THE BUTT! I don't want to lose it!

Options
Hey ladies and gents! I'm starting my journey and I want to lose weight and get fit! But I don't want to lose my butt :noway: I think being a woman with curves is sexy and I don't want to lose em, but I also don't want to be flabby. Do you all have advice on what exercises are the best to do and get fit while still maintain a curvy body? I love cycling and that is a hobby and passion of mine but I also want to pick up running, let me know what you all think! :smile:

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Genetics will determine where you lose from. But if you store most of your fat in your lower section, you will probably still maintain a butt. You can do stuff like squats or lower body exercise to keep your muscles tight.
  • dukes418
    dukes418 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    This
  • m13sam2012
    Options
    <
    is better like that!! lose a little bit !! :laugh:
  • mlclarke22
    mlclarke22 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    definitely do squats and lunges..your butt will be better than ever! trust me!!
  • cheerforsteelers
    cheerforsteelers Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    Squat it out. Run, I guess. Wall sits.
  • NikkiGetsFit185
    NikkiGetsFit185 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    squats will help with them, add some weights even better. I'm the same way i dont want to lose mine either but i do want it nice and toned.
  • Carlyannabelle
    Carlyannabelle Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    Squats and deadlifts
  • Ewaldt
    Ewaldt Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I think that stairs are excellent for this purpose! Ergs are also really great for all of your legs and butt, but is more work, and more painful! haha!
  • scs143
    scs143 Posts: 2,190 Member
    Options
    Squats and deadlifts

Yes. And then more squats and deadlifts.
  • Khadijih
    Options
    Squats are great for building butt muscles. I'm a runner and my butt feels rock solid and still as bootylicious as ever! I do think genetics will still win but if you've already got a butt, your probably keep it but loose the flab and gain a nice tight booty!
  • _SusieQ_
    _SusieQ_ Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    I do like a good butt
  • SpecialSundae
    SpecialSundae Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    Do squats, lunges, climb stairs... basically anything that works your glutes. Yes, you'll lose fat as you lose weight but you'll have a nice tight, toned *kitten*.
  • GvieveRichards
    Options
    Yes Yes the Butt is very important oh.lols
  • shorty35565
    shorty35565 Posts: 1,425 Member
    Options
    Genetics will determine where you lose from. But if you store most of your fat in your lower section, you will probably still maintain a butt. You can do stuff like squats or lower body exercise to keep your muscles tight.

^This
  • amandammmq
    amandammmq Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    I remember being horrified when my butt started to shrink! I was told that squats, lunges, and kettlebell swings would be good for keeping it big and glorious. :love:
  • deckerelle
    Options
    Squats are great for building butt muscles. I'm a runner and my butt feels rock solid and still as bootylicious as ever! I do think genetics will still win but if you've already got a butt, your probably keep it but loose the flab and gain a nice tight booty!

Awesome! Thank you, that's what I want!! Do you incorporate squats in with your runs afterwards or do you dedicate full days to different exercises? And I've seen a couple people say stairs, definitely going to start hitting those.
  • deckerelle
    Options
    I've never heard of the kettlebell techniques! How is it done, and what does it work? You've got me curious!
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Weighted squats and deadlifts will help maintain muscle in your rear (and pretty much everywhere) as you lose fat. A good butt is muscle, not fat.
  • llpaq
    llpaq Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    http://www.myomytv.com/the-glute-journey-glute-bridge-to-hip-thrust/ glute bridge wieghted bridge and hip thrusts !

I'm with you on that - I love my curves and hate to see them go but I can't be fat anymore- and to me a flat butt is worse then a fat butt so hopefully these will help :smile:
  • supplemama
    supplemama Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    eh, it depends on what kind of butt you have. You know how some women have big boobs that are mostly actual breast tissue and they have big boobs even if they weigh 125 pounds? but other women only have big boobs if they are fat/obese....as soon as they lose the excess weight the big boobs go. Butts are like that. If you naturally have a big bum that is mostly butt muscle, you will still have a big bum when you are thin. But if you have a big bum that is mostly fat, you're going to lose much of it.

Squats help your booteh 'pop' in either case so...get to squatting! :happy: