i love diet pepsi!! i usually have one once or twice a week.
  • NovemberJune
    NovemberJune Posts: 2,525 Member
    Options
    me too
  • SophieC19
    SophieC19 Posts: 117 Member
    Options

^ Me too, aslong as you don't live off it I dont see any problem with having 1 can/small bottle a day :)
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,574 Member
    Options
    I gave it up. Aspartame is toxic.
    False.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • DoomCakes
    DoomCakes Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty sure it's like anything else... if you drink buckets a day it's not good for you. But if you're a casual drinker of like one or two a day then I don't see a problem.

However, I know my dad suffered some nerve damage that was linked to aspartame from diet soda. Granted, he was drinking more than one or two a day. But still, there are some problems that are linked to diet soda and honestly, after reducing my diet soda to once a week I FEEL better. Not as many headaches or brain fog feeling. But that's me, so you might not feel the same.

Honestly, I'd just say do what you like with it. If it's something you don't want to do with out, then don't. Something somewhere in your life is toxic, I mean smokers know that it'll hurt their health by a crap ton and they still smoke, so diet soda drinkers should still drink if they want.
  • clemsonsaint
    Options
    I recently quit drinking diet drinks. I personally think drinking diet drinks made me want to eat more sweets and other junk food. Of course that is just my unproven theory. However, since I have quit, dieting has been much easier. I have zero cravings for junk food or sweets and this is coming from someone who loved to binge eat.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,574 Member
    Options
    i love diet pepsi!! i usually have one once or twice a week.
    Same here. Once a day on average.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    So the FDA who gets its research from research centers funded by the very people who add ingredients to your foods are receiving 100% truths on the fact that aspartame is 100% harmless to your body?

Alternatively would you like to present any evidence that diet soda is harmful under doses that approximate human consumption at a moderate level?

Because outside of some non causative observational data using FFQ's I'm not aware of anything.