how is it possible to have only 23 grams of sugar a day?

Options
According to my fitness program, I am supposed to have only 32 grams of sugar a day. My questions is this... how am i supposed to eat more fruits if they are full of sugar. According to my calculations If I have 2-3 pieces of fruit a day, I am already meeting my sugar intake... and this does not include eating other foods. Any help would be great! Thanks.

Laura

Replies

• psfr
    psfr Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I don't know what your "fitness program" is, but you need WAY more carbs than that to perform the most basic daily bodily functions. Maybe there's a misunderstanding?
  • hedwardsb
    hedwardsb Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I have pondered this at length. From what I've read, for people who do not have health problems specifically related to sugar, the added sugar should be limited.
    http://www.rodale.com/recommended-sugar-intake?page=0,0
    http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/GettingHealthy/NutritionCenter/Sugars-101_UCM_306024_Article.jsp
  • hedwardsb
    hedwardsb Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Of course, for me avoiding a fluffy dessert & bowl of ice cream is an accomplishment.
  • carenscuisine
    Options
    i too have asked this, since its a default for MFP, i wish they would address this issue. If you have any sort of fruit or dairy, you are done. I have only used it as a guide to know what snacks are dooming me but for the natural sugars it counts, I wouldn't worry about them. good luck
  • TXBelle1174
    TXBelle1174 Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    Some fruits are lower than others, like berries are lower than oranges or bananas. You can always change your settings. I have to watch my sugar so I think my sugar grams are set to 19 or something. I had 5 grams today but I usually eat fruit and today I didn't. I also dont eat a lot of starchy breads or pasta, etc. They have a lot of sugars in them too.
  • LPDLPD
    LPDLPD Posts: 25
    Options
    This is helpful, thank you!
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    I don't know what your "fitness program" is, but you need WAY more carbs than that to perform the most basic daily bodily functions. Maybe there's a misunderstanding?

There is NO biological need for carbs, so there is NO need for any of them.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    According to my fitness program, I am supposed to have only 32 grams of sugar a day. My questions is this... how am i supposed to eat more fruits if they are full of sugar. According to my calculations If I have 2-3 pieces of fruit a day, I am already meeting my sugar intake... and this does not include eating other foods. Any help would be great! Thanks.

Laura

We should be eating way more vegetables then fruit.
  • Mads1997
    Mads1997 Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    I don't even track my sugar but I know according to MFP I would be way over eating 2 sometimes 3 pieces of fruit a day.
  • pudadough
    pudadough Posts: 1,271 Member
    Options
    As far as I can tell, it's not possible. On my best days, that is the one macro I always always go over. I've just stopped worrying about it, basically.
  • groomchick
    groomchick Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Choose fruits lower on the glycemic load... Grapes, all berries, melon, pineapple. They release insulin slower in the body!
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options

You need exactly 0 carbs to perform the basic bodily functions.
  • aimeeernest
    aimeeernest Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Ive been trying to treat fruit as more of a snack or dessert. vegetables are way better for our bodies so I try to eat more of that. But i agree, it's pretty difficult to stay below the default suggested amount! I go over a lot and that's staying hundreds under my max calorie limit.
  • Desirai18
    Options
    You do need carbs, carbs give you energy. If you cut carbs completely out of your diet you will be tired all the time.
  • sun33082
    sun33082 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    Without the massive amounts of brownies I have had today, I'd only have 13g of sugar. So it's very possible to not go over 32 or 23g of sugar each day. Just choose your fruits wisely and eat vegetables.
  • Masterdo
    Masterdo Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    It is actually much better when you can hit precisely 31,667. Requires more work, but who said dieting was gonna be easy?

Orrr...

Just learn about nutrition, healthy habits, stop trying to lose weight and learn how to live the rest of your life.

You will not get a lot of support for fad diets on these boards I'm afraid :p
  • purplegoboom
    purplegoboom Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    MFP sets the sugar macro ridiculously low and does not take into account sugars from fruits vs. sugar from sweets. I don't even look at it anymore, I pay attention instead to carbs and fiber.
  • SGT_Reg
    SGT_Reg Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Retracted due to finding evidence contrary to my prior knowledge.

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/nutrition/how-many-carbohydrates-do-you-need.html
  • mariapuhl
    mariapuhl Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I just looked at my last few days of sugar intake... for me, it's extremely possible. But, that's because I hate fruit and almost all sweet things.
    10g
    14g
    9g
    48g (I ate some blueberries. The only fruit I'll touch)
    12g
    17g
    7g
  • Masterdo
    Masterdo Posts: 331 Member
    Options

There is NO biological need for carbs, so there is NO need for any of them.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_breast_milk#Composition

But yeah, you probably know better than your own DNA!

Eating carbs is alright, healthy, and there is about as many good reasons to not eat carbs than to cut off 3 of your fingers right now. You would survive... But why do it?