Can people with diet knowledge look at my food log?

Options
Hi! I posted a question last week in general about what to do when hungry all of the time and I got alot of great responses, but I realized my food log was private. I now opened my food log to the public. I just planned my meals for the week and I'm wondering if anyone would be able to take a look at it and see if they think it is a good plan. I am 5'4 and 171 lbs right now. I put in that I am moderately active and set for losing 1 lb per week. I've decided to eat most of my workout calories back as I get hungry if I don't. Thanks!!!:happy:

Replies

• NyimaR
    NyimaR Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Looks pretty good to me.
  • Luv108
    Luv108 Posts: 18
    Options
    Thanks so much for looking! It is nice to have feedback :)
  • hughtwalker
    hughtwalker Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    I am a bit worried about this stuff you are drinking instead of milk - why do they add corn syrup?
    I use skimmed milk.
    I have given up bread - except for occasional Saturday lunchtime treat - because it falls into the same class as the Chinese meal cliche - i.e. for all those calories after half an hour I want another, so I pig out on green stuff (e.g celery) instead .

My diary is open if you want a look. The brands are different because I am in Great Britain.
  • klymt918
    klymt918 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Hey, so I am not an expert or a nutritionist, but I do have a vast amount of knowledge in regards to nutrition and healthy eating. From looking at your food diary, you are doing a great job. If I were to give you any advice I would tell you to decrease the calorie consumption at your noon and evening meal. Think of your snack as mini meals, so instead of only consuming between 100-150 calories during your snack time, try to consume between 250-300 hundred. Ideally you should eat 5-6 "meals" a day that are each between 250-300 calories. These meals should be 2-3 hours apart. Start eating around 7 in the morning, don't eat past 7 in the eveing. Also, try to make sure you have between 1-2 servings of fruit or veggies at every "meal" as well as one serving of protein, this doesn't always workout, but it is something to strive for. Hope this helps, keep up the good work!
  • kimosabe1
    kimosabe1 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    private profile-can't look.......
  • changejen2013
    Options
    private profile-can't look.......

Diary is open though.
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    Hey, so I am not an expert or a nutritionist, but I do have a vast amount of knowledge in regards to nutrition and healthy eating. From looking at your food diary, you are doing a great job. If I were to give you any advice I would tell you to decrease the calorie consumption at your noon and evening meal. Think of your snack as mini meals, so instead of only consuming between 100-150 calories during your snack time, try to consume between 250-300 hundred. Ideally you should eat 5-6 "meals" a day that are each between 250-300 calories. These meals should be 2-3 hours apart. Start eating around 7 in the morning, don't eat past 7 in the eveing. Also, try to make sure you have between 1-2 servings of fruit or veggies at every "meal" as well as one serving of protein, this doesn't always workout, but it is something to strive for. Hope this helps, keep up the good work!

Lots of evidence to prove it doesn't matter when you eat, just your over all calories. Eat when it works for you and you need it. Also doesn't matter what time you stop or start eating. I never have worried about that and have done well. I know I snack late at night so keep calories for that.

In my opinion the carbs are running high... Could get away with a little more protein. See how your weight loss goes.. If it's slow then drop some carbs and add some more protein.

It's all about seeing what works for you. Lots of trial and error! I do 120g protein and 120g carbs. Find it keeps me full and satisfied and is good for my weight loss.

Stick to your plan and see how it goes... Adjust if necessary on the number. X
  • purplegoboom
    purplegoboom Posts: 400 Member
    Options

A calorie is a calorie is a calorie. It doesn't matter if you eat three 500 calorie meals a day or six 250 calorie meals a day, it's a myth that you NEED to eat five to six times a day for weight loss.

The same for eating after a certain time of night. You're not a mogwai.
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    Hi! I posted a question last week in general about what to do when hungry all of the time and I got alot of great responses, but I realized my food log was private. I now opened my food log to the public. I just planned my meals for the week and I'm wondering if anyone would be able to take a look at it and see if they think it is a good plan. I am 5'4 and 171 lbs right now. I put in that I am moderately active and set for losing 1 lb per week. I've decided to eat most of my workout calories back as I get hungry if I don't. Thanks!!!:happy:

You are going to get different comments and opinions based on our own "expertise." If you want a knowledgeable recommendation, a nutritionist would be more qualified.

From my point of view, your protein intake is too low and your carbs are too high, and I would also recommend that you eat more fruits and track your sodium. But this is my personal opinion because I keep my carbs around or less than 150 and my protein above 100/day, and some other folks may not agree with it. Just do what feels better for you and what gives you results. Sometimes we need to play around within the calories and macros to get the results that you want.
    I wish you the best.
  • xxnellie146xx
    xxnellie146xx Posts: 996 Member
    Options

It doesn't matter the amount of calories she has for snack or the time she eats.

