Been working hard, no results. Discouraged.

Options
13»

Replies

• desteves02
    desteves02 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Here are a couple of my suggestions that have worked for me in the past. First give your body a break, maybe working out 6 days a week is too much?? Try every other day to allow time in between for muscle repair. That being said, change up ur wkout routines. Also try eating small frequent meals every couple hours focusing mainly on whole foods, lots of water. Read a study about increasing water to 10 c/day. And lastly, maybe even try eating ur last meal of the day at 5 or 6.
  • gp79
    gp79 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    You're stressing over such miniscule amounts of weight. Fluid retention, hormone production, food in the digestive track, spikes in sodium etc. all have effect on your weight.

Make good food choices from variety of sources.
    Drink water.
    Exercise.
    Get plenty of sleep.

Atop all of that, find some ways to reduce your stress...like put your scale away for a while and allow yourself to forget about it.
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    He brings up a good point....what's your body fat%? Has that decreased? I think it takes a good month to detox from the holidays. I would cut down on a lifting workout or two per week and increase your cardio. That will assist in flushing out all of the badness from your holiday break. Cut out alcohol for the next couple of weeks while you are getting your body chemistry back into your norm and I bet you'll see the scale start to move. Keep up your chin--you are more than your weight. Don't let your emotions derail you.

Detoxing is a media concept or sales pitch. A healthy body 'detoxes' daily, every time you go to the bathroom and every time you sweat. If your body is holding on to poop or pee for up to a month you have a serious medical problem! Body chemistry is adjusted continuously throughout the day to maintain homeostasis, if this is not occurring it is a medical emergency.

A liver that has been under severe strain for an extended period such as someone who drinks heavily could well take up to a month for the enzyme levels to return to normal, but it is still 'detoxing' continuously unless they have cirrhosis or renal failure in which case they'd be a tad yellow.
  • TwentyTreize
    Options
    You're stressing over such miniscule amounts of weight. Fluid retention, hormone production, food in the digestive track, spikes in sodium etc. all have effect on your weight.

Make good food choices from variety of sources.
    Drink water.
    Exercise.
    Get plenty of sleep.

Atop all of that, find some ways to reduce your stress...like put your scale away for a while and allow yourself to forget about it.

This is solid gold advice
  • iamlaprell
    iamlaprell Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Have you considered that it might be muscle gain from amping up your work outs?
    Just saw your post saying you didn't think it was muscle gain.
  • katejkelley
    katejkelley Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    That sort of weight fluctuation is very normal for me. I can be up or down up to 2 pounds from one day to the next. Several things can contribute to that - water retention, PMS, constipation, etc. It's only been a couple weeks since we all hogged out over the holidays, so give yourself a little more time to see results. I'm going through the exact same thing. Was at 126.4 before Christmas, then up to 132 after the holidays. I'm at 129.2 now and have been there most of the week. I'm going to keep working out and staying within my calorie limits. It will drop again eventually.
  • ericmooney69
    Options
    Looking at your diary, I say wayyyyyy too much processed food, fast food, and not enough in the way of fresh vegetables, fruit and lean protein. Real food. Try one solid week of eating ONLY fresh veggies, fresh fruit and lean protein (not always lean, but 2/3 of the time) and I guarantee you will notice a difference.

Sit down in the next day or two, figure out a meal plan, go shopping Saturday or Sunday and get what you need for the week. Ideally you'll make a pitstop at the market mid-week to get fresh food.
  • YummyMummy2k13
    YummyMummy2k13 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Its ur muscle gain, its does actually weigh more than fat. if you look the same size having muscles as you did having fat, you will find you actually weigh more with the muscle body
  • T1mH
    T1mH Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    Are you logging everything? It's easy to not do when drinking alcohol and eating fast food.

You keep repeating that you did not have these problems in the past. When you wanted to lose you lost at a steady pace. Was what you were eating and drinking then similar? I think if you cut the alcohol and the fast food regardless of how much stress you have that you'd be back on track.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    I'm thinking sodium/water retention. I was pretty sure I was going to be in for a bit of dissapointment this AM for my official weekly weigh in as I weighed unofficially yesterday and was at the same exact weight as last week. I was really bad with my sodium on Mon and Tues...but really good on Wed and Thurs...When I weighed in the AM I was right on track at down 1.2 Lbs.

Also, remember that the scale really doesn't tell the whole story. Also, being at an already very healthy weight is going to make it more dificult to lose; your body wants to hold on to some of that fat. I would think you'd benefit most from heavy lifting for body composition and ignore the scale at this point.
  • T1mH
    T1mH Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    Its ur muscle gain, its does actually weigh more than fat. if you look the same size having muscles as you did having fat, you will find you actually weigh more with the muscle body
    Wrong, why do people reply when they don't read the whole thread. This has already been brought up in this thread.
  • LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    Options
    Looking at your diary, I say wayyyyyy too much processed food, fast food, and not enough in the way of fresh vegetables, fruit and lean protein. Real food. Try one solid week of eating ONLY fresh veggies, fresh fruit and lean protein (not always lean, but 2/3 of the time) and I guarantee you will notice a difference.

Sit down in the next day or two, figure out a meal plan, go shopping Saturday or Sunday and get what you need for the week. Ideally you'll make a pitstop at the market mid-week to get fresh food.

I see your point, I would get that impression from looking at my diary too haha, but it's actually not the most accurate representation of how I normally eat. I love to cook at home and I do it as much as I can. Unfortunately the pat few days I've had no chance to cook (I've been away from home for 12+ hours at a time with no access to a fridge), so I've been forced to eat out. And there was the Wednesday incident with the drinking and the fast food, but that really is unlike me.

A couple of you have mentioned the alcohol, though, and I appreciate that because I totally forgot that when I drink my weight ALWAYS goes up for a couple of days! So hopefully that has something to do with it. I don't drink that often so I should be fine having no alcohol for at least the next month.
  • now_or_never13
    now_or_never13 Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options

It's not muscle gain.. please read the whole thread before you post a reply that is false and doesn't answer the question.
  • Sizethree4Ever
    Sizethree4Ever Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I appreciate all the feedback so far. But to the people who say maybe I've gained muscle weight, I don't think that's it. First off, you can't gain muscle at a calorie deficit, and I'm at a fairly big deficit. Also, if I was indeed gaining muscle but losing fat, your'e right that the scale wouldn't change, but my measurements would. My measurements haven't changed at all, that's why I'm upset.

I think a lot of this can be chocked up to measurement error. Being off by 1/4" is very possible if you're measuring yourself. Fluid retention from the new workout plan and weightlifting can cause the 1 lb difference in expected weight versus what is really on the scale too. 1 lb difference is very hard to detect with any precision especially in women who tend to fluctuate more than men. The zig-zag calorie plan could very well be contributing to this also.

Furthermore, since you have so little weight to drop, two weeks isn't nearly long enough to know if your plan is working or not. Your rate of loss is going to be very very slow right now. Most of the people I know who are this close to their goal weight, it can take a full month for them to drop a pound and a full year to drop ten pounds.

I think you just need to work on being more consistent with your diet and patient. Weigh and measure once per month, try to keep your sodium and fluid intake at a consistent level (doesn't have to be ultra-low), and be consistent with your workout routine.

Sounds to me like you're doing very well and just need to work on being more patient.

Bump..