On Resolutionists

Options
When I first started checking out the MFP community last week, I came across a thread where a MFP member was complaining about all of the resolutionists taking up space in their favorite gym. I was surprised to see that most of the comments in response agreed with him, and called for the "soon to be quitters" to "get out of my gym."

I'm just going to throw this out there. What the hell?

THIS is the reason I was always afraid to go to the gym. During my more lethargic years, I WANTED to go starting in the New Year (when many gyms offered membership specials), but was too nervous to go because of numerous posts I would read on Facebook or Twitter by healthy, fit gym-going people calling for the "fatties" to "give it up already."

I've gone to the gym almost every day in the past few weeks, and I feel great. Newsflash: I'M NOT LEAVING. But I have to say that this type of sentiment is just poisonous, ESPECIALLY in a community like MFP! How many new members came in and began participating due to the New Year??? Many may fail, but others will succeed because this is finally their year and they want better for themselves.

I'm sorry that you can't use your very favorite elliptical machine every time you go to the gym, or that you have to wait five minutes for a swimming lane. People will trickle away soon enough. But don't harbor a resentment towards those working to make a healthier change in their lives; they can feel it. Going to a gym while unfit takes a lot of courage.

Replies

• suzieqcookie
    suzieqcookie Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    amen! it's the single biggest reason i will NEVER join another gym as long as i live.. gym snobs

sorry... holier than thou gym snobs
  • Leeann1979
    Leeann1979 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Agreed!! I was bothered reading it too!! Even if people don't stick with it, they had the initial intentions, and hopefully keep at it til they get it right. It took me about 34 times to quit smoking, but I stuck with it and did it.
    I find it funny because so many of these people are on this website because they too were lazy and made poor choices in the past. I find it very disturbing that some can be so ignorant and judgemental.
  • Agreed--and MFP locked that thread because it was so offensive.
  • mvdiz
    mvdiz Posts: 2
    Options
    It's all over my facebook, too. Maybe most of the "resolutioners" will quit, but some might stick it out. Why not support that?
  • tpfoodie
    tpfoodie Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    amen! it's the single biggest reason i will NEVER join another gym as long as i live.. gym snobs

sorry... holier than thou gym snobs

I feel the judgment when I walk into the gym, every single time. I use a university gym where most of the girls there only show up to pretend to work out and look cute in little clothing, and when I walk in wearing sweats I get looked up and down at least once a day! I'm there to lose weight, not show off... maybe that's the problem? Last week I sat down at a rowing machine next to a skinny minnie... she was rowing with poor form on the lowest setting. Yet she still snickered at me when I started rowing, correctly, on the highest setting, because I was moving more slowly than she was. I think I had a better burn in the end, though! ;)
    Agreed!! I was bothered reading it too!! Even if people don't stick with it, they had the initial intentions, and hopefully keep at it til they get it right. It took me about 34 times to quit smoking, but I stuck with it and did it.
    I find it funny because so many of these people are on this website because they too were lazy and made poor choices in the past. I find it very disturbing that some can be so ignorant and judgemental.

Exactly. Everyone has to start somewhere! Yes, overweight people can and do make fools of themselves at the gym (I fell off of an elliptical once). But you know what? They're lapping everyone else who is sitting at home on the couch. If they give themselves a chance to learn how everything works and adjust to the environment, they can start getting healthier and feeling better about themselves.
  • Articeluvsmemphis
    Articeluvsmemphis Posts: 1,987 Member
    Options
    Agree. However; I feel most the people who post these things in cyber space rarely say anything aloud in the gym setting unless they're with a group.

more people=stupider you get for some reason.

ignore and keep being awesome
  • fizzletto
    fizzletto Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    This is why I have never and will never join a gym. I've lost 34lbs by myself so far and I'm going running 3x a week and doing strength training at my house, by myself. I will get there without the help of a gym and I'll avoid those nasty mean people too.
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    We'll see if you feel the same way in a couple years. It an unnecessary and arbitrary disruption to your routine. It's like if all the sudden, your drive to work starts taking 30 minutes longer, and this happens every year at the same time for no real apparent reason. It's annoying and unnecessary. I'm the first to applaud new people. I love success stories. It's not about that at all. It's just that 98% or more will quit in Feb/Mar, so it's just a huge waste of everyone's time. As I said, we'll see how you feel in a few years.
  • c_faulkenburg
    c_faulkenburg Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    When I first started checking out the MFP community last week, I came across a thread where a MFP member was complaining about all of the resolutionists taking up space in their favorite gym. I was surprised to see that most of the comments in response agreed with him, and called for the "soon to be quitters" to "get out of my gym."

