Starvation Mode

Options
2»

Replies

• CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    Stay your course. I don't believe in starvation mode. You eat less, you lose weight. Eating way less will help you live longer. Just make your calories nutritious ones.
    Best wishes.

this is incredibly dangerous and misguided in every possible way.

i hope i didn't overstate that.

No, its not. My husband had gastric bypass and has been eating very low calories for 7 years now. He lost all his extra weigh (150 pounds) and has kept it off. He has fabulous blood work and is very healthy.
    The truth is people can do with a lot less food. Just make them good calories.

and this is evidence that all people will live longer by massively restricting their calories? ridiculous.
  • arenadiva21
    Options
    Mine is about the same, if you don't want to eat that many calories that's fine just don't eat less than 1200. This is in response to your 2311 calorie post
  • yeah_im_that_girl_
    Options
    you're exactly right. Eating less than 1200 calories a day and encouraging this behavior is bad. there are many teen girls that are easily impressed on here.
  • BrandieBenoit
    BrandieBenoit Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I am 32. I work out at least 5 days a week. I have cut out cokes and am eating healthier. I guess I just need to eat more little meals a day and up my calorie intake. I am a picky eater which also makes it hard.
  • 12skipafew99100
    12skipafew99100 Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    Stay your course. I don't believe in starvation mode. You eat less, you lose weight. Eating way less will help you live longer. Just make your calories nutritious ones.
    Best wishes.

No, its not. My husband had gastric bypass and has been eating very low calories for 7 years now. He lost all his extra weigh (150 pounds) and has kept it off. He has fabulous blood work and is very healthy.

and this is evidence that all people will live longer by massively restricting their calories? ridiculous.

I have a right to my own opinion. She asked a question on a general public forum and I am answering.
    I do not think it is ridiculous, as you put it, to think someone who is over weight and decided to restrict calories until they got down to a healthy weight would not indeed live longer because of it. It is well documented that people who maintain a healthy weight do live longer. I'm sure the original poster would not want to restrict calories this low for the rest of her life.
  • CoachReddy
    Options

I have a right to my own opinion. She asked a question on a general public forum and I am answering.
    I do not think it is ridiculous, as you put it, to think someone who is over weight and decided to restrict calories until they got down to a healthy weight would not indeed live longer because of it. It is well documented that people who maintain a healthy weight do live longer. I'm sure the original poster would not want to restrict calories this low for the rest of her life.

however, your opinion is dangerous to young impressionable men and women who are willing to starve themselves for the sake of "beauty"

also, if you restrict calories for a long time, then stop, won't the weight all come back without understanding how to eat a healthy full calorie diet?
  • lee91356
    lee91356 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    I don't know much about starvation mode or whether or not you can loose weight on a low calorie diet but what I do know for sure is that a very low calorie diet, under 1,200 a day, it should be done with a doctor supervision. For example, although people with gastric surgery's loose weight by eating very little calories, they are under doctor supervision and for good reason. With low calories and too drastic of weight loss comes several health problems such as heart problems, gallblader, and kidney stones. Those with gastric surgery have to undergo blood tests often and get regular ekgs to make sure that their hearts and bodys are not in too much distress from the lack of nutrients and calories. Moreover, gastric patients and other on low calorie diets, who do it properly, have a nutritionist/ dietitian to make sure that they are eating the correct types of food and that they take the proper vitamins.

So although in theory it sounds easy to just eat a a few calories, the reality of doing it and being healthy is that it requires more work then just eating less. I would recommend just eating more calories than 1,000 and doing it smartly - salads, fruit, lean meat, whole grains and the like and feel free to add healthy fats such as nuts and avocado, and nutrient rich foods not empty calories.

Good luck
  • evdenapoli
    evdenapoli Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    1000 calories is not enough for a woman. You need at least 1200 cals/day and thats if you have a desk job. Also, you will end up being squishy and flabby. If you want to have a sustainable loss, you need to eat healthy and exersize. Feel free to add me if you want support. Good luck!
  • CoachReddy
    Options
    i think what it comes down to is people need to understand that calories are not bad. they're not the enemy. your body NEEDS calories and without them you'll die.

it's not about eating fewer calories. it's about eating an OPTIMUM amount of calories for your body size/type/weight/age. Do that, and you'll lose weight and get healthy at the same time.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    Best wishes.

No disrespect but your husband is an exception to the rule, he had a life altering surgery that forced him to intake a very low caloric intake and in most cases for the rest of his life, granted you can stretch your stomach back out. Not everyone on this site has had Bypass surgery and should not be eating according to those individuals eating plans. I (as an example) never wanted Bypass because in my mind if I could not fix what was broken that led me to 560 lbs. then any surgery would not work long term. So I seek out therapy for my addictions to food and have worked my butt of the last 42 months but the one standard was never (even at 560 lbs.) making to large of a caloric deficit. We set it at a 1-2 lb. a week weight loss goal and that is what I have adhered too. I eat 3000-3400 calories a day and take in upward of 300 grams of carbs and am also a type 2 diabetic. Restricting calories severely can cause metabolism issue over time which in my opinion is the way starvation mode is used loosely around these forums... OP 1000 calories is way to low, 1200 is to low in my opinion.. I would suggest eating more, set a reasonable calorie deficit, this is not a race, it is a lifestyle change.... Best of Luck
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,119 Member
    Options
    Best wishes.

