So mad. Ready to give up, read me, and give advice!

Options

Replies

• RotterdamNL
    RotterdamNL Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    all i can say do some reall kick *kitten* workouts like insanity, tapout xt, les mills body combat etc
  • WarPonyV
    WarPonyV Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Keep in mind that even if you are not currently seeing a decrease in your numbers, by eating right and exercising you are making yourself more healthy!!! That is NOT "working your *** off for nothing"!!

8 pounds in two days is not a "real" weight gain. that is water weight or bloating or something else like that, so don't let it discourage you, it is temporary. And even if it was real weight, you are still making yourself healthier and eventually it WILL pay off in more weight loss!
  • BrenNew
    BrenNew Posts: 3,420 Member
    Options
    Like the others all said, DON'T GIVE UP, drink lots of water, log everything, and keep getting your exercising in, and the weight WILL come off! Just check out all the members who have lost anywhere from 40 to 150 pounds. MFP REALLY, REALLY, DOES work, so just stick with it! :smile:
  • ECA67
    ECA67 Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    Could it be pms ? I usually gain a lot of water weight 7-10 days before.
  • biscuitwelsh
    biscuitwelsh Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    As a person becomes obese, they become ever more efficient at storing excess calories as fat. There are a variety of medical terms that are used to denote this-- metabolic condition, insulin resistant etc. If you have this condition, counting calories isn't enough, you need to pay attention to the Glycemic Load of what you're eating and your blood sugar-- there are all sorts of books and information on the subject but I've found applying them has been the difference between success and failure.
  • 20poundsn5weeks
    Options
    The main thing is to stick with it! The scale is a good tool but if you base your self worth on it you are probably in for an emotional roller coaster. Sometimes weight will go up and down depending on the time of the month. Just pick out a goal pair of pants(a size or 2 smaller than you wear now) or take some measurements(waist, thighs, hips etc.) and give the scale a rest for now. Also, adding some weight training a couple of times a week has helped me. Stay strong and stick with it, it sounds like your doing a great job!
  • gloria63
    gloria63 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I would try a 3 day liquid diet. You can even do the Mater Cleanse. Both will help clean out your system and get your metabolism going. I do the 3 day liquid diet once a month. Don't worry, the weight will come off. Good luck!
  • LoriIone
    LoriIone Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I am overwhelmed by the supportive comments! Thank you everyone!!!
  • jhigg11
    jhigg11 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Lorilone, Don't give up. This journey is tough. I know it's hard not to look at the scale, because you want results, but I would say give the scale a break. Take out the measuring tape, it's far kinder. Also, I don't know if you have been tested, but I know you said you have kids. Have you been tested for a thyroid problem. This is what confounded me for so long. It would be so difficult to lose weight and I did give up several times. That's just something to think about. Drop the soda, it's not good for you at all. Good luck girl.
  • chelscc1984
    Options
    I know exactly how you feel, because every time I fail to keep going it's because of sodium weight gain!
  • sd_dilligaf
    sd_dilligaf Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    In AA and other 12-step programs, the mantra is to achieve success in God's time, not by your schedule. Do the work. be honest - really honest - about food eaten, quantities consumes, exercise calories (MFP calories for exercise are usually way too generous and then you eat back too much) - and weight yourself once a week.

I have been up and down this path myself. When I do it honestly it works. When I get lazy Ior sloppy, I gain it back.

You can do this!
  • bearwith
    bearwith Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    How much exercise have you done? Do not make the mistake of eating your exercise calories.

Are you measuring the food accurately?

Make sure you get 10,000 steps a day.

Drink a glass of warm water every half hour - set your cooker timer to remind you. Have the water ready to drink with a straw.

Before you eat anything, drink a whole glass of water slowly.

THERE IS NO WAY THAT YOU WILL NOT LOSE WEIGHT IF YOU FOLLOW THIS FOR A WEEK.
  • Vercell
    Vercell Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    leave that scale alone it will mess with your head. Go by your inches and its impossible to gain 8 lbs in two days, unless you eat 7,000 calories. Thats not the case dont give up think about other things than the numbers on the scale think how strong you feel after you work out, how much much longer you can go in your workouts. Think about how you are making better choices and how its a life style change something you plan to to do the rest of your life even when things dont show on the scale. You dont give up on life so dont give up on your weight loss its hard but it is worth it. I started at 220 it took me 7 years up and down I gave up alot but i did not give up keep going.
  • Vercell
    Options
    In AA and other 12-step programs, the mantra is to achieve success in God's time, not by your schedule. Do the work. be honest - really honest - about food eaten, quantities consumes, exercise calories (MFP calories for exercise are usually way too generous and then you eat back too much) - and weight yourself once a week.

I have been up and down this path myself. When I do it honestly it works. When I get lazy Ior sloppy, I gain it back.

You can do this!
  • Vercell
    Options
    Great response if you see this please add me .
  • baja572
    baja572 Posts: 94
    Options
    Don't quit!!! Keep going.....anytime you don't eat well wait a week before getting on those evil scales....good luck
  • OspreyVista
    OspreyVista Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    I did have some water, but not my 8 cups per day, I have diet soda and coffee mostly.

^ there lies your problem. Drink more water, and less soda. Also, track your changes by the way you feel, not the scale. The scale can help when you do see your weight go down, but there are going to be times when you don't see it move even when you do everything right. Buy a measuring tape, and track your changes that way. :)
  • Graceious1
    Graceious1 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    When I have gone on a night out and weigh myself I notice the same thing. Then when I weight myself in the morning there is a massive difference. As I and many have said before the scales will not be your friend when you are on the path to losing weight or fat. You can do this. Hook up, if you can, with someone who has been successful with living healthy or a Personal Trainer. They are really good at getting people who are stuck to be motivated. You will be alright, just need to refocus.

Take care hun'
  • Fibergurl
    Options
    Eat raw celery..it's a natural diuretic.
  • DocMarr
    DocMarr Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Don't give up - what's the alternative? Just pile weight on and not care? I know that's not what you want to do or otherwise you wouldn't be calling for help. So let me offer some encouragement.

Last year my weight reached a plateau and I stayed the same weight for 4 months. It was quite frustrating because I was logging everything I ate very faithfully (so I knew I wasn't over eating) but no matter how much I exercised it didn't seem to make a difference to the scale - but my goodness it made a difference to the tape measure. I kept a diary and measured every month at lots of points round my bust, midriff, waist, tummy, hips, thighs, upper arms, calf - and every month it would show a loss in inches, despite not showing up on the scale.

A month ago I bought an Aria wifi scale that links to my Fitbit account and having used it for the past month and weighed myself every morning I now have statistical evidence to back this up. Although my weight continues to stay the same, the ratio between my lean muscle mass and my fat continues to change. A month ago I weighed 67 kg and 43.6kg of that was lean and 23.5kg of that was fat. Today I weighed in and my weight was 67.1kg and yet 45.5kg of that was lean and 21.6kg was fat. That's a loss of 2kg (or about 4lbs) of fat - and yet the scales show I weigh just the same.

So don't be despondent. If you are logging faithfully and doing good exercise every day, then it might be that you are gaining lean muscle at about the same rate that you are losing fat - that's certainly what happened to me. So don't worry about the scales and go by the tape measure. If you are able to afford a set of scales that log fat% then this might be a useful addition to your box of health tools. But if not then definitely use a tape measure. Good luck on your journey.