Has anyone tried a juicing fast?

Options
124»

Replies

• LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    I saw the same documentary and bought a juicer the next day. I briefly thought about juicing for an extended amount of time but I got to thinking about it, personally I like fruit juice, the only vegetable I've juiced thus far, and liked was carrots ( I like vegetable juice, but can't seem to make it taste good). One of the reasons that fruits are so good for you is the amount of fiber in them, constantly juicing strips this away. Joe and Phil lost a lot of weight on the documentary because they had a lot to lose, but on reading over joe's website there are a lot of healthy ideas that go beyond juicing. I still make juice everyday, but doing a juicing diet isn't for me, it works for some, not for others. At least its better than drinking soda all the time.
    I was going to write almost exactly this. The movie was great, watched it several times. I make my juice several times a week. If you drink a lot of it (and don't get fiber from other sources) you can get plugged up too. I like salad, but this is a nice way to get lots of nutrients without having to sit at a table for an hour trying to cram a huge bowl of veggies down my throat.

I don't plan to do a fast though, since I don't have any 'toxins' or evil spirits or other imaginary baddies in my body.
  • stephdeeable
    stephdeeable Posts: 1,407 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a great way to make myself hate juice.
  • RobynMWilson
    RobynMWilson Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    Like nearly every diet that is restrictive it will be difficult to sustain. If your consuming less calories than you use you will lose weight doing this. Like nearly every diet that cuts things out you won't get he balanced nutrition that your body needs.

I see no problem with juicing as a supplement to real food but why would you want to only juice?

Why do people make this more complicated than it is? Eat to lose weight, eat healthy and eat proper portions. That's all it takes.

^^ AMEN!! There are ways to do cleanses to remove toxins and get rid of cravings while still eating whole real foods you know. But for weight loss, you really need to come up with something you can stick with for the rest of your life if you want lifelong results!!
  • Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    I saw the same documentary and bought a juicer the next day. I briefly thought about juicing for an extended amount of time but I got to thinking about it, personally I like fruit juice, the only vegetable I've juiced thus far, and liked was carrots ( I like vegetable juice, but can't seem to make it taste good). One of the reasons that fruits are so good for you is the amount of fiber in them, constantly juicing strips this away. Joe and Phil lost a lot of weight on the documentary because they had a lot to lose, but on reading over joe's website there are a lot of healthy ideas that go beyond juicing. I still make juice everyday, but doing a juicing diet isn't for me, it works for some, not for others. At least its better than drinking soda all the time.
    I was going to write almost exactly this. The movie was great, watched it several times. I make my juice several times a week. If you drink a lot of it (and don't get fiber from other sources) you can get plugged up too. I like salad, but this is a nice way to get lots of nutrients without having to sit at a table for an hour trying to cram a huge bowl of veggies down my throat.

I don't plan to do a fast though, since I don't have any 'toxins' or evil spirits or other imaginary baddies in my body.
    I think it's important to remember that Joe and Phil did the juicing in order to treat their medical condition and it worked for them. Losing weight was a side effect... I did juicing for 30 days and it was more a mental thing for me. I suck at just counting calories and "moderation" doing the juice fast helped give me the kick in the rear I needed and it helped me break my dependance on certain foods. I don't think that a juice fast is necessary for everyone.. Though I do believe that most would benefit from including a glass of mean green into their daily diets..... yeah you can just eat the vegetables but when was the last time you ate a half pound of raw kale?
  • beckg212003
    Options
    I bought the NutriBullet and have been juicing for a week. I feel great. I put alot in my "smoothie." I started with fresh fruits and veggies and now I use frozen berries. Typical things I put in my smoothie: fresh baby spinach or greens, carrots, frozen or fresh strawberries, blueberries, rasberries. kiwi, or melon. Plus water. But the important part are the "boosts" I add tart cherry juice (this is a natural antiflammatory and gets rid of aches and pains) I also add flaxseed (ground up), fennel, cinnamon, cod liver oil, crushed almonds. I know it sounds gross but all I taste are the berries and cherry juice. The last few days I've been adding oatmeal that I have powederd with the nutribullet. I stay full for hours and thanks to the fennel I don't even crave anything. I eat one meal a day ( chicken wraps or salads) and juice the other two meals...I have never felt healthier and I actually enjoy them. The key is frozen berries and concentrated tart cherry juice. YUM!! And I lost 3lbs this week.
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    NewLIFEstyle4ME Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options

Thank you :drinker: SouthGippyGirl :heart: for posting this--he's cute, funny, animated and encouraging too!

