So mad. Ready to give up, read me, and give advice!

Options

Replies

• ReinasWrath
    ReinasWrath Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    how much are you eating a day? How much water do you drink typically? It is likely water retention
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    Go by your inches and its impossible to gain 8 lbs in two days, unless you eat 7,000 calories.
    7,000 is only two pounds. You'd need 28,000 (above your TDEE) to gain 8 pounds of fat. I think we all agree it's not fat though.

I don't really understand the obsession people have with variations in water weight. Like "stop eating salt (even if you love it) because you will retain some water!" So what? It's water. It's not preventing you from getting healthy or from losing fat or from building muscle. It will come off without effort in addition to whatever other fat you're losing in the process, whether you see it on the scale in the next 5 minutes or next week. Unless you're in a contest tomorrow why does the water even matter?
  • calamity71
    calamity71 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I can sympathize. I can go out, not pay attention and then the scale is cruel to me. But I know this is a life long journey. You are going to have weekends through out your life...Now it is back to a healthy routine. By the way...when you eat out, you might have a small portion, but restaurant food is filled with fat and calories that we don't even realize. Oh....and a margarita.....or other specialty drink...yeah...Lots of calories in those wonderful little drinks. I know technically it takes 3500 hundred calories to put on a pound right? and you probably are saying no way did I over eat 3500 calories. I get that....been there, done that. The only thing I can tell you is not to focus on that scale. Get back to routine and your healthy eating lifestyle.
  • Robyn120
    Robyn120 Posts: 249
    Options
    I'm sure just an excess of salt and such but I hardly doubt you really gained 8lbs. Weigh in one week and I bet you will be down the 8lbs and more :)
  • jessicathomas15
    Options
    Have you had your thyroid checked?
    I was going through the same thing, went to the doctors and had my blood tested, underactive thyroid. It's the main symptom, unexplained weight gain and difficulty losing weight. It really lowers your metabolism. Might be worth getting checked?
    Hope things pick up :)
  • Gorger
    Gorger Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Have you checked out Cushing's disease?
  • Jennifer217B
    Options
    I would drop the diet soda completely. Definitely drink water and if you need some flavor use fresh lemon. How about drinking some tea? Don't give up!
  • saouttolunch
    Options
    To gain 8 actual pounds you would have to have eaten 28,000 calories. I suspect you are retaining water.
  • LucyBWL57
    Options
    I am not sure if it is true but I read somewhere that flying will temporarily cause weight gain.
  • RobynMWilson
    RobynMWilson Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    I did have some water, but not my 8 cups per day, I have diet soda and coffee mostly.

Lose the diet soda! I have a half one with dinner and THAT'S IT! I drink water the rest of the day.
  • Softrbreeze
    Softrbreeze Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Don't sweat it. There is 3500 calories in a pound, so I don't think you could possibly have eaten that much for it to be a legitimate weight gain. Then there is the fact that you are female, with all the hormonal crap that goes along with that. Drink lots of water and keep moving and following your regular diet plan. It WILL come off.
  • hendinerik
    hendinerik Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Don't make one scale reading the end all be all! Sounds like you are on a good path generally, but perfectionism is what can be the downfall of anyone! It's a PROCESS, right? I'll bet you are feeling better/healthier from your exercise and nutrition... sodium, time of day, if you have gone to the bathroom... all of these things can make the difference

calamity71 said it brilliantly "You are going to have weekends through out your life"

Don't give up! You can do this! And you deserve to enjoy the process. Good luck.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    maybe you need to take a break from exercising for a few days? 4-5 hours a day??

you're more than likely retaining water.

also if your losing inches and dropping sizes then i wouldnt worry about he scale so much
  • brenda4life
    brenda4life Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Just let it go. You enjoy time with the family. Now get back on track. It is a lifetime commitment, not a short term solution. Ups and downs are part of life. The only mistake you would make is to not get back on track when you are at home.
  • Rebirth08
    Rebirth08 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Bless your heart! I understand....All i can tell you is to not give up. Fat loss is SO important, but your body is benefiting in SO many other ways by the better choices that you are making. I had a moment earlier this week, and this lady how to bring me back to an imporant reality: our heart, lungs, and liver are much happier for the food/exercise choices. You are not doing it for nothing. Keep going...just, keep going...what benefit would stopping do you for you? Think about that one (smile)...
  • NCchar130
    NCchar130 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    Okay, for some reason I cannot seem to lose weight. I track all my food, eat a high protein diet and have been lowering carbs. I have been working out an hour 4-5 times a week. Doing 30DS, elliptical, biking or walking. I finally budged a couple pounds, I started at 245, then got to 225. I am 5'7. I used to be able to drop weight much easier before I had kids.
    Now, why I am SO upset...this past Thursday and Friday my mom and sister and I went out of town over night. I didn't eat perfect, but I didn't eat horrible, either...and we did LOTS of walking while we were gone. When I got home, I got on the scale, and have gained 8 pounds!!!!!! 8 pounds in TWO FRIGGIN' days?!? That doesn't even seem possible. Could it be from too much salt? I walked a ton while there, this doesn't seem possible. I was in tears last night over it. I feel like I am working mt a** off for nothing.
    Help me. Any advice???

Thanks!

Nooooo don't cry!! :flowerforyou: It can definitely be water weight. I weigh in daily and have gained as much as 7 pounds in one day after eating more than normal plus way more sodium. It was gone in 2 days.
  • orangeyellowkayak
    orangeyellowkayak Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I wish I could help you. I have same problem. I lost a lot of weight on low carb diets then it came back. I have tried to lose weight by going back on the low carb diets but it won't come back off. I went to the doctor and had mt thyroid checked but it is ok. I'm not giving up tho I don't want to live this way. I'm not going to do the low carb any more but I want to control how much I eat. I eat too much in the evening so I'm on line now so I stay out of the kitchen. I gave up last year and gained much too much weight. I just walked out of the kitchen and remembered that stop smoking com. on tv and started singing "I just want to celabrate."
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    EAting out always makes me go up. the sodium! Get back on track and it should come right back down
  • Rebirth08
    Rebirth08 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    yep and the 8 pounds can be water retention if you ate out, it could be salt. Also, I only weigh myself once a month. Those daily/weekly weigh ins are stressful..
  • Rays_Wife
    Rays_Wife Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    Do not give up.
    Another small change that makes big difference is not to eat your dinner late at night. Eat it so you have at least 3 hours before you go to bed.

bologna_zps006d7ba9.jpg