Vitamin D deficiency currently 16

Options

Replies

• lisadiane41
    Options
    yes, 1000 iu twice a day, until further notice......was low when checked....caused by gluten issues that just became apparent....although I have had symptoms for a long time....

maybe I will increase the vit D3....by looking at other responses....I guess maybe 1000 iu twice a day may not be enough...I am still very fatigued...just thought it was the gluten...still eating this way cause of the tests that still need to be done....when tested, after finding out I had a gluten issue, I was low in ALL fat sol vits, high in Calcium, low thyroid, (before the tests my DR didn't even want me taking vits at all...LOL) low in B vits, even tho my multi was 500% of min daily levels...LOL

thanks for all your ideas...
    gluten does not do that to you. I am on a gluten free diet because I am allergic to wheat. When I eat anything with wheat in it I get terrible stomach problems. I was actually tested for Celiac Disease. Which they have to do genetic testing for and it was neg. Gluten does not make you tired.
  • Bookers23
    Bookers23 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Low D is miserable! I was at an 8 a few years back in the northeast. D-3 is not the same as the high dose stuff, you need to build up to a level greater than 40 before the body starts to store it. I was on 50k/week to start and then was able to transition to OTC d3 once levels were sufficient. My only word of advice is to stay very well hydrated!! High dose D can lead to kidney stones, happened each time I had to supplement. Glad that since moving to Miami I have had perfect numbers. Good luck!
  • lisadiane41
    Options
    If anyone has Gluten issues there are many products that are Gluten free which are great especially Schar. Go on their website they have many receipts that are good. It is a whole way of living. If your hair and makeup products can effect you if you are gluten sensitive.
  • NaomiJFoster
    NaomiJFoster Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    My doctor tested my levels because my answer to her question about occassional joint stiffness at age 44 was 'yes sometimes'. Apparently D plays a role in joint function as well.

Yes, D is most effective from the sun. You need about 20 minutes of sunlight per day to get a good supply. That's direct sunlight with no sunscreen. Sunscreen completely blocks vitamin D from the body.

Personally, I'm in direct sunlight with no protection for about an hour a day from early November through late February. From March through October, I'm in heavy sunscreen and under a huge hat or umbrella IF I have to go outside in the heat at all. So I get only 4 months where I can tolerate the sun. It's just not enough.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Yes I am Vitamin D deficient I have been on 2000 i.u.D3 for 6 years now. I get blood work done every 4 months. I am learning that a lot of people have this. For some reason the doctors never explain why. I eat food with D in it, get plenty of sun but I still am Vitamin D deficient. SO go figure.

because our foods - even the ones with D in them - don't have as much as they used to due to all the processing that has gone on over the last 50 years.

and we don't live in a good area of the world to get D from the sun
    This is one of best explanations I have heard so far.

I'm having trouble understanding how "processing" has eliminated the vit D in the foods we eat, but I'm not necessarily arguing with the conclusion that our foods are lower in vit D. I just don't see how the explanation is the ever-popular "processing". Food choices, yes, I can see that...or perhaps growing practices or selective breeding...

I have an alternative concept. I also don't know about the food processing-vitamin D connection.

BUT

Magnesium is a necessary co-factor for proper vitamin D absorption- it helps convert vit-D to it's usable form. Our diets, due to a variety of factors including improper soil-nutrient rejuvenation has made our diets lower and lower in natural magnesium. Magnesium deficiency is often overlooked, and there's evidence that even supplementing HYOOGE doses of vit-D is ineffective in people with magnesium deficiency. People are generally recommended by apt practitioners to take D and magnesium together. So, I can see where the decline of magnesium in our diets could lead to increasing vit-D deficiency.
  • Bookers23
    Bookers23 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Yes to the magnesium, very true. Thanks for that reminder.
  • newdaydawning79
    newdaydawning79 Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    I'm 2000 IU/day but I'm REALLY bad at taking them. I have to make myself remember. :) I feel so much better when I take them!
  • NaomiJFoster
    Options
    You guys can actually feel a difference when you take it? I was in single digits, took the mega-dose for a month, and continue to take it daily. I've never noticed any change at all. What do you feel that you notice it's better?
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    Same here. Exposing your arms for about 10-15 mins in the Sun should result in like 10000 IU of VitD. And its not like I live in a cave or only come out at night, lol. My doc said over half the people she sees are deficient, its that common. Becoming problematic in infants and children too. It can affect a number of things in the body so its definitely worth the bloodwork to get checked out!
    I live in southern Wisconsin at almost 43 degrees north. This time of year I could lay outside butt nekked from sunup to sundown on a cloudless day and not make any vitamin D. (But I might make Google Maps if I did that.)

