descreet ways to exercise

Options
13»

Replies

• shanmackie
    shanmackie Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I do lunges around the restroom at work. Squat & press with my 3 lb weights while watching TV. random pushups.

If you work in front of a computer FitBolt is great - it tells you a little exercise to do at your desk every few minutes. :)
  • mag2906
    mag2906 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Could you do a workout DVD for half an hour at home, three times per week? An hour and a half is not much to give up during the week and you don't need to leave the house to do it.

This. You could try 30 Day Shred with Jillian Michaels. It will not take more than 35 minutes - including changing to your workout outfit.
  • NureeniWright
    Options
    Wall pushups seem like a really good idea, maybe expand on that and try doing some wall squats as well? They look really easy but it takes quite a lot of effort. I work on a register and when there are no customers around I do sets of 20 calf raises and I'm really happy with how much more muscular my calves have become.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    Do the Tabata protocol with something like body weight squats or burpees. Takes literally 4 mins a day. 20 seconds max effort, 10 seconds rest, repeat 8 times.

Basically 4 mins, max effort, no equipment. Done!

I just read the Tabata protocol on tabataprotocol.com and it states not to do it with weights.

Bless!

Perhaps you need to re-read what I wrote a touch more carefully?
  • AlexPaige
    AlexPaige Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Do you watch tv? if so you have time to exercise :O) We have a mini-trampoline and I'll bounce on that while i watch tv sometimes.

With the bathroom breaks, maybe jumping jacks sometimes instead just to switch it up.

Turn on the radio and dance while you do housework! Or just have a dance party with your kids (if you have them).

This! I also love doing "commercial break" workouts. I found a few on Pinterest, and sometimes I'll even find ones based on a tv show I like. Great way to exercise without a ton of effort.
  • CrimsonDiva7
    CrimsonDiva7 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    You can do ab vacuums at your desk. Check out LiveStrong.com for description.
  • ChristineS_51
    ChristineS_51 Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    When you are sitting at your desk, or on the train, just lift one leg up (keep knee bent, just lift foot off floor) and HOLD as long as you can. Then do the other leg. Keep repeating until your train stop arrives! Or your legs get tired. I do this,when I am on the train or bus I try and do it surreptitiously so I don't get funny looks from other passengers.

Also do 60 jumping jacks if you have a spare minute.
    March on the spot.
    Clench your butt muscles whilst sitting.
    Do arm exercises whilst you wait for the photocopier / kettle / etc
    Walk quickly up and down corridors / stairs at work - don't email people, go and see them
    My bus stop has a bench, so I do squats - like I am going to sit, then stand up, then nearly sit. Again only if there is no-one else around! :laugh:
    I also step up and down the kerbing whilst I am waiting for the bus, or just keep walking back and forth, anything to keep my body moving.
  • DebbieWhitney68
    Options
    Or if you have a long drive just listen to music and squeeze your butt. Either together or separately. And then press your stomach into your back...I get a half hour workout on the way to and from work for a total of an hour.
  • Boogage
    Boogage Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    It might sound a bit weird but I often work out in my bath tub. Its the only place I'm ever alone....no...the kids still wander in and out but anyway I do some sit ups, arm raises, cycyling movements with my legs etc all while giving the rest of my muscles a nice soak
  • Artillerybabe
    Artillerybabe Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Im a single working mum who pre baby ran 4 miles a day, did the gym and a triathlon! now more sedate for restricting lifestyle reasons, but ive just got myself an exercise bike off ebay cheap as chips and everynte when little man is asleep i cycle away when the good weather comes ill get out on the "real" bike with him on the back! that and sit ups and free weights every morning im getting my daily exercise requirements and as soon as my fitness starts to return im getting on the 30 day shred dvd where theres a will theres a way xx
  • caroleannlight
    caroleannlight Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Walking in the spot. I've mastered looking like I need to pee constantly. The looks I get are great. I even do steps ups on the curb. When I wait for the bus (rare now cause I decide to walk EVERYWHERE) I will do some full on workouts in the bus stop.

I thought I was the only one. lol pleased to hear I'm not
  • Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Options
    I am fortunate to have a room where I work alone. In between clients I am able to do push-ups, pike shoulder presses, put two chairs (not wheeled chairs) facing each other and do chair dips, prisoner squats, one legged lunges with one foot on a chair seat, one legged calf raises and the good old pistol squat I am working on right now. If I have time or a cancellation I can even get to do handstands up the wall and do handstand presses.

The only thing I have to do at home then is pullups and inverted rows for the pulling movements.

A couple of lunchtimes I get to go swimming of I can be flexible with my work hours.

Being able to cover nearly all my strength work in the working day, I am then able to do a yoga session at home every evening where, running both together in the evening I wouldn't have enough energy.

I don't have available time or inclination to go to a gym but I do get to do rope jumping and kettlebells over the weekend and a couple of yoga classes a week.

Fitting fitness into your working day like this can help you to feel it is part of your life so its actually a good thing. Yeah - I'm pretty fortunate.
  • EinTX
    EinTX Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I am in the same boat. 12 hour shift + 8 hours sleep + 2 hours commute + 1 hour getting dressed in the morning = 1 hour for packing lunches, cooking supper, dishes, and working out. I do get a full hour for lunch most days and I usually pack my lunch so I usually circuit train in a stairwell. There is one that leads to the dock that is hotter in the summer and colder in the winter but usually only used by the facilities guys and they are cool and don't laugh at me to much. I walk up a flight and do a few squats on the platform up another flight then wall push-ups, etc. With a set of bands you can really mix up your workout and use the handrail to secure them. Then I even mix up a little more by taking one flight of steps two at a time, then the next one walking sideways with a left foot lead, then the next flight with a right foot lead then the next flight two steps up and one step back. You can build a pretty decent workout in a stairwell. I have artificial knees and cannot do anything like jumping jacks so the stairs can really get the heart rate up low impact.

I just heard about that tabata workout but haven't tried it yet. I did find an app for my phone that times the circuit for you.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    Oh, and as to tabata using body weight exercises goes - using weighted exercises is fine too. You're not recommended to use weighted exercises if you're not used to them and/or untrained, because going hell-for-leather with bad form, bad conditioning and a heavy load is just asking for an injury.

Personally, I have done it with barbell front squats (thank you, Dan John) and kettlebell squats. And I'm still alive! You just need to use your common sense and pitch it at your training level, injury history and skill at the particular exercise chosen.....

Plus, if you don't have 11 minutes (5 min warm up, 4 minute tabata protocol, 2 minute cool down/stretch) in a day to do this, then you're lying to yourself. So stop lying to yourself and start doing it......
  • pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    I actually believe in the 10 minute walk breaks at work.. I also walk 20 minutes at lunch, eat for 20 minutes, and then take 20 more minutes back to my desk.

I do 5-40 minutes of yoga/barre 3 every morning.

I will do 2-4 sun salutations while my coffee is brewing every morning.

It worked last year to get 45 pounds off. I am working towards a more focused approached to strength training this year.