I went back to 1/4 and you have done a great job adding me vegetables to your day. You could aim to get more protein in. MFP protein is more a minimum than a goal number. It also might be beneficial to start tracking your water intake.
  • denezy
    denezy Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    Just a personal tip: if you find yourself hungry, I'd suggest increasing your protein. It looks like you are using the detault macro settings that MFP gives you, but I found I was starving all the time when I ate like that.

I changed my carb/protein/fat breakdown to 40/30/30 and immediately felt a billion times better, and never hungry. While I don't always get to my goals, I certainly do much better than before.

Just a suggestion, everyone is different. :)
  • JESSJESJ
    JESSJESJ Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I'd second what denezy said. I've found i've been most sucessful when I eat more protein / fat than carbs. I seem to feel better when eating about 100 grams of carbs a day. but try and keep them 100-150 a day. I'm not always sucessful at that, but it seems to work better for me.
  • JingleMuffin
    JingleMuffin Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    you have a lot of soy going on there and are frequently over on protein. i would tweak your choices, swap your soy milk for almond milk and your whey protein powder for hemp protein powder - you can get both at trader joes. try it out and see how it works for you. im not a big fan of the zone bars myself. too much junk in them. i try to eat whole foods as often as possible from the garden not the lab. its working for me. good luck to you ya my lady.
  • wendyapple
    wendyapple Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    you'll probably get a lot of different answers, hopefully all of which will be good. being a person who finds myself hungry pretty frequently, and surprisingly quickly after meals, i have started adding much more healthy fat into my diet. avocado, hard boiled eggs, nuts, nut butters, and seeds. i'll aim for nearly 50% fats at lunchtime, then spread the rest of the fat cals out between lunch, dinner, and snacks. i've found that if i make the bulk of my lunch calories from fat, it holds me over to dinner really well.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,119 Member
    Options

No....to all of this except having vegetables or fruit, and protein at every meal....also, some fats are important.
  • Bobtheangrytomato
    Bobtheangrytomato Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to lower my fat intake rather than lower carbs as I try to exercise as much as I can. "Recommended" values for protein are anywhere from 10%-30% of your total calorie intake, or about 0.9 times your weight in kg, slightly more if you are trying to build a lot of muscle, but if you are exercising, carbs are the easiest and most efficient fuel (complex is obviously better than sugar). Fat should be between 20-35% of calories.

http://www.health.gov/dietaryguidelines/dga2010/DietaryGuidelines2010.pdf
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    you have a lot of soy going on there and are frequently over on protein. i would tweak your choices, swap your soy milk for almond milk and your whey protein powder for hemp protein powder - you can get both at trader joes. try it out and see how it works for you. im not a big fan of the zone bars myself. too much junk in them. i try to eat whole foods as often as possible from the garden not the lab. its working for me. good luck to you ya my lady.

Going over your protein is not a big deal. In fact, I wonder if the OP has set their macros up to fit their body or not. Whey protein is fine. And I don't see what the big deal with soy is. It's okay. There are nations that have been eating the stuff for centuries.

Basically, OP - stick with what works for YOU. if soy products, whey protein, bread, and the occasional junk is getting you along on your weight loss goals - then okay. You don't have to deprive yourself of anything that you've been okay with. There is no absolute RIGHT way to get fit and healthy.

For more information about fitness and nutrition, I highly suggest checking out and joining this group:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/10118-eat-train-progress

Read all the stickies. It's great information to know.

For info about your macros (proteins/fats/carbs) - check out this link. It will give you the formula to figure out your #s and also how to custom change them in MFP:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819055-setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets
  • RebelRenny
    RebelRenny Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    My suggestion is to track fiber intake as well. And get your fiber from fresh fruits and vegetables. And avoid processed foods. You will want to eat nutrient rich foods for the calories you are consuming.

Good luck on your healthy lifestyle journey.

Renny
  • JingleMuffin
    JingleMuffin Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    all well and good but extra protein if your body cant use it just gets pooped right out. its a waste of money. since we all know protein is the most expensive form of food. either way. over abundance of soy as a filler in most of our food supply can mess with the endocrine and hormone system. that over abundance in every thing else we eat (because manufactures load our food (and feed the animals we eat) with soy and corn because its cheap) means there's a ton of isoflavones in our bodies with out us even choosing soy products to eat, like tofu, and soy milk. and what have you. that's just my own personal reason that i don't eat soy daily. i eat it as a treat. we already have too much of it with out even knowing it.
    - nutritionist.
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    I would watch carbs closer.. seems high to me?? And also track salt and fiber..
    Also.. i don't understand the point of all the half and half?

I would suggest more whole fruits and veggies and less processed foods.. although I'll admit to not knowing what some of the items on your diary are.