healthy popcorn

Options
ashquin
ashquin Posts: 248 Member
does anyone have a healthy alternative to popping popcorn on the stove with out all the oil?

Replies

• purpadillo
    purpadillo Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I asked for a Presto microwave popper for Christmas. It's under $20 and you have the option of with or without oil. I've only used it a couple of times without oil and the popcorn has been great (I do add a bit of spray butter on it to get a bit of salt to stick).
  • lamurphy37
    Options
    I eat the weight watchers popcorn. It has only 110 calories. :smile:
  • VennesaZ
    VennesaZ Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I pop it in the air popper. Pour it in a paper bag and drizzle with melted coconut oil, add a little salt and some nutritional yeast. Close the bag and shake it up. Works in a bowl too, but not as well.
  • ChrisC_77
    ChrisC_77 Posts: 271 Member
    Options

2 cups of plain popcorn popped in oil has about 30. Most of the oil resides in the pan. A very low percentage is transferred to the popped kernel
  • fit4lifeUcan2
    fit4lifeUcan2 Posts: 1,458 Member
    Options
    I put my popcorn kernels in a brown paper bag... those lunch bag types.... then microwave for 3 to 5 minutes. I usually set my microwave for 5 minutes and take it out when I don't hear anymore popping going on. NO oil needed.

Usually 1/4 cup of kernels is enough.
  • fit4lifeUcan2
    fit4lifeUcan2 Posts: 1,458 Member
    Options
    For air-popped popcorn, you get 31 calories per cup. If you pop a 1/4 cup of kernels you would get around 8 cups popped which would be 248 calories.

http://www.fitday.com/webfit/nutrition/All_Foods/Snacks_and_Sweets/Popcorn_air_popped_no_butter_or_no_oil_added.html
  • ashquin
    Options
    good to know. i feel like the oil it pops in kills it

2 cups of plain popcorn popped in oil has about 30. Most of the oil resides in the pan. A very low percentage is transferred to the popped kernel
  • bearwith
    bearwith Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    Corn is quite fattening, they use it on farms to fatten chicks. You are better snacking on frozen berries or making yourself a low fat low cal savoury snack.
  • ckkres
    ckkres Posts: 2
    Options
    I do the same and spray some margarine on it and add small amt cheese sprinkling
  • BaileyP3
    BaileyP3 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I use an air popper then add 2 tablespoons of coconut oil...yummy treat w/a healthy oil :-))
  • bonita071
    bonita071 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    wise white cheddar popcorn
  • ashquin
    Options
    1 cup of oil popped pop corn is only 55 calories. so unless your eating a ridiculous amount of it, its actually a fairly healthy snack. if tons of butter and salt is not added

Corn is quite fattening, they use it on farms to fatten chicks. You are better snacking on frozen berries or making yourself a low fat low cal savoury snack.
  • firemanfive0
    firemanfive0 Posts: 228 Member
    Options

where as this is true...we are not chickens and popcorn is a 'low fat low cal savory snack"...
  • ashquin
    Options
    I love the air popper. i had one and it broke. i had a bag of kernels in the pantry. thats why i was inquiring about stove popping. :)

I use an air popper then add 2 tablespoons of coconut oil...yummy treat w/a healthy oil :-))
  • ashquin
    Options
    yup.

where as this is true...we are not chickens and popcorn is a 'low fat low cal savory snack"...
  • bdenitto
    bdenitto Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I use my air popper. I use a popping corn that is 120 calories for 3 tablespoons. I get about 4 cups of popped corn from that. I use a little olive oil mist and a little salt. Great source of fiber and I find it to be a filling snack.
  • jha1223
    jha1223 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I use the paper bag microwave method too. One TB of olive oil, 1/4 cup kernels and a few shakes of Mrs Dash Southwest Chipotle seasoning. Amazing popcorn and most of the oil stays in the paper bag.
  • BaileyP3
    BaileyP3 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I use the paper bag microwave method too. One TB of olive oil, 1/4 cup kernels and a few shakes of Mrs Dash Southwest Chipotle seasoning. Amazing popcorn and most of the oil stays in the paper bag.

I haven't Southwestern Chipotle...must look for that coz sounds yummy!
  • rockymtnlove
    Options
    just pop on the stove in coconut oil or smart balance. I can eat 4 cups for 300 cals
  • nogoldilocs
    nogoldilocs Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Ditto to putting plain kernels in a brown paper lunch bag and popping in the microwave. I didn't even know you could do that until I read it somewhere here on mfp. It totally works and no oil or special hot air popper is needed.