When he said "don't become a juice aryan or juicenorexic" and said "it's just thoughts and junk food cravings are just thoughts, it's not you who wants it, it's the junk food cravings making you a junkie food terrorist, I just about screamed with laughter.:laugh:
  • jmariscal3
    jmariscal3 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I have never donw a juicing fast, but I did a 24-hour broth fast. I heard about it on leangains.com. I chose a broth diet because no food whatsoever was scary to me. I did it for 24 hours because the headaches and *****iness got to me after awhile. I can say that it helped me a lot because once it was over I had no cravings at all. I wasn't doing it to lose weight, I did it to kick cravings. It worked. I have not had a soda, fast food, or anything like that since. My body feels good and I am down two pounds in two weeks. I may buy a juicer and add in one a day to replace a meal, or may do the fast once a week. It depends on how I feel. I have heard of people juicing for a long time, and also saw that documentary, and it works well for many.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options

I think it's important to remember that Joe and Phil did the juicing in order to treat their medical condition and it worked for them. Losing weight was a side effect... I did juicing for 30 days and it was more a mental thing for me. I suck at just counting calories and "moderation" doing the juice fast helped give me the kick in the rear I needed and it helped me break my dependance on certain foods. I don't think that a juice fast is necessary for everyone.. Though I do believe that most would benefit from including a glass of mean green into their daily diets..... yeah you can just eat the vegetables but when was the last time you ate a half pound of raw kale?
    Ya, I was talking about the "cleansing" and "detox" nonsense that often accompanies talk of juicing. Even their "nutritionist" on the other site seems to believe in that claptrap.
  • MochaMixAZ
    MochaMixAZ Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    I also saw that documentary and found it fascincating. I DO juice, but like that documentary, it's not exactly "juicing." With my Vitamix, I eat the pulp, the meat of the fruit, and all the goodies that add much more nutrition and less calories than straight juicing. I think that's important to note -- the skin of fruits/veggies is often where lots of the uberhealthy phytonutrients live.

I find the days I juice, my fiber consumption is way up... and I feel full. I can drink a green smoothie (frozen grapes, an apple, spinach, kale, a couple frozen pineapple chunks, 1/2 banana, carrot, 1/2 kiwi, and 1/2 an orange) at 6 AM that will hold me until 11 AM with no hunger. When I swap that out for a bagel, I'm starving by 8.

It's NOT low calorie... I can easily rack up 500 calories in my morning smoothie. But the calories are BIG bang for your buck in staying full and getting lots of healthy nutrition.

The only thing I miss when I juice is the act of chewing. I do like to eat my food more than drink it. So while I'm physically full, sometimes I'm mentally craving something I can sink my teeth into.

With that said, I try to make these 3 x week. It's definitely helped me with my weight loss goals.

I mitigate the cost by selecting fresh fruits in season/on sale and supplementing with frozen fruits and veggies. I NEVER throw fresh fruit/veggies out - just clean, cut into chunks, pop into a Ziploc, and freeze.

Kids and picky eaters alike will eat the green smoothies in my house. The drinks looks like hell, so I've been known to disguise in an insulated cup with a lid and straw.

Give it a whirl. I tried it for a week to ensure I enjoyed it before purchasing the Cadillac of blenders, the Vitamix. But I AM SO GLAD I DID.

One other note on the blender - if you can, buy from Costco. Wait for a sale... about twice a year these go on sale for like $50 off. CostCO is also SO good that if you buy full price and they run a sale in the next year, they WILL refund you the difference. I also had my first Vitamix for 11 months, then one morning it suddenly stopped working. (Day before Thanksgiving to be exact). I threw it into a bag, just rinsed but not clean... tossed in all the accessories, sped to CostCo.... and they gave me a BRAND NEW MACHINE with no questions asked.

Love, love, love juicing!
  • ladiablo
    ladiablo Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I did a weekend juice fast just because... just because. I didn't watch a documentary or have a friend who did it or anything, I'm not really sure why I just jumped on the juice fast idea haha. I didn't crave food and I felt energetic. I found the juice delicious. My problem? Just like when I try to cut back on carbs... the brain fog set in. I cannot keep my brainmatter in a functional state without sugar. Honestly, I was jittery-energetic and couldn't catch a thought worth a damn. I caught my thumb pretty badly while slicing a beet because I got distracted. I knew I wouldn't be able to work with that kind of brain fog, so I just opted back into food. It was an interesting experience, but not one I plan to repeat.

Plus, I didn't have a normal bowel movement for like a month afterward.
  • BrightonChick
    BrightonChick Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I'm literally running out to Argos to grab my first Juicer. Watched the 'Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead' Documentary a few days ago, since then doing alot of research...IM READY! People have been saying this will be expensive, surely not as expensive as a night out on the beers, the weekly take out and the un-used gym membership?! Rebooting the system ... here it goes!
  • abrahamsitososa
    abrahamsitososa Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    The best and most affordable juicer that can also be used commercially is the Omega j8004. Don't take my word for it. Read the reviews on Amazon.
  • Canisp
    Canisp Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi - juicing and smoothies now belong to my daily diet - discovered them properly in 2011. However, when starting out I probably went mad, juicing everything I could bet my hands on whether yellow, green or orange and my stomach eventually revolted at fresh pineapple, ginger root and nettle leaves! I suffered from what I call 'burning tummy' and gave up juicing for a wee while. Strange because pineapple is meant to have digestion-enhancing qualities ...hmmm? Now I keep to one or two juices/smoothies a day maybe a smoothie for breakfast with wheatgerm or muesli mixed in or a juice before and after exercising. My favourite is a peanut butter and banana smoothie - perfect for breakfast or make 2 servings with one mid morning and one mid afternoon.
    Enjoy your juicing experience!:
  • Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    The best and most affordable juicer that can also be used commercially is the Omega j8004. Don't take my word for it. Read the reviews on Amazon.