No, its not. My husband had gastric bypass and has been eating very low calories for 7 years now. He lost all his extra weigh (150 pounds) and has kept it off. He has fabulous blood work and is very healthy. truth is people can do with a lot less food. Just make them good calories.

What you said in your second post and what you said in your third post are two very different things.

I agree with CoachReddy :wink:.

Lower calorie is one thing, and is all relative. Lower than the 3500 they are used to, or under 1000?...be more specific. And for someone who has 15 pounds to lose, or 250?

Gastric bypass patients have huge amounts of fat to live on - the OP is not that overweight. Gastric bypass patients are under the supervision of Bariatric Surgeons, doctors and dieticians to monitor their bloodwork.The OP doesn't even know how to eat 200 more a day....apples/oranges.

Starvation Mode as this site uses it is a little misleading, but you absolutely can do permanent damage to yourself by undereating for a period of time - so be careful what you are preaching here, there are a lot of young people who already have eating disorders on this site. Please don't help them kill themselves faster.Under 1000 a day is NOT okay on a regular basis for anyone who is not under a doctor's supervision for nutrition. 1200 is too low, in my opinion, for that matter.

...and I'm not worried that I'm overstating this.
  • CoachReddy
    Options

...and I'm not worried that I'm overstating this.

haha oh you've followed my exploits. i wasn't either. :wink:
  • CoachReddy
    Options
    Best wishes.

No disrespect but your husband is an exception to the rule, he had a life altering surgery that forced him to intake a very low caloric intake and in most cases for the rest of his life, granted you can stretch your stomach back out. Not everyone on this site has had Bypass surgery and should not be eating according to those individuals eating plans. I (as an example) never wanted Bypass because in my mind if I could not fix what was broken that led me to 560 lbs. then any surgery would not work long term. So I seek out therapy for my addictions to food and have worked my butt of the last 42 months but the one standard was never (even at 560 lbs.) making to large of a caloric deficit. We set it at a 1-2 lb. a week weight loss goal and that is what I have adhered too. I eat 3000-3400 calories a day and take in upward of 300 grams of carbs and am also a type 2 diabetic. Restricting calories severely can cause metabolism issue over time which in my opinion is the way starvation mode is used loosely around these forums... OP 1000 calories is way to low, 1200 is to low in my opinion.. I would suggest eating more, set a reasonable calorie deficit, this is not a race, it is a lifestyle change.... Best of Luck

wow man. that's some inspirational stuff. congratulations on all your progress! :)
  • sofiawantstolose
    sofiawantstolose Posts: 46 Member
    Options

however, your opinion is dangerous to young impressionable men and women who are willing to starve themselves for the sake of "beauty"

also, if you restrict calories for a long time, then stop, won't the weight all come back without understanding how to eat a healthy full calorie diet?

Actually, if you eat too few calories, your body will literally start eating itself. It takes energy from the muscles, and that could damage your heart, since It's a muscle too. When you go back to eating a normal amount of calories, you'll gain the weight back. Also, you won't lose any fat in starvation mode
  • 12skipafew99100
    12skipafew99100 Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options

I still disagree. But I didnt reply to you. She does not have that much weight to lose. I'm sure she will be just fine.
    Looking at your picture you seem to be just a bag of bones. Maybe you better eat some more. Best wishes to you too.. I will not be visiting this post again.
  • CoachReddy
    Options

I still disagree. But I didnt reply to you. She does not have that much weight to lose. I'm sure she will be just fine.
    Looking at your picture you seem to be just a bag of bones. Maybe you better eat some more. Best wishes to you too.. I will not be visiting this post again.

lolwut?
  • stonel94
    stonel94 Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    eating like this once in a while won't do anything bad, doing it long term will put your body in starvaton mode.

fatty foods aren't bad, it depends on the types of fat. Smoked salmon, nuts, full fat peanut butter, seeds, stuff like this has good fat, so you want your fat to be composed of this. You might look and be like oh my gosh 2 tablespoons of peanutbutter has 200 calories and 16 grams of fat certainly i can't eat that, but really, it's good for you, and the reduced fat version is much worse for you even though it has less fat and fewer calories. You need to be NET at at least 1200 calories for most people to not go into starvation mode over time. You should find your TDEE and eat about 20% under this but make sure you also NET (so you eat back enough exercise calories) to be above your BMR. So my bmr is a little over 1500, so if I had 1200 i would not be in a good place over time. I try to net at 1600 now.
    Don't fall back to "diet foods" they are low in calorie and fat but high in other things that are bad, and lose a lot of the nutrients that are good. So it should not be hard to eat 1000 calories, and you need to eat more than that, I have had issues netting at 1600 but I've found increase veggies and increase portions a little bit cause I eat healthy foods and I'm all good.
  • LavenderChamomile
    Options
    Your body needs a certain amount of calories just to function, so there is such a thing as too few calories.
    I'm no doctor, but I've never heard of a healthy 1,000 calorie diet. I couldn't even do 1200 without feeling hungry, and you exercise way more than I do.
    Don't be afraid to eat more, and go the extra mile to find healthy ways to reach your goal. Nuts are great, good fats and fairly high in calories. Grab a greek yogurt or find a healthy salad dressing.