This winter I sat in a tanning bed for 3 minutes, on two separate occasions. It "felt like summer" and was quite energizing for the rest of the day.
  • AuntieMC
    AuntieMC Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    bump
  • G__Force
    G__Force Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    2000 iu daily. I live in Oregon lots of clouds and rain. I do good until March then I start getting really bothered by the lack of sun.:sad:
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    You guys can actually feel a difference when you take it? I was in single digits, took the mega-dose for a month, and continue to take it daily. I've never noticed any change at all. What do you feel that you notice it's better?

you're probably still deficient. if you were single digits, and the optimal level is above 60... you'd need to take a mega dose for a long time to get there.
  • shelbysp8
    shelbysp8 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I was low when they did blood work. I take 10000iu daily.
    I am a MS patient and research has shown that a lack in Vit D is directly related to MS - its symptoms and side effects.
    I can tell a difference in myself since I have been taking it and it has helped reduce the side effects that I have the day after my MS injection. I have to get my blood work every 6months to check my liver functions from my MS injection - the last time my levels were normal so it has helped.
  • NaomiJFoster
    Options

you're probably still deficient. if you were single digits, and the optimal level is above 60... you'd need to take a mega dose for a long time to get there.

I actually took it for 2 months, I messed that up. And since then, I've been taking 2000 a day. Plus a calcium/D supplement with 400 of D, and a mulitvitamin with 400 of D. Well, I'm due for bloodwork in April or May again, so we'll see if there was any change this year.
  • ohmelgosh79
    ohmelgosh79 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I'm on 50,000 ius until March (was tested last April and was extremely low).
  • operator646
    operator646 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I have been on the 50,000 once a week a few times over the last 3 years. It can get better, because now that i have been eating healthier and loosing I take 4000 every day.My labs are still on the low end for D and iron but way better than they had been.
  • jen_fitnhappy
    jen_fitnhappy Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    whether doctors agree or not, our levels SHOULD be anywhere from 60 to 80.

most of us are in the teens or 20s.

it's a WORLD of difference when you get those levels to where they should be.

^^ Yep! ^^ Although my D came back in the "normal range" at 30, since I've been supplementing with 5000 IU a day I've felt soooo much better (energy, mood, etc)! I can see why the optimal range really is at least 60.

And Naomi - I also agree with you! I live in sunny Florida and try to avoid the sun. I don't want to risk melanoma... and wrinkles!!
  • dorothytd
    dorothytd Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    Yes! It is epidemic. But supplements brought me back to normal. I take a D and calcium combo in addition to my multi.
  • strugglingbunny
    Options
    I am in the UK and was diagnosed with Vitamin D deficiency back in June last year. I was getting reccurrent shingles in my face and no one could work out why.

He prescribed a Vitamin D spray, 3000iu, per spray under the tongue, for immediate absorption into the bloodstream. This apparently is much more efficient than ingested Vitamin D supplements.

By November, my levels had gone from 6 to 78 ( the lower end of normal). It took a while to get up to an effective level, but I am pleased to say that the shingles has stopped, and I am feeling back to normal. I had been suffering from Roseacea/ Shingles for 6 years before starting this therapy.

They say that every cell in the body has Vitamin D receptors, so deficiency can have far reaching effects.
    This is the spray I am using : BetterYou DLux 3000 - Daily 3000iu Vitamin D Oral Spray - 15ml

Amazon sell it.

I have to carry on using this until the spring when my levels will be checked again.

I hope you find this information interesting!
  • Queen_JessieA
    Queen_JessieA Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    whether doctors agree or not, our levels SHOULD be anywhere from 60 to 80.

most of us are in the teens or 20s.

it's a WORLD of difference when you get those levels to where they should be.

^^ Yep! ^^ Although my D came back in the "normal range" at 30, since I've been supplementing with 5000 IU a day I've felt soooo much better (energy, mood, etc)! I can see why the optimal range really is at least 60.

And Naomi - I also agree with you! I live in sunny Florida and try to avoid the sun. I don't want to risk melanoma... and wrinkles!!

That is good to know. Mine came back in the low 20's and she had said that normal was 30. I had no clue it should be much higher than that!!