LOVE THIS JUICER. I have used it every day since I bought it 7 months ago. Definitely the best kitchen appliance I have EVER had. My sister has the same juicer and my 5 year old nephew gets up on a kitchen chair and makes his own juice. There's something magical about seeing a five year old get giddy about beets and kale....And don't even get me started on the wonderful frozen desserts you can make with it. BTW, the 8003/8005 is the cheaper model but it has a weaker auger. the 8004/8006 has the stronger auger. also the 8004/8006 are the exact same machine except for color.
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    Options

LOVE THIS JUICER. I have used it every day since I bought it 7 months ago. Definitely the best kitchen appliance I have EVER had. My sister has the same juicer and my 5 year old nephew gets up on a kitchen chair and makes his own juice. There's something magical about seeing a five year old get giddy about beets and kale....And don't even get me started on the wonderful frozen desserts you can make with it. BTW, the 8003/8005 is the cheaper model but it has a weaker auger. the 8004/8006 has the stronger auger. also the 8004/8006 are the exact same machine except for color.

Breville BJE200XL Compact Juice Fountain 700-Watt Juice Extractor I got it on sale last year for $69.00 or something like that. I'm very happy with it and use it just about daily. This doesn't have the pulp collection cup on the back, so I have to empty the pump two or three times, which compared to the convenience and neatness of that collection cup is something of a tiny challenge--but when I upgrade, I'll definitely check this one out. Thanks for the recommendations.
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    Options
    I also saw that documentary and found it fascincating. I DO juice, but like that documentary, it's not exactly "juicing." With my Vitamix, I eat the pulp, the meat of the fruit, and all the goodies that add much more nutrition and less calories than straight juicing. I think that's important to note -- the skin of fruits/veggies is often where lots of the uberhealthy phytonutrients live.

I find the days I juice, my fiber consumption is way up... and I feel full. I can drink a green smoothie (frozen grapes, an apple, spinach, kale, a couple frozen pineapple chunks, 1/2 banana, carrot, 1/2 kiwi, and 1/2 an orange) at 6 AM that will hold me until 11 AM with no hunger. When I swap that out for a bagel, I'm starving by 8.

It's NOT low calorie... I can easily rack up 500 calories in my morning smoothie. But the calories are BIG bang for your buck in staying full and getting lots of healthy nutrition.

The only thing I miss when I juice is the act of chewing. I do like to eat my food more than drink it. So while I'm physically full, sometimes I'm mentally craving something I can sink my teeth into.

With that said, I try to make these 3 x week. It's definitely helped me with my weight loss goals.

I mitigate the cost by selecting fresh fruits in season/on sale and supplementing with frozen fruits and veggies. I NEVER throw fresh fruit/veggies out - just clean, cut into chunks, pop into a Ziploc, and freeze.

Kids and picky eaters alike will eat the green smoothies in my house. The drinks looks like hell, so I've been known to disguise in an insulated cup with a lid and straw.

Give it a whirl. I tried it for a week to ensure I enjoyed it before purchasing the Cadillac of blenders, the Vitamix. But I AM SO GLAD I DID.

One other note on the blender - if you can, buy from Costco. Wait for a sale... about twice a year these go on sale for like $50 off. CostCO is also SO good that if you buy full price and they run a sale in the next year, they WILL refund you the difference. I also had my first Vitamix for 11 months, then one morning it suddenly stopped working. (Day before Thanksgiving to be exact). I threw it into a bag, just rinsed but not clean... tossed in all the accessories, sped to CostCo.... and they gave me a BRAND NEW MACHINE with no questions asked.

Love, love, love juicing!

LOVE this post! I too find my juice cals can be super high too. So much so, I don't put as many things in my juices that I would like to, so that the drink doesn't consume too many cals. I put in extra lemon, jalepeno or some other hot peppers in mine and it totally makes the juices taste fabulous. I recently discovered putting organic sweet potatoes in my juices and WOW...I LOVE the way they make my juices taste plus, they are super beneficial to/for so many things in my body!

I too like chewing and eating, so I'm juicing to replace one or two of my daily meals and eat 3 to 4 meals/snacks through-out the day. Since I restarted juicing just a few days ago, I'm seeing and feeling some really wonderful results:

My energy is high and better
    I'm sleeping deeper and with more quality
    My nails are getting harder and longer already
    I'm looking forward to exercising now, where-as before restarting juicing last week, the thought of exercises was repulsive to me--VERY hard to get started. Now, walking and exercising is an attractive thought to me--not offensive or dreadful--YAY!!!!