Off topic, but need personal advice....

Options
Since I don't have insurance and have been dealing with some mega-health issues, all of my money is gone now. I have about 4 weeks left on my unemployment benefits and there is no guarantee that I can get an extension. I'm approved for the states No Worker Left Behind program that will pay for me to finish my medical assisting program and put me back to work, but I have to go full-time wether or not I'm still recieving unemployment. At this point, I can't start the program till fall anyway because they are low on funding. If I'm working full-time when my number comes up, I will be disqualified, if I'm not working and lose my unemployment, I'm screwed obviously. I can't find a job in my old field and it seems like the only jobs availabe are commision sales, military, or jobs that require the education I am currently recieving.

I was approved for Medicaid with a $644 spend down. Either way, after I pay my neccessities I have no money left. I don't know how they figure I have an extra $644 per month. I proved that my medical expenses exceed $3000 per month and I have wiped out my assests and after rent, transportaion, utilities, and food, I have nothing each month.

If I take a job at say McD's, I will still fall short of what I bring in with unemployment, but I might have insurance in 90 days. I would also have to quit school 1 month before the semester ends and forfit that money if the job interferes with my classes. I will also have to pay for childcare so I'd have even less money.

If I stick with the program, I might get an extension on unemployment and still may be able to finish school, but I won't be able to pay my medical expenses anymore. I might be able to get help from the hospital and of course I can always make payment arrangements on my bills. The only problem is that my debt is all medical and it only keeps getting higher and higher. Even making payment arrangements is practically a lie. No matter how low the payment is, I don't think I could ever pay it off at this rate. $3000 per month in expenses paid off at $5.00 per week leaves me in debt beyond death. Plus I can't make payment arrangements on medications. The pharmacy wants to be paid in full of course.

What do you think I should do? Stick with school and the unemployment work program while I rack up debt? Or take any job I can find that offers any type of medical coverage and quit school indefinately? Either way, I'll still be broke and still have the existing debt. Should I just quit the doctors?

:huh: I'm totally lost.

Replies

• HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Options
    Since I don't have insurance and have been dealing with some mega-health issues, all of my money is gone now. I have about 4 weeks left on my unemployment benefits and there is no guarantee that I can get an extension. I'm approved for the states No Worker Left Behind program that will pay for me to finish my medical assisting program and put me back to work, but I have to go full-time wether or not I'm still recieving unemployment. At this point, I can't start the program till fall anyway because they are low on funding. If I'm working full-time when my number comes up, I will be disqualified, if I'm not working and lose my unemployment, I'm screwed obviously. I can't find a job in my old field and it seems like the only jobs availabe are commision sales, military, or jobs that require the education I am currently recieving.

I was approved for Medicaid with a $644 spend down. Either way, after I pay my neccessities I have no money left. I don't know how they figure I have an extra $644 per month. I proved that my medical expenses exceed $3000 per month and I have wiped out my assests and after rent, transportaion, utilities, and food, I have nothing each month.

If I take a job at say McD's, I will still fall short of what I bring in with unemployment, but I might have insurance in 90 days. I would also have to quit school 1 month before the semester ends and forfit that money if the job interferes with my classes. I will also have to pay for childcare so I'd have even less money.

If I stick with the program, I might get an extension on unemployment and still may be able to finish school, but I won't be able to pay my medical expenses anymore. I might be able to get help from the hospital and of course I can always make payment arrangements on my bills. The only problem is that my debt is all medical and it only keeps getting higher and higher. Even making payment arrangements is practically a lie. No matter how low the payment is, I don't think I could ever pay it off at this rate. $3000 per month in expenses paid off at $5.00 per week leaves me in debt beyond death. Plus I can't make payment arrangements on medications. The pharmacy wants to be paid in full of course.

What do you think I should do? Stick with school and the unemployment work program while I rack up debt? Or take any job I can find that offers any type of medical coverage and quit school indefinately? Either way, I'll still be broke and still have the existing debt. Should I just quit the doctors?

:huh: I'm totally lost.

Wow, tough situation Hon! I can't say I have the perfect answer for you as I'm not so sure there is a perfect one. After reading your post to the end, I see you put your two options you feel you have.

Being in debt is no fun at all. Looking to the future is very very important, I would go with schooling so you are looking ahead for you and your household (I recall you have a child(s)). If either situation brings up no cash in whatever direction you pick from, schooling will get you much further than a fast food job and then end up with no money. At least with schooling you'll have an education in time and be able to get a job that pays far more than a pud job (sorry no offense to anyone working at Fastfood places, but surely we all know it's not a place to make a living) that doesn't get you far in life.