I'm just going to throw this out there. What the hell?

THIS is the reason I was always afraid to go to the gym. During my more lethargic years, I WANTED to go starting in the New Year (when many gyms offered membership specials), but was too nervous to go because of numerous posts I would read on Facebook or Twitter by healthy, fit gym-going people calling for the "fatties" to "give it up already."

I've gone to the gym almost every day in the past few weeks, and I feel great. Newsflash: I'M NOT LEAVING. But I have to say that this type of sentiment is just poisonous, ESPECIALLY in a community like MFP! How many new members came in and began participating due to the New Year??? Many may fail, but others will succeed because this is finally their year and they want better for themselves.

I'm sorry that you can't use your very favorite elliptical machine every time you go to the gym, or that you have to wait five minutes for a swimming lane. People will trickle away soon enough. But don't harbor a resentment towards those working to make a healthier change in their lives; they can feel it. Going to a gym while unfit takes a lot of courage.

Amen!
  • kwest_4_fitness
    kwest_4_fitness Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    So very true. Even if only one person sticks with it, that's one life that's changed for the better and one more healthy person in the world!
  • tpfoodie
    Options
    Agreed--and MFP locked that thread because it was so offensive.

Oh good! I didn't know it had been locked. Glad to see that MFP doesn't support that kind of mindset.
    It's all over my facebook, too. Maybe most of the "resolutioners" will quit, but some might stick it out. Why not support that?

Exactly! These are the same people that judge others who are unfit. So they're stupid if they are overweight, but they're also stupid if they take up space in the gym? How does that make any sense?
    Agree. However; I feel most the people who post these things in cyber space rarely say anything aloud in the gym setting unless they're with a group.

more people=stupider you get for some reason.

ignore and keep being awesome

While that's true, I've unfortunately always been very good at reading other people. That judgment hangs heavy in the gym, especially during this time of the year. It doesn't affect me very much, because I swim more often than not, but when I do machines or see other overweight people doing the same I can feel the tension.
  • Danni1585
    Danni1585 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Be there and proud. I am currently battling in my local swimming pool, getting looks of disgust from people who try to push me in the swimming lanes. Don't get me wrong, I am a strong swimmer, my tip is don't be intimidated. You paid your money, head high and shoulders back xx
  • lauradawson1123
    Options
    Yeah I remember one year I had been going to the gym since the previous August but since I was still overweight and it was January they thought I had just joined. It wasn't until January that I started getting dirty looks and I heard a few women talking behind me about how fat I was and how they just wanted me to give up. Ugg, to this day it still makes me both want to cry and punch them in the face. Resentfully I quit the gym and worked out at home after that. Now, years later, I dont give a flip and I'll sweat my fat *kitten* next to the skinnies.
  • GlassslippersAndFairyDust
    Options
    I thought the same thing when I read it. Seems that we as people have become so rude, unfeeling and down right mean that it's almost accepted as today's normal. Well, not for me. I was raised to have manners. I still say yes/no ma'am/sir, excuse me, please, thank you and I'm sorry. When a person pays his or her dues to a gym they have just as much right to occupy any space in it that anyone else does and I don't get the superior attitudes that I witnessed/read on here the other day. We all have to start somewhere and instead of putting people down for what others may perceive as possible failures, we should be lifting them up to their full potential.......just my 2 cents worth. :flowerforyou:
  • rizzaG
    rizzaG Posts: 110
    Options
    When people decide it's time to lose weight right away the option is to get a gym membership. Actuality is there are tons of at home exercises out there available to everyone for FREE. I can do all of my workouts in the comfort of my own house and have successfully lost 20lbs. If the intention of going to the gym is to get motivated well if they think they're getting judged by the people at the gym or for any reason feels uncomfortable then surely that defeats the purpose of going there in the first place.
  • tpfoodie
    Options
    This is why I have never and will never join a gym. I've lost 34lbs by myself so far and I'm going running 3x a week and doing strength training at my house, by myself. I will get there without the help of a gym and I'll avoid those nasty mean people too.

