Wheat Belly

Options
This book caught my eye in Walmart the other day. I looked it up on Amazon and was wondering other people's opinion on it ? I eat 100% whole wheat bread usually once a day. It's comes from a local bread store and had only 5 ingredients. I just don't understand how this can be bad for me? I don't think I can eat enough high carb fruits and veggies to get the amount of carbs I need to sustain a decent energy level. I try and stick with a mostly whole foods diet (with the exception of cheating on Friday nights sometimes)

Replies

• MizTerry
    MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
    Options
    As I understand, gluten is the "big ugly green monster" these days and the cause of the wheat belly. A lot of people are going gluten free, but honestly, it seems EVERYTHING has gluten in it. I've tried the gluten free noodles and they weren't that good. I hear the gluten free bread is like cardboard. I'm not giving up yet though, but I'm not quite ready to plunge fully into gluten free.
  • hdlb
    hdlb Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I tried to read it. It was one of the most boring things I've picked up in a very long long time, and I only made it through certain parts. Then I was diagnosed with Celiacs and it doesn't matter what the book says anyway lol.

But IMHO, if you have no reaction to gluten, there is nothing wrong with eating bread.
  • kjm3579
    kjm3579 Posts: 3,974 Member
    Options
    The grains we get today are all genetically engineered and are actually hazardous to our health. I started with a gluten free diet after my wife was diagnosed with Celiac disease and ultimately I am trying to stay on a Primal diet which is of course gluten free. It's interesting that various athletes even on different diets than mine find success with going gluten free (such as Rich Roll).
  • RobynC79
    RobynC79 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I love your username, OP!

Wheat Belly is a propaganda piece, designed to sell books and create a new dietary bad-guy. We've had saturated fats, sugar, HFCS, corn in general, white carbs, high GI foods, and now .... wheat is the new evil (or a Big Bad, since you seem to be a Buffy fan!) Wheat is not poison, it's not hazardous to our health, nor is it the cause of obesity.

Unless you are gluten intolerant or are diagnosed with coeliac disease, there is nothing wrong with traditionally-made bread. It's a great food.

Some people here are radical proponents of a low-grain or low-carbohydrate diet. What works for you is the right way to go. I eat plenty of grains.
  • AnjellaRose_GF_SillyYak
    Options
    Well, as a celiac I MUST eat gluten free. some of the foods take time to get used to, others are great. everything is better knowing all the symptome and possible future symptoms that have been stopped. and no not EVERYTHING has gluten in it, I could take you to any grocery store and fill a cart with NATURALLY gluten free foods, you probably already eat!
  • WinnerVictorious
    WinnerVictorious Posts: 4,735 Member
    Options
    I love your username, OP!

Wheat Belly is a propaganda piece, designed to sell books and create a new dietary bad-guy. We've had saturated fats, sugar, HFCS, corn in general, white carbs, high GI foods, and now .... wheat is the new evil (or a Big Bad, since you seem to be a Buffy fan!) Wheat is not poison, it's not hazardous to our health, nor is it the cause of obesity.

Unless you are gluten intolerant or are diagnosed with coeliac disease, there is nothing wrong with traditionally-made bread. It's a great food.

Some people here are radical proponents of a low-grain or low-carbohydrate diet. What works for you is the right way to go. I eat plenty of grains.

^^ this. for the win.
  • Welcome2theHellmouth
    Options
    Thanks for the replies!! I have no reaction to gluten. Whenever I have super slow weight loss times I start wondering if my body has gotten used to the food I eat and if I should cut things out yada yada yada. I' m always looking for that "big bad" to blame.
    I have some friends that have gluten reaction and I would hate to have to give it up.

Thanks Robyn for the username shoutout!! It's my username for almost every message board I've ever been on for the last 15 yrs lol! I'm still a huge fan!!!
  • CrazyCatLadylovescats
    Options
    I am doing my best to be wheat and grain free (primal.) I did read the book, and it did make sense to me. I didn't lose a lot of weight, but then I am only teetering on being overweight. I did loose the "Bible Bump" (a cyst with water) on my wrist, and my hip that hurt every few weeks for 7 years has stopped hurting. I also lost the afternoon cravings that I had triscuits that would leave me shaky. In fact, if I didn't eat on time before (when eating wheat) I would get low blood sugar shakes. I don't have those any more. I do feel like I have more energy and am less tied to when we eat. I still snack out of habit, so I still need to work on things not related to the wheat.

I have also noticed a big improvement in concentration in my ADHD son when he does not eat wheat. We homeschool, and he is not on meds. We have several young friends with Asperger's and they have found that they do MUCH better when they cut wheat out of their diets. In one case it was the boy, when he was 11, who noticed that when he was at grandma's house (who eats lots of junk) that he felt much angrier than he did when he was home and she came to visit without all the crap. His mother has some thyroid issues and noticed that things were much better for her when they didn't do bread. (They are on very limited income - they don't get crappy food because they can't afford it.)

For me, it is not helping with the weight - I initially lost 5 lbs I had gained this year, but then things stalled out. I did slack off during Christmas with the kids making cookies and gifts of food. And three birthdays (with gluten free cake mix because we made it for friends with Celiac's last year and my kids said it tastes better than regular. It is full of sugar though, so still bad for a diet!) For me the cooking is not a big deal. I have always cooked from scratch, so mostly because of being primal, I try to not do grains at all. I do a lot of soups, curries, roasts, stir fries and just leave out the noodles and rice. I haven't been buying or making bread, and other than my youngest, we don't really miss it.

