advise for big girl looking to run

Options
13»

Replies

• pamperedbecky
    pamperedbecky Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I did C25K back in August when I wanted to attempt my first 5K. I am NOT a runner. I don't enjoy it AT ALL. I do have to force myself to work out. I liked the beginning of C25K and kept pretty on track with their schedule and the timing of walk/run. About 1/2 way through it, I just couldn't jog as long as it told me to. I didn't stress too much about it. But, then I discovered the Runkeeper app and would use both that and the C25K app at the same time. I liked the Runkeeper one better. I mostly liked seeing my route at the end (that used GPS to track my route). That was probably the biggest motivator to me!! I was bummed when I'd have to run on a treadmill because I couldn't see my cool little route.

So, I did my 5K in October (notice I didn't say "ran" the 5K - lol) and was pretty pleased with it being my first one. I beat my goal time by 4 minutes and I hope to do more. HOwever, I then fell off the conditioning wagon and got very busy with work/life and stopped doing my "runs." That killed my stamina and now I'm trying to get back on track so I can do another 5K in the spring.

That's why I'm looking into a FitBit or BodyMedia so I can be better at tracking calories burned instead of relying on the database on here. I'm getting back into tracking my food on MFP.

Good luck!!! I will never consider myself a runner and I doubt I"ll ever be able to run a whole 5K, but I know I'm pushing myself to do more and more and that's the most important part.
  • shutterbug5100
    shutterbug5100 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I myself am a big girl who started running two years ago. I didn't know what i was doing and ended up getting injured after training for my first 5k. Last September I started off with the C25k program and followed it to a tee. It does work, I promise. You just have to stick with it. The intervals are great and if you have to repeat week 1 a few times, then so be it. Set a goal and stick with it.

I started training again - as my new year's resolution is to run a 10k in 2013. I am starting with the c25k program again as I signed up for a 5k in March and an 8k in April.

Here is my training schedule:
    Mon - Yoga
    Tues - Run 30 min
    Wed - Bike 45 min
    Thur - Run 30 min
    Friday - Off
    Sat - Bike 45 min
    Sun - Run 30 min
  • mamacita721
    mamacita721 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    C25K. Try again. I did it twice. The mistake that I made the first time was not having a 5K race scheduled at the end. I finished on 12/15/2011 and ran my first 5K on 12/17/2011. I have done more than a dozen races since then, 5K, 10K and 2 half marys.

Good luck and if this is what you really want to do, do not give up!
  • megd726
    megd726 Posts: 31
    Options
    Good for you for seeking out advice!

I am a runner and I once hated it and now I absolutely love it (training for my 3rd and 4th half marathon now)! Starting off slow is definitely very important. I do have to disagree with one thing a few people have implied/mentioned - you do not have to eliminate intervals. Interval training is an awesome workout. Running and walking actually use different muscles and by performing at an interval, you are alternating rest and working. You are also less prone to injury. C25K programs are very beneficial - that's how I started off. Modify it to what works for you. Initially, when running outside, I had a cheap watch with a timer from Target. They also have slightly more expensive watches which you can set to beep at whatever interval you want (ie. 2 minutes/1 minute). I can't stress enough how much interval training works. I have run both of my half marathons at an interval and I had a faster time than other members of the training team I was on who ran the whole thing.

Try and only focus on one thing at a time - speed or distance. Working on both can be too much and it's more overwhelming. If you want to work on distance first, try that out. Once you are comfortable at whatever distance you choose, then you can work on speed. Or vice versa.

The general rule of thumb is to increase your weekly mileage by no more than 10% each week. If you run/walk 10 miles this week, next week do not do more than 11 miles. Anything more and you could be risking injury.

I would look around your area for local running stores. In my area, we have a couple of local running stores that have formal training programs for people looking to get into running. Having the other people around you can be a huge motivator.

Hope this helps! I'm always happy to give out running advice! If you would like any other tips, feel free to add or message me!
  • markpom
    markpom Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Be careful, it is easy to get injured running when you are overweight. Shin splints, pulled muscles, etc. It is better to start slow. I worked my way up to running a 10 miler last year and I had a couple of false starts when I got injured and needed to take a couple of weeks off to recover each time I got hurt.
  • mleparton
    Options
    You may be one of the last finishers in the race, but you're lapping everybody on the couch and THAT makes you accomplished because at least you're TRYING!

