While exercising hearing breathing in my ears

Options
I've had it a couple of times now: at one point when I'm working out (lately that's only weight-lifiting) I hear a lot less than normal. Today I even heard my own breathing from inside (so not the breathing you hear as you should)
The noise around me gets a lot less at those times, it's like my ears don't work as they should.

Has anyone else this problem as well/does anybody know what causes this?

Replies

• successgal1
    successgal1 Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    Ear wax. Go buy a cleaning kit at the drug store.
  • NRBreit
    NRBreit Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    My ears clog when I'm training hard and lifting heavy. It goes away within the hour after the workout.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    You're probably clenching your jaw. Try it. Clench your teeth together really tightly and then breath. You'll hear it way more through your ears because the clenching action opens up the tubes in your ears.
  • MysticRealm
    MysticRealm Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    I sometimes get this, but it's the feeling of when your ears are gonna pop, generally caused by moving my ear buds around and causing a seal to form or something. I just move my ear buds around some more or just ignore it till my ear buds move a bit on their own.
  • amann1976
    amann1976 Posts: 742 Member
    Options
    those are the zombies they are coming for you... you better run quicker or they will eat you
  • J_Miller2007
    J_Miller2007 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I have always had this occur occasionally with my ears. I went to the doctor about it a long time ago (in my early teens) and she didn't seem worried about it at all. It can be quite annoying but it never lasts too long, and it definitely occurs more when I exercise. If I breathe through my mouth during an episode of this strange event it seems to help.
  • eeweiss
    eeweiss Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    It's called Patulous Eustachian Tubes. I get it too!
    Here's a post about it: http://www.livelifeactive.com/2014/10/23/patulous-eustachian-tube/
  • deluxmary2000
    deluxmary2000 Posts: 981 Member
    Options
    eeweiss wrote: »
    It's called Patulous Eustachian Tubes. I get it too!
    Here's a post about it: http://www.livelifeactive.com/2014/10/23/patulous-eustachian-tube/

Cool - thanks for this! I popped into this thread because the same thing happens to me and I always wondered what it was.