OP, read the book (get it from the library so you don't waste money) and see what you think. Try it if you want, if you don't want to, you have gained knowledge into why other people have decided to go without and you can talk intelligently to them about it.
  • ChaoticMum
    ChaoticMum Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    http://noglutennoproblem.blogspot.ca/2012/03/wheat-belly-busted.html?m=1

Check that out....I haven't read the book myself. I considered it, but am always hesitant to buy fad books. When I saw that article it convinced me not to bother.

That being said.....I do live grain free as much as I can. Not due to celiac disease, but because while going Gluten Free for my son, who has behavioural issues, I found that I myself had some amazing changes in my body. We were recommended a GF diet for my son by his pediatrician as a trial. Many ADD/ADHD kids see great results on GF diets. This has been true for my son. While going GF with him in a show of solidarity, I found that I lost an immediate 9lb. I lost 3" around my waist. I was no longer bloated and I no longer had foul smelling gas. I thought...it's a fluke. So...in an experiment, I added grains back to my diet. I gained back 5 of the 9lb I lost in less than a month, and gained 3" back in my waist. Coincidence? I think not.

So. I find, for me, that gluten is a bad culprit. I think a person needs to do more research than just one book to decide if it's the right path for them.
  • ChaoticMum
    Options
    We posted at the same time!

I have also noticed a big improvement in concentration in my ADHD son when he does not eat wheat. We homeschool, and he is not on meds. We have several young friends with Asperger's and they have found that they do MUCH better when they cut wheat out of their diets. In one case it was the boy, when he was 11, who noticed that when he was at grandma's house (who eats lots of junk) that he felt much angrier than he did when he was home and she came to visit without all the crap. His mother has some thyroid issues and noticed that things were much better for her when they didn't do bread. (They are on very limited income - they don't get crappy food because they can't afford it.)
  • insearchofbees
    Options
    I have had much better luck with GRAIN free as opposed to simply gluten free. I could tell a difference immediately - and I can feel the repercussions when I cheat just as quickly...
  • heatherheyns
    heatherheyns Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I have to eat gluten free. While many people ARE toting gluten free as some great weight loss kick, I think that weakens the harm it has on a lot of people. I believe somewhere around 30% of people have an intolerance to gluten in the US, and most don't know it. It isn't always serious, but the symptoms often go unnoticed until it's cut out of ones diet. So while most people do not need to cut it out, there are almost 1 in 3 who would probably feel better without it.

As it was mentioned though, going gluten free isn't easy. There is gluten in so much processed food that it is a very difficult way to eat. It also isn't some magic fad diet, it's an entire lifestyle change that requires a lot of commitment. However, for a lot of people it's worth it, as it has been for me.
  • jackieatx
    jackieatx Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    I love wheat so, so much.
  • ChaoticMum
    Options
    I have had much better luck with GRAIN free as opposed to simply gluten free. I could tell a difference immediately - and I can feel the repercussions when I cheat just as quickly...

Exactly myself also. I had a sub on Saturday...I am still feeling the bloat and not nice effects of that tonight. Along with some grain coating on the fishi had this weekend.
  • jrhodo
    jrhodo Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    It makes no difference how "healthy" you think your wheat is, it's the protein in it. If you are intolerant, your immune system sees gluten as an invading germ. When it's done attaching the gluten it attaches parts of your body. Any autoimmune disease results.
  • tutti777
    Options
    Read the book and was very informative regarding how "our wheat today" is not the "wheat of our ancestors" and how it has been altered over the years. There are people who are very alergic to wheat and this book goes into detail as to the syptoms, etc..As for me, I do not consume a lot of bread but I do enjoy my Arnolds Wheat Nut from time to time. I would not recommend this book to others.
  • healthyJenn0915
    Options
    My moms Dr had her do basically a gluten free diet for 30 days so i joined her minus a few cheat days here and there. I saw absolutely no changes in my belly whatsoever, so I truely beleive whole grains and wheat are only bad for you if you have an intollerance to them. Just MPO!
  • Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    Watch his lecture on youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UbBURnqYVzw

If wheat works for you then by all means continue to eat it in your diet. If you suspect that it may not be working for you then give it up and see how you feel.

Since giving up wheat six weeks ago the joint pain in my hands is gone. Before I could not fully close my hands without wincing in pain. Now there is no pain at all. Also my knees used to cause me so much pain that after a shift at work all I could do is go home and put my legs up and cry. Now I just feel some minor aching.. but I attribute that to my 310 pounds pounding on them all day 95% of my joint pain in my knees is gone.

BTW. I haven't read wheat belly yet and I didn't discover this lecture until AFTER I stopped the wheat and noticed that my joint pain went away and started gooleing around to see if there was a correlation.
  • Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    I have to eat gluten free. While many people ARE toting gluten free as some great weight loss kick, I think that weakens the harm it has on a lot of people. I believe somewhere around 30% of people have an intolerance to gluten in the US, and most don't know it. It isn't always serious, but the symptoms often go unnoticed until it's cut out of ones diet. So while most people do not need to cut it out, there are almost 1 in 3 who would probably feel better without it.

The issues with wheat go beyond just the gluten. I'm all for someone trying wheat free as a "weight loss kick" if it opens their eyes to the fact that they may feel better without the wheat. Also simply going "gluten free" is terrible for weight loss since you can just substitute horrible starchy non-gluten flours
  • AnjellaRose_GF_SillyYak
    Options
    I love wheat so, so much.
    oh I love it to, my body does not!! I hate that fact, but it could be worse!