Post your favorite sweet potato/yam recipes!!!!!!!!!!!

Options
WeekndOVOXO
WeekndOVOXO Posts: 779 Member
Needing sweet potato/yam recipes please and thanks!

Replies

• fludderbye
    fludderbye Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    my 2 favs are

1- just bake and eat with a lil butter/margerine
    2- if canned- drain, mash & mix in crushed pinapple with juice & bake
  • katy84o
    katy84o Posts: 744 Member
    Options
    I love to do sweet potato fries. My normal recipe goes:

1 sweet potato cut into strips, tossed in a light drizzle of olive oil, a tsp or two of chili powder, 1 tsp crushed rosemary sprigs, pinch or two of garlic powder or fresh garlic. . Salt and pepper to taste.

Lay in a single layer on a cookie sheet. Bake in the oven at 375 for 20 minutes, flip and cook for another 10-15 minutes.
  • dogladytwo
    dogladytwo Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I love to do sweet potato fries. My normal recipe goes:

1 sweet potato cut into strips, tossed in a light drizzle of olive oil, a tsp or two of chili powder, 1 tsp crushed rosemary sprigs, pinch or two of garlic powder or fresh garlic. . Salt and pepper to taste.

Lay in a single layer on a cookie sheet. Bake in the oven at 375 for 20 minutes, flip and cook for another 10-15 minutes.

sounds delicious! I am trying this one soon, thanks!
  • gamagem
    gamagem Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    My family loves this recipe. We probably eat it at least once a week. I plugged it into MFP and it came to 196 calories a serving, and this recipe makes about 4 servings.
    Ingredients

2 large sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
    3 tablespoons olive oil
    2 teaspoons packed brown sugar
    1 1/2 tablespoons paprika
    1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
    1/2 teaspoon onion powder
    1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
    1/2 teaspoon poultry seasoning
    1/2 teaspoon chili powder
    1 pinch cayenne pepper
    Directions

Preheat an oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C).
    Place the sweet potato chunks into a large mixing bowl. Drizzle with the olive oil, then sprinkle the brown sugar, paprika, black pepper, onion powder, garlic powder, poultry seasoning, chili powder, and cayenne pepper overtop. Toss until the potatoes are evenly coated with the seasoning. Spread onto a baking sheet.
    Bake in the preheated oven for 15 minutes, then turn the potatoes over with a spatula, and continue baking until the sweet potatoes are golden and tender, 10 to 15 minutes more.

*I mix all the seasonings together (make a big batch to save for another meal). I put the potatoes in a zip lock bag, put the olive oil in, seal the bag and toss them around to get them coated then put a couple of tablespoons of the seasoning mix in then toss them around to coat. If you have leftovers of them, refrigerate, they taste good cold!
  • bikinisuited
    bikinisuited Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    Sweet Potato Pudding:
    1 medium sweet potato
    1/4 cup Greek yogurt
    Cinnamon
    Cayenne Lots of protein and great filling snack!
  • louisvillejg
    louisvillejg Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Sweet Potato Pudding:
    1 medium sweet potato
    1/4 cup Greek yogurt
    Cinnamon
    Cayenne Lots of protein and great filling snack!

This sounds great! Plain yogurt or have you tried it w/flavored?
  • Pixie8504
    Pixie8504 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Serve then with some cooked apples. Top with some cinnamon.
  • LisaAvasNana
    LisaAvasNana Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    bump
  • em_c_r
    em_c_r Posts: 23
    Options
    white sweet potatoes are awesome as hash browns.
  • sunnyside1213
    sunnyside1213 Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    bump. Love sweet potatoes.
  • FitbeTMF
    FitbeTMF Posts: 251
    Options
    Baked with cinnamon
  • AggieLu
    AggieLu Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    Cut your sweet potato into fries. Place on a baking sheet, toss with a little olive oil, salt and pepper, bake @ 375F until done. Place under broiler for a little crunch if you'd like. In the meantime, combine 1/4-1/2 (more or less depending on how many potatoes you're making and how much dip you want) mayo or plain Greek yogurt with 1 garlic clove finely minced and 1-2 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice (let your dip sit for a bit for the flavors to blend.) When your fries are done, sprinkle them with julianned fresh basil and fresh mint. Enjoy with your dip. :)

This is the only way (so far) I will eat and truly enjoy sweet potatoes. Otherwise, I'm not a fan.
  • LisaAvasNana
    LisaAvasNana Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I found this recipe on the HG site. Tastes exactly like Sweet Potato Pie you have for Thanksgiving.

By substituting butternut squash for sweet potatoes and using some key light ingredients, you can save over 200 calories and nearly 17 grams of fat per serving.