I suggest you get quiet inside and find a place to get peaceful and relax and try not to stress while you think this through. Yes, it's a very stressful situation, but to set it all aside for a few minutes even and get calm and realize you will get through it, and we never know exactly what's around the corner in our lives.

At times our future can look hopeless but things happen to change that, and we never know what or how they come to be.

You're on my heart:heart:

Becca:flowerforyou:
  • HealthyChanges2010
    Options
    I know I've read your profile in the past and just now read it again, you've been through SO MUCH in such a short time being 31. You CAN make it through this! It won't be easy but as they say, 'nothing worth having ever is'. Keep your head on straight and do what's best for the future.

Debts even if they go to collections are often willing to take payments, they would rather know a person is trying than someone simply ignoring them because they don't know what to do.

Perhaps not considering how long it will take to finish off paying your debts at the moment might help bring a bit more peace about this whole situation? As I shared schooling can take us far in life and it's very important in this day and age to have a minimum of that to get a solid job to be able to have good insurance, enough to pay bills but still have some extra for savings for the future.

I think Schooling also really helps build self esteem for many of us, we are using our brain, learning new things and realizing we can go places with that new knowledge.

Ok, enough from me:blushing:

Wish you nothing but the best,
    Becca:flowerforyou:

Oops, guess I'm NOT done.

Just thought of one more thing for you to keep in mind. With the new health plan they are trying to work on folks with illnesses currently at this time aren't insurable for the most part. As it's considered pre-condition but they are trying to make it available that even those with already known conditions will be able to get coverage. Just another thought for you to consider to maybe keep the stress level down a bit for the future with your illness and bills.
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    See if you can find a part-time Teller position. My friend worked part-time as a Teller and went to school full-time and always had plenty of money...he works for Capital One & they started him at like, $13.50!! The bigger banks will pay more obviously so make those your priority if it interests you. Some banks will even reimburse your classes if you're going for business (or at least have them pay for your basics and don't declare a degree yet)
  • adegonia
    adegonia Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    My first suggestion is to check out Dave Ramsey's Total Money Makeover. It gives you step by step of how to get out of debt and how to stay out of debt. I did the Financial Peace University at my church and it changed my life! No I don't work for them or anything I just felt defeated like judging by your post you do and it gave me a new perspective. My other suggestion is to start thinking out of the box on how to bring in extra income. It sounds to me like you have made up your mind on going to school but you don't want to do it at the cost of all that extra debt. (I may be wrong) You have a child which makes it hard (trust me I was a single mom for 2 years I feel your pain) but there is always something you can do for money. Without knowing you it's hard to say what would work for you but I'll throw out a few suggestions anyways. Start babysitting for friends, start making hairbows and selling them, find something you are good at and start making money on the side for it.
  • MrsTomy
    MrsTomy Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    I definately recomend continuing with school, if it is at all possible! Since you are planning on working in the medical feild - most hospitals have great health benefits at a VERY low cost (compared to other insurance plans). And, if you owe the hospital money (for services, surgeries, etc) they will work with you on VERY low payment pland and payroll deductions! Also, many hospitals will help you to further your education - say if you wanted to become a RN or something like that in the future! As tough as things might be right now, from what I know I think really the only way to better your situation permanently is to continue your education!

You can do it!!! :) I wish you the best of luck with everything!

P.S. - also many hospitals offer patient care tech jobs that require no educational prerequisites...so maybe you could work as a tech while you're in school! The pay isn't bad and if you work full time you can qualify for insurance. They are usually 12 hour shifts so 3 12s is sull time - leaving time for school and kids still! I know lots of people where I work working full time with kids while going to school. I'm sure it is very difficult - but if you work hard for a few years it can really pay off!!

Feel free to message me if you have any questions!!! :)
  • hymiesmom
    hymiesmom Posts: 76
    Options
    School. School. School. Debt will ALWAYS be there, it's important you aquire the skills needed to stay away from a dead end job.

Stay strong...I'm sorry you are going through such a hard time.
  • Ashia1317
    Ashia1317 Posts: 415
    Options
    This may not totally help, but I was told by a good friend:

THEY CAN NEVER REPO YOUR EDUCATION.

:flowerforyou:
  • sstoeberl
    sstoeberl Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    First off, I would say you seem like a very strong person after reading your post and your profile. I don't want to say that I can sympathize, because I can't but I just wanted give my advise. I second, or third, or whatever, everyone else's advise about staying in school. The only way to gain a better financial future is going to be to put yourself in a better place, and it seems like school is going to get you to that better place. It may suck for a while, but in the end you will have so many more opportunities. Secondly, keep with the doctors. I know the expenses are huge, but if you have finally found the correct meds and good doctors, you certainly don't want to give that up and relapse to your previous condition. Thirdly, I would find someone that you can talk to about your stress (that won't cost any more money), just to help you vent and maybe put things in perspective. There are lots of churches that will provide counseling or just an open ear. I know I have bent my pastor's ear many times. Even if you are not religious, I would recommend this.