I'm so glad to hear about your success! I just think that it's so sad that these types of people keep others who WANT to be healthy away from a really useful resource. Keep up the wonderful work! :)
    We'll see if you feel the same way in a couple years. It an unnecessary and arbitrary disruption to your routine. It's like if all the sudden, your drive to work starts taking 30 minutes longer, and this happens every year at the same time for no real apparent reason. It's annoying and unnecessary. I'm the first to applaud new people. I love success stories. It's not about that at all. It's just that 98% or more will quit in Feb/Mar, so it's just a huge waste of everyone's time. As I said, we'll see how you feel in a few years.

Frankly, I don't care how I'm going to feel about anything. Because for all of the Resolutionists that join and then quit, there are a few who make a commitment. And I'm not about to let those people know that they are unwelcome in MY gym. If your routine takes a little longer, make more time for it. Traffic in my city does fluctuate by about a half hour each time I drive it, so I get up a little earlier in the morning. And just because people leave the gym in February doesn't make it a "waste" of anything other than calories. They may not be long term members, but for a while they got in there and worked out and tried to be healthier. That should matter more than a little disruption to your routine.
    So very true. Even if only one person sticks with it, that's one life that's changed for the better and one more healthy person in the world!

^This! :)
  • tpfoodie
    Options
    When people decide it's time to lose weight right away the option is to get a gym membership. Actuality is there are tons of at home exercises out there available to everyone for FREE. I can do all of my workouts in the comfort of my own house and have successfully lost 20lbs. If the intention of going to the gym is to get motivated well if they think they're getting judged by the people at the gym or for any reason feels uncomfortable then surely that defeats the purpose of going there in the first place.

The point of this isn't to say that a gym is the only place where people can lose weight. I just think it is ridiculous that people who choose to try and begin an exercise regiment at a gym are judged by regulars.
  • dorothytd
    dorothytd Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    I don't go to the gym, but take/teach fitness classes. So I love this time of year with lots of new people working to get healthier! My challenge is to make them want to keep going, keep it interesting and tough, yet "doable" enough so they don't give up. Even when I'm taking the classes, helping someone or encouraging them can go a long way to get them to come back.

That being said, I can understand the frustration for those who are used to a routine that gets interrupted. I'm a little OCD with my routine, which involves certain exercise certain days of the week. So now when it gets interrupted, I started trying to think of ways to change it up, that will still be effective. I'm always a work in progress.

Happy New Year to newbies and oldies, all.
  • girlschmoopie
    girlschmoopie Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Those of you who say you will never join a gym, I would encourage to seek out a fitness community center.

I belong to the local JCC (Jewish Community Center) and the atmosphere is not at all like what I see described here. (I'm not Jewish, and you don't have to be to join a JCC.) this gym has people of all ages, sizes and levels of training. Great classes like spinning, Zumba, Yoga (Hatha & Vinyasa), Tai Chi, Body Pump, CXWorx, etc. plus a great cardio machine room with brand new treadmills, Expresso bikes, ellipticals, AMT's, row machines, and then there is the whole weight lifting room with the machines and free weights, the racket ball room, the gym for basketball, the POOL for swimming laps (and a whole host of classes for those who like water aerobics).

The best thing is that everyone is friendly and encouraging, and patient with newcomers. Yes, there are Resolutionists in the beginning of the year, but I've never seen anyone less than encouraging and helpful to them. Yes, some dwindle off, but not all. We have a lot who become regulars as they find the exercises they enjoy the most and the schedule that works best for them. So just remember, not all gyms are the same. Some are truly a COMMUNITY, which is even more helpful in weight loss pursuits.

(My ONLY gym complaint, is not about Resolutionists, but about anyone wearing strong perfume or cologne that gets on the treadmill next me, as it becomes incredibly hard to breathe while working out. Fortunately, that only happens once or twice a year... So if you are new to a gym, be aware of synthetic scents, and how they effect others.)

Best of luck!
  • dorothytd
    dorothytd Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    ^^You're schmoopie! Sorry, couldn't resist a Seinfeld quote! Great idea