Menstral cycle...ugh.

Options

Replies

• kimosabe1
    kimosabe1 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    I can't weigh until 3 days after my period ends and I shouldn't weigh 4 days before it starts because my scale adds 8 pounds! I know, it sucks!
  • kjm3579
    kjm3579 Posts: 3,975 Member
    Options
    You've got to watch those fluctuations -- An Asian guy walks into the New York City currency exchange with 2000 yen and walks out with $72. Next week he walks in with 2000 yen and gets $66. He asks the lady why he gets less money this week than last week. The lady says "Fluctuations". The Asian guy storms out, and just before slamming the door, turns around and says: "Fluc you Amelicans too!"
  • LauraW1219
    LauraW1219 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I gain for two days, but after those two days I lose the biggest amounts of weight for 4-5 days. Everyone is different, but watch the sodium around that week. I have noticed that is a factor with the numbers.
  • Guinevere117
    Guinevere117 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    ugh..... I hate this too! It is very annoying. The only advise I can give is to maintain your diet and don't weight yourself for that week.
    I also hate it, because one week prior and during the week, I suddenly get SO hungry that no food (regardless of whether it is healthy or not) is safe in my closet and refrigerator.
  • mbuczkowski
    Options
    I am in my 2nd cycle since starting and I lost the week of my cycle, but gain (inexplicably) afterwards...go figure. Since I am mid cycle, not sure what next week holds in store. But so far, I have lost weight again during this cycle.
  • CailleachBeara
    CailleachBeara Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I get horribly bloated during my period and can gain up to a kilo just from the bloating do I don't weigh myself for the first three days of my cycle as the weight gain is only temporary, so why torture myself? As some other posters pointed out it's part of life so don't stress too much over it.
  • Taterpoof
    Taterpoof Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    Before I started depo provera, my periods were so bad that I was terrified for that time of the month. I'd gain about 5 lbs. (water weight), have cramps so bad that I couldn't move, and extremely heavy periods. We women are cursed lol =)
  • Selunca
    Selunca Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I never had a period until after I had my daughter, so the last 9 months have been just.. a treat, let me tell you.

Because of this, I've gone to weighing twice a month. Once a week or so before it starts, and then once a week or so after it ends. Otherwise, I'd be throwing the scale. Because lord knows I feel bloated as hell during it.
  • Kirijyma
    Options
    You've got to watch those fluctuations -- An Asian guy walks into the New York City currency exchange with 2000 yen and walks out with $72. Next week he walks in with 2000 yen and gets $66. He asks the lady why he gets less money this week than last week. The lady says "Fluctuations". The Asian guy storms out, and just before slamming the door, turns around and says: "Fluc you Amelicans too!"

That made me laugh.
  • glitteredgrave
    glitteredgrave Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I gain when I'm on my period, yet within the week after my period that weight comes off.
  • stacie101067
    Options

Love it!!
  • atkinsonge
    Options
    I've lost 4.2 pounds thru diet and exercise since starting last Friday. I weigh daily. I started my period today and worry that I'll see a gain when I step on the scale tomorrow. Weigh? Wait until my period is over and weigh? Pull my uterus out and burn it! :) I'm open to suggestions!!
    You don't need to pull it out and burn it, they just stick a laser up your hoo hah and burn the lining away. My mother had it done so she doesn't menstruate anymore. I was lucky enough to just naturally not menstruate. There are also birth contol pills where you take an active pill every day to stop mentruation.

I hope you are joking..

Hormonal birth control can make it harder to lose weight. I would suggest to avoid the weight scale during that time. I would also suggest cutting back on salt and drink more water to prevent water weight and bloat.
  • Miss_Z_87
    Options
    At least your HGH increases during your menstral cycle (Human Growth Hormone) so its better to lift weights during that time :)

"Studies have found that human growth hormone levels rise in response to a single resistance training session in women. This release is greatest during the luteal phase of menstrual cycle, These findings suggest that HGH is one of the main hormones responsible for increasing muscle mass in females. The more muscle fibers fatigued the greater the release of HGH so compound exercise should be used. One study found that the greatest release of HGH was during 10 reps to max (to failure)."

Something kinda cool and positive about menstruation :laugh:
  • kimosabe1
    kimosabe1 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    I gain 8 pounds so I usually don't weigh for 3 days after I get off.
  • crimznrose
    crimznrose Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Pull my uterus out and burn it! :) I'm open to suggestions!!

:laugh: My periods are massively painful, so I'm putting in a vote for this if you can show me it can be safely done!

^^^^ THIS!!! ^^^^ :grumble:
  • bearwith
    bearwith Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    Normal for scales to register 4 pound term gain when you are about to come on, then it goes down as long as you have not hit the chocolate!
  • etoiles_argentees
    etoiles_argentees Posts: 2,827 Member
    Options
    At least your HGH increases during your menstral cycle (Human Growth Hormone) so its better to lift weights during that time :)

"Studies have found that human growth hormone levels rise in response to a single resistance training session in women. This release is greatest during the luteal phase of menstrual cycle, These findings suggest that HGH is one of the main hormones responsible for increasing muscle mass in females. The more muscle fibers fatigued the greater the release of HGH so compound exercise should be used. One study found that the greatest release of HGH was during 10 reps to max (to failure)."

Something kinda cool and positive about menstruation :laugh:

Right? There's got to be something positive. :)
  • mrsjas2000
    mrsjas2000 Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    I try to drink more water than I normally do and if I do then I can still lose 1-2 lbs
  • Crystaleyed
    Crystaleyed Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I never weigh when I'm having my TOM, but I think it's up to you, it's better if you know how much you gain that's all I can really say.
  • x_pix_x
    x_pix_x Posts: 21
    Options
    It's up to you whatever you do to be honest, but I continued to weigh in on mine last week, I hop on the scales most days though, I don't stress over it it just helps me get used to and accept the fluctuations. Also by stepping on the scales each day of my period it stopped me reaching for the chocolate lol! I only record the weight I am on a Wednesday morning though as that was the day I first weighed myself. That may mean recording a gain if it falls on a day during my period where I'm bloating but I just accept that it should be water weight and will come off the following week.