thanks for the info!
  • bdotshaw
    bdotshaw Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Good stuff here.
  • blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    Options
    Any information on how this relates to the reported "Life Extending" benefits of an ultra low calorie diet?

those regimes typically have you at about 1800 cals/day. not 1200!

All "studies" on extending life have been done on animals. So it's difficult to draw direct comparisons. There was an earlier study completed that seemed to show low calorie would extend life. However, a new long term study just completed and showed no difference in life extension. Obviously, no one's saying quality of life is not a lot better as a healthier person. Just that eating low calorie for the pure goal of life extension is probably not a good idea, as the evidence is so far mixed (or, not a lot of evidence showing it extends life).

Recent article on it if anyone wants to read some of the details: http://www.nytimes.com/2012/08/30/science/low-calorie-diet-doesnt-prolong-life-study-of-monkeys-finds.html?_r=0
  • Qskim
    Qskim Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    Any information on how this relates to the reported "Life Extending" benefits of an ultra low calorie diet?

those regimes typically have you at about 1800 cals/day. not 1200!

All "studies" on extending life have been done on animals. So it's difficult to draw direct comparisons. There was an earlier study completed that seemed to show low calorie would extend life. However, a new long term study just completed and showed no difference in life extension. Obviously, no one's saying quality of life is not a lot better as a healthier person. Just that eating low calorie for the pure goal of life extension is probably not a good idea, as the evidence is so far mixed (or, not a lot of evidence
    showing it extends life).

Recent article on it if anyone wants to read some of the details: http://www.nytimes.com/2012/08/30/science/low-calorie-diet-doesnt-prolong-life-study-of-monkeys-finds.html?_r=0

I'll read this article later but was curious if the reason it is said to possibly increase life span is because eating low-cal forces you to make better food choices? I was interested in what another poster also said about NYT article how hungry people learned to love apples and I think this resonates for me. 1200 is a mental game of good food choices for me. If I go over but with good choices, I don't care.
  • Niekard
    Options
    Thank you for the intelligent post, it helped me a lot.
  • WhoIsAmber
    WhoIsAmber Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Oh, and I agree that the whole one or two days of eating well below your caloric target does not induce "starvation mode". Kinda silly.

Almost as silly as "muscle weighs more than fat". A pound of muscle and a pound of fat both weigh. . . .a pound!
    True, but... which one would you rather have?
    tumblr_ljfn7wcCKG1qd70e0o1_500.jpg
  • Telecide
    Telecide Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Interesting stuff! The post hit on something that always bothered me about the eating more to lose more fat idea that is so ubiquitous on boards like these. Yes, the body will down-regulate metabolism in response to calorie restriction, but never enough to offset the calorie restriction. So when someone complains they are gaining weight on a 1200 calorie diet, and the advice is to increase calories, it's like advising a person running out of gas to floor the accelerator.... sort of. The increase in calories may increase your metabolism, but that will be more than offset by the increase in calories.

On the other hand, a lot of people seem to buy this, and claim that increasing calories did put them back on track to fat loss. Enough that, although it's hard for me to understand how the arithmetic would work out, I wonder if it can be completely accounted for by the ubiquity of bro-science.

Usually when I hear someone complain they are eating at very low calorie levels and failing to lose weight or gaining, my first thought is either that they are miscalculating their calories or having water retention fluctuations.

Who knows. So far my weight loss is going by the numbers so I guess I can't complain too much. The thing I really like about mfp and getting quantitative on everything is that, for the most part, it has eliminated any surprises. Nothing more irritating than thinking you're doing all the right stuff and not seeing the results you want.
  • foleyshirley
    foleyshirley Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    Interesting stuff! The post hit on something that always bothered me about the eating more to lose more fat idea that is so ubiquitous on boards like these. Yes, the body will down-regulate metabolism in response to calorie restriction, but never enough to offset the calorie restriction. So when someone complains they are gaining weight on a 1200 calorie diet, and the advice is to increase calories, it's like advising a person running out of gas to floor the accelerator.... sort of. The increase in calories may increase your metabolism, but that will be more than offset by the increase in calories.

On the other hand, a lot of people seem to buy this, and claim that increasing calories did put them back on track to fat loss. Enough that, although it's hard for me to understand how the arithmetic would work out, I wonder if it can be completely accounted for by the ubiquity of bro-science.

Usually when I hear someone complain they are eating at very low calorie levels and failing to lose weight or gaining, my first thought is either that they are miscalculating their calories or having water retention fluctuations.

Who knows. So far my weight loss is going by the numbers so I guess I can't complain too much. The thing I really like about mfp and getting quantitative on everything is that, for the most part, it has eliminated any surprises. Nothing more irritating than thinking you're doing all the right stuff and not seeing the results you want.

When people tell others to eat more, they are not telling them to eat as much as they would like. That would clearly make no sense. They are telling them to do some research, determine their BMR and TDEE, and eat between those numbers. If you eat less than TDEE, you should lose.
  • Telecide
    Telecide Posts: 19 Member
    Options

When people tell others to eat more, they are not telling them to eat as much as they would like. That would clearly make no sense. They are telling them to do some research, determine their BMR and TDEE, and eat between those numbers. If you eat less than TDEE, you should lose.

I get that. I just don't understand how this advice can ever result in greater fat loss if the increase in metabolism is more than offset by the calories themselves.
  • bearwith
    bearwith Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    The big thing about starvation mode and calories is that when you are low on blood sugar it also affects your brain and how you feel. Most overweight people actually overeat when they feel low. So if you make your self feel low, you will actually crave more food than you would have done otherwise.
  • tammietifanie
    tammietifanie Posts: 1,496 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    lol-didn-t-read-o.gif

22158328.jpg
  • etoiles_argentees
    etoiles_argentees Posts: 2,827 Member
    Options
    It's a shame Keys only studied healthy young men, where are the studies on women? Nutrition does affect us differently, hormones and so on...
  • etoiles_argentees
    etoiles_argentees Posts: 2,827 Member
    Options
    Sorry not big on Mr. Keys as he blamed saturated fat on heart disease, messed up with his cholesterol myth, and so on.
  • DontStopB_Leakin
    DontStopB_Leakin Posts: 3,863 Member
    Options
    Zombie thread needs braaaiiiinnnnnzzz.
  • Vercell
    Vercell Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    WOW GREAT INFORMATION THANKS.:flowerforyou:
  • honkytonks85
    honkytonks85 Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    I loved your post and totally agree, people overuse starvation mode way too much. As someone who did 24 hour fasts twice a week for a year and saw results I can tell you metabolism never slowed and I did not 'hold onto fat'.
  • onyxgirl17
    onyxgirl17 Posts: 1,721 Member
    Options
    Zombie thread needs braaaiiiinnnnnzzz.

:bow:
  • mistakenidentity
    mistakenidentity Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Always love good info...thanks!
  • lilac_bunny
    lilac_bunny Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    My understanding of the starvation mode was not that it was to do with calorie intake but overall nutritional intake- ie your body goes in to so called starvation mode, holding on to fat and extracting more fat from foodstuffs when it is deficient in some nutrient or other rather than deficient in calories. I've not researched it but it may be the case that someone who increases calories sees a weight reduction because they have co-incidentally increased a particular nutrient in to the diet. For example, if dairy products have been prominent in the additional calories there will be an increase in calcium in the diet which (in combination with vit D) aids the body in metabolising fat.