Ingredients:

1 large butternut squash (large enough to yield 2 cups mashed flesh)

1/2 cup Egg Beaters Original

1/3 cup light vanilla soymilk

1/3 cup sugar-free maple syrup

1 tsp. cinnamon

1/4 cup SPLENDA; Granular

1 tsp. vanilla extract

2/3 cup miniature marshmallows

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Peel squash and cut into large chunks (removing seeds). Fill a large, microwave-safe dish with a half an inch of water. Place squash into dish and cover with plastic wrap. Microwave for approximately 8 minutes (and drain). Squash should be tender enough to mash, but not fully cooked. With a potato masher, food processor or fork, mash squash. Measure out 2 generous cups, lightly packed, and place in an oven-safe baking dish. Add all ingredients except for marshmallows. Mix ingredients thoroughly, but do not over-stir; squash should still be pulpy. Allow to cook for 45 - 50 minutes. Remove from oven, and disperse marshmallows over top of pie. Return to oven for 5 minutes, until marshmallows begin to brown. Allow to cool. Serves 4.

Serving Size: 1/4 recipe; approx. 2/3 cup

Calories: 110

Fat: <0.5g

Sodium: 115mg

Carbs: 25g

Fiber: 1.5g

Sugars: 7.5g

Protein: 5g
  • ktully93
    ktully93 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • DiannaMoorer
    DiannaMoorer Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    My family loves this recipe. We probably eat it at least once a week. I plugged it into MFP and it came to 196 calories a serving, and this recipe makes about 4 servings.
    Ingredients

2 large sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
    3 tablespoons olive oil
    2 teaspoons packed brown sugar
    1 1/2 tablespoons paprika
    1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
    1/2 teaspoon onion powder
    1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
    1/2 teaspoon poultry seasoning
    1/2 teaspoon chili powder
    1 pinch cayenne pepper
    Directions

Preheat an oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C).
    Place the sweet potato chunks into a large mixing bowl. Drizzle with the olive oil, then sprinkle the brown sugar, paprika, black pepper, onion powder, garlic powder, poultry seasoning, chili powder, and cayenne pepper overtop. Toss until the potatoes are evenly coated with the seasoning. Spread onto a baking sheet.
    Bake in the preheated oven for 15 minutes, then turn the potatoes over with a spatula, and continue baking until the sweet potatoes are golden and tender, 10 to 15 minutes more.

*I mix all the seasonings together (make a big batch to save for another meal). I put the potatoes in a zip lock bag, put the olive oil in, seal the bag and toss them around to get them coated then put a couple of tablespoons of the seasoning mix in then toss them around to coat. If you have leftovers of them, refrigerate, they taste good cold!

I made this last night and it is fantastic!!!!!!
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    I made this last night on accident.

Boil sweet potato. Mash. Pour in coconut milk. Stir.

I couldn't decide if it was part of dinner, or a tasty snack. It might be really good with some cinnamon or something. But, either way, it's yum.
  • 2pupsmama
    Options
    bump
  • fionadasein
    fionadasein Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    cubed sweet potato, butternut squash and tin of chickpeas in slow cooker with tomato puree and low fat yoghurt
    diced onion & garlic
    spices to taste (i use garam masala, nutmeg, chili, turmeric, black pepper, curry)

*kitten* delicious! :P
  • trishtrish1
    trishtrish1 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    2 simple recipes.

1 - just plain baked - no toppings - after it comes out of the oven - mash with a fork. Eat. No toppings, nada. I usually make a couple and I can freeze them after I have mashed it. Thaws and reheats beautifully.

2 - cut into fries, put into a ziplock bag, put 1 tablespoon of canola oil (makes them crispy), shake (allows you to use less canola oil) dump onto baking sheet, bake until crispy, add some salt.

:) Enjoy!

Trish
  • nogoldilocs
    nogoldilocs Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    From Eatingwell.com

Maple-Roasted Sweet Potatoes
    2 1/2 pounds sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces (about 8 cups)
    1/3 cup pure maple syrup
    2 tablespoons butter, melted (or olive oil)
    1 tablespoon lemon juice
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    Freshly ground pepper, to taste

1.Preheat oven to 400°F.
    2.Arrange sweet potatoes in an even layer in a 9-by-13-inch glass baking dish. Combine maple syrup, butter (or olive oil), lemon juice, salt and pepper in small bowl. Pour the mixture over the sweet potatoes; toss to coat.
    3.Cover and bake the sweet potatoes for 15 minutes. Uncover, stir and cook, stirring every 15 minutes, until tender and starting to brown, 45 to 50 minutes more.

I've made this with butternut squash as well, both are equally good. I also usually add nutmeg to any sweet potato dish I make. Nutmeg rocks!