Remember you are blessed to be alive and have a beautiful daughter and have the opportunity to get an education, so fight for the life that you deserve!! It may take a while, but remember its the journey that makes us stronger, not the finish line.

Stephanie
  • nehtaeh
    nehtaeh Posts: 2,977 Member
    Options
    I'd say finish your program. How long til you are done with that? Is it a day program or can you do online and/or night classes?

Have you ever looked into state or federal jobs? I know that there are posting for these all the time. This, http://agency.governmentjobs.com/michigan/default.cfm, will take you to the State postings. usajobs.org is the site for federal posting. I think the state might be quicker to get you into a job though. I don't know what your background is so I don't know what you'd be qualified for, but these jobs might help you get insurance quick, and good insurance, if you can find something.

I don't know what medical issues you speak of. Is it something you can manage without the drs and the drugs? If not, keep going, set up payment arrangements, and go from there. When you are making money you might be able to offer them much less to settle the accounts. In the meantime, your health is important.

I guess I would just suggest trying for all options. Chances are a job wouldn't start for a couple weeks, then you'll know more about your unemployment. If it continues, great. If not, you are already looking for other income. As has been stated, schooling is important and will get you farther than not, especially today and in MI economy.

Hugs to you. I know this is hard, but you will get through it. Did they give you MI child for your daughter? I'm surprised medicaid didn't pick you up as well. I moved back to MI when my girls were 4 months old and we all got medicaid as we had 0 income. Good luck. Let me know if I can help at all.
  • leavinglasvegas
    Options
    I actually took Financial Peace last year when I first lost my job. I credit that program to my having any savings at all to have recently run out of. I love that program! The problem is that I just have so little coming in and my medical bills are taking over my life.

If I take a part-time job it doesn't help me make more money. Whatever I make under my regular unemployment payments has to be reported. Then they deduct that from my payment. So if I take a job that pays me an extra $200 a week, they subtract that from my weekly benefit and only pay me the difference. So in other words, if I'm going to get a job, its more beneficial if I go full time and earn more than I am on unemployment. Unless I find a cash paying job and don't report it. But I'm too chicken to try something like that. I know people do it all the time, but I'm not comfortable with that.

I guess I really should stick with school. I've got a bunch of stuff in the basement I can sell. Maybe I should learn to use ebay.... Also I can look forward to the tiny cash I will make by selling my school books at the end of the semester....
  • WrenLynn
    WrenLynn Posts: 213
    Options
    Definitely go to school! Even if you got a job at McD's or something of that nature that will not guarantee you good medical insurance. I have a great job but very crappy insurance (high deductible plan that still costs a fortune per month and they don't pay anything until you have spent $5250 each year).
    When I was a stay at home mom living only on my husband's salary we had medical debt that we couldn't really afford to pay. Even if you can only send them $5 a month that is better than nothing. Good luck and I will be praying for your situation.
  • FabiolaEnvy♥
    Options
    ill be praying for you and if you are ever interested in finical independence. I can get you some info and some guidance :) i wish you the best on everything :)
  • Laceylala
    Laceylala Posts: 3,094 Member
    Options
    I agree with the poster who said "they can't repo your education." I'd personally stick it out unless I found that I would not get an unemployment extension...and then I'd stick it out until I literally had no money coming. And you don't yet know if you will or will not get an extension.

Don't you qualify for financial aid loans to help you get through school as well? IDK if you are going to a community college or a tech school, but CC's and University's give you financial aid for both schooling costs and cost of living.
  • HealthyChanges2010
    Options
    I actually took Financial Peace last year when I first lost my job. I credit that program to my having any savings at all to have recently run out of. I love that program! The problem is that I just have so little coming in and my medical bills are taking over my life.

If I take a part-time job it doesn't help me make more money. Whatever I make under my regular unemployment payments has to be reported. Then they deduct that from my payment. So if I take a job that pays me an extra $200 a week, they subtract that from my weekly benefit and only pay me the difference. So in other words, if I'm going to get a job, its more beneficial if I go full time and earn more than I am on unemployment. Unless I find a cash paying job and don't report it. But I'm too chicken to try something like that. I know people do it all the time, but I'm not comfortable with that.