THIS!! :)
  • purpadillo
    purpadillo Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I started running almost 2 years ago to help with weight loss. Since then, I've finished 3 half marathons and 1 full marathon. You couldn't have told me that I would ever run more than a 5K, but I was having so much fun that I just kept going. The only reason I tell you this is that it took me ~6 wks before it became something I really enjoyed and missed if I didn't do it. Like all habits, it takes time to get it worked into your normal routine. With that being said, my suggestion would be to choose a race to run and get signed up for it. You'll have a small monetary investment to take into consideration if you want to dump it, but it also gives you a goal. With that goal, set it as something realistic...I'll run 1/3 of the race. Or I'll run 5 min walk 5 min until I'm done. I find the environment of 5Ks so much fun that I always want to go back and do another one.

I think the C25K is a great program to follow. Start by walking with short run intervals. You'll eventually find that you are running more than you are walking. Just take it slow, do lots of stretching, and have fun.
  • preciousmi
    Options
    I know others have said it but I want to say get a good pair of shoes! Shoes can make a big difference in the pain you feel or dont feel.
  • Kickinkim418
    Kickinkim418 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    GIve Couch 2 5k another try. Make sure to have a good pair of running shoes. Don't discouraged about how slow you go or about having to repeat days or weeks. Go at your own pace. Pretty soon, the weight will come off and you'll find yourself able to run faster.

I lost 33 pounds from running. I started with the Couch 2 5k and now have 2 5ks- 2 10ks- and 2-half marathons under my belt. You can do it. Go for it~~~!
  • Hbazzell
    Hbazzell Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    Before I joined the military I couldnt run at all! I was awful! I'd get out of breath right away because I was holding my breath without even realizing it. Bootcamp kicked my *kitten* and I was finally able run 1.5 mile in time. That built my confidence up and I started jogging outside of work and was able to do much better times. What helped me was jogging as long as I could and when I was dying a let myself walk, for only 2 minutes, just enough to catch my breath. Then jog again, as long as you can without stopping, walk for 2 mins to breathe. I use the ap RUNKEEPER to keep track of how far I go. Everytime you go to run try and increase your distance a little more (dont worry about your speed yet). Once you can jog for 30 mins straight you have done it! then you can do whatever you want, get faster....endurance....etc. The best goal is to try to jog for 30 mins stright, even if you start with 30 seconds of jogging eventually you will get much much better. I have faith!!!!

Also, sports bras are your friend. The worst thing ever is when I am running and the girls are burning more calories than I am haha.
  • KazSmith68
    Options
    Great advice all, I just started jogging a week ago, have wanted to for a long time after watching others at the gym. Was never a runner at school...hated it. I started slow and short jogs and gradually upping my time each day but staying at the same speed. I was 5mins and can now do 20mins :smile:
  • stacey2525
    stacey2525 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Well the snow kept me from running today but will be out again tomorrow
  • CherishQuick
    Options
    I will point out that finishing last still puts you way ahead of the people sitting on the couch not exercising.

I see that a lot of people suggested walking then power walking before starting C25k. When you are finally ready for C25k. There is nothing keeping you from doing a day or a week over and over again until you feel like moving on.

Running isn't about beating everyone else, it's about competing against yourself. Whether that is breaking a personal record or just completing a goal you've set for yourself it doesn't matter what everyone else is doing.

And that being said, running is just good to disconnect and not stress about anything. If you don't want to worry about times or distance... don't. Just throw on some quality running shoes and run/walk/whatever until you are done.

and if it turns out it's not for you, plenty of other options to get your exercise on.

I started getting back in shape at 241lbs which made my BMI 37.5. I started trying to run because I was told it was the biggest calorie burn for my time spent. I started on the treadmill at the back of the gym all the way on the end so if I did anything stupid I wouldn't embarass myself. Originally I couldn't manage a 1/2 mile without having to sprinkle in a walk. The first time I ran an unbroken mile it was quite the accomplishment and the first time I had done so since little league (like 30 years ago). I now LOVE running, I'm annoyed that other than races I don't dare run outside until april or so because of the snow/ice but at least I have the gym.

I'm sorry I've gone off on a tangent. Basically work your way up, so as slow as you need, and be happy that running can be all about personal accomplishment and you are the only yardstick you need to measure against.
    Thanks for this. A co-worker saw me outside and said, "See you are out there strolling!" Man! I was running!!! Please tell me I'm not a huge slacker because I really am trying, I'm just slow. I did finish my miles for the day, but I sure was discouraged.