I guess I really should stick with school. I've got a bunch of stuff in the basement I can sell. Maybe I should learn to use ebay.... Also I can look forward to the tiny cash I will make by selling my school books at the end of the semester....
    Craig's list in your area is another option. Though use it carefully and wisely!
  • leavinglasvegas
    Options

Hugs to you. I know this is hard, but you will get through it. Did they give you MI child for your daughter? I'm surprised medicaid didn't pick you up as well. I moved back to MI when my girls were 4 months old and we all got medicaid as we had 0 income. Good luck. Let me know if I can help at all.

The whole medicaid thing frustrates the heck out of me. My daughter had Mi Child when I was working and I paid the $10 per month for it. As soon as I lost my job they put her on Medicaid with an HMO. She had to change doctors and everything. My friend who makes about the same as I bring in on unemployment was approved for medicaid at NO cost. While I was told that because I have income I have to pay the first $644 per month before they will pick anything up. So far in the past 2 months, they've picked nothing up for me and I've exceeded the $644 and turned in all bills and medical info. The whole thing is a nightmare, its not even worth fighting for. They won't even tell me how they figure the budget.

Like I said, my friend makes the same as me and is 100% approved AND gets $200 in food stamps with no medical problems. O and she lives with her bf and gets support. I have nothing more than unemployment compensation and proof of neccessary monthy medical expenses and I have a monthly deductible. In all honesty, if I had an extra $644 per month, I'd have bought the cobra policy that was $497 for just me. But when I look at the math, its impossible.
  • leavinglasvegas
    Options
    This may not totally help, but I was told by a good friend:

THEY CAN NEVER REPO YOUR EDUCATION.

:flowerforyou:

:heart: this!!!!
  • leavinglasvegas
    Options
    I agree with the poster who said "they can't repo your education." I'd personally stick it out unless I found that I would not get an unemployment extension...and then I'd stick it out until I literally had no money coming. And you don't yet know if you will or will not get an extension.

Don't you qualify for financial aid loans to help you get through school as well? IDK if you are going to a community college or a tech school, but CC's and University's give you financial aid for both schooling costs and cost of living.

I go to a CC, but they don't allow anyone to take out loans for more than the cost of classes and books anymore. I have thoroughly researched this option, lol! I did this in Esthetics school and made it by without a problem. My only option is to change schools to a vocational school with an accelerated medical assisting program, but then I will not get the associates degree and I can't transfer the credits I already have. I'll have to start all over from scratch. Plus if I change schools before the NWLB program starts funding me, I'll lose my place in line for that funding. This wouldn't matter if it wasn't for the fact that I'm adding to my debt by taking student loans when the NWLB will pay for my tuition, books, uniforms, and supplies and I never have to pay that back. The biggest problem is waiting on a government program for funding. I'm at their mercy and on their time table. I do not like this.
  • MTGirl
    MTGirl Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    Wow. What a spot to be in! I can't offer any advise, except that an education is priceless. I will be praying for you for wisdom and peace - and a stroke of brilliance about earning some $ too!
  • leavinglasvegas
    Options
    Thanks everyone, for yor honest advise.

I'm going to stick it out. But I'm also going to spruce up my resume and take it to the hospital HR department this week. I noticed that they offer some benefits to even part-time employees. Maybe if I can get my foot in the door by working in the cafeteria a few hours per week, that would help me down the road.

Meanwhile, time to clean out the basement and maybe try selling cosmetics or something. Maybe I can find a professional company that will not require a huge investment. (I hate Avon and Arbonne, lol.)

I also discovered a Spa that is opening this month and they are looking for a part-time esthetician..... I applied. Fingers crossed!

Thank you all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • nehtaeh
    nehtaeh Posts: 2,977 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone, for yor honest advise.

I'm going to stick it out. But I'm also going to spruce up my resume and take it to the hospital HR department this week. I noticed that they offer some benefits to even part-time employees. Maybe if I can get my foot in the door by working in the cafeteria a few hours per week, that would help me down the road.

Meanwhile, time to clean out the basement and maybe try selling cosmetics or something. Maybe I can find a professional company that will not require a huge investment. (I hate Avon and Arbonne, lol.)

I also discovered a Spa that is opening this month and they are looking for a part-time esthetician..... I applied. Fingers crossed!

Thank you all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I doubt you have much smaller stuff, but if you have any 3T or even 4T stuff for little girls - lemme know. Also any toys for that age range, espeically outdoor stuff. I'm in the market for sure.

I tried to sell partylite once upon a time. The startup kit is free as long as you have like $350 in sales for your starter party. Just an option for you. You really could make some money doing that as long as you know people and get parties lined up - and can sell a bit.