how do you get comfortable sweating??

Options
2»

Replies

• yellow_pepper
    yellow_pepper Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    Tips to get over fear of sweating:
    1. Wear a head band. If you put your hair in a ponytail, wear it high.
    2. Make sure you have no makeup or face products on or above the eyes. You don't want anything dripping into your eyes, and it will.
    3. If you do wear makeup, use long-wearing, preferably waterproof and sweat-proof products.
    4. Wear wicking fabrics so you're not soaked after a workout.
    5. Wear less. Sweat looks better on skin than as big wet spots on your clothes.

One way to get around sweating is to do a longer workout at lower intensity. I sweat when I run but not when I walk. But I need to walk at least twice as long to burn the same number of calories. Weight-lifting doesn't make me sweat either, and it does plenty of good. Same with yoga.

There are plenty of workouts that do the job without making you sweat. But most of them don't provide the same cardiovascular benefits that huffing and puffing (and sweating) workouts do. The exception is swimming. Personally, I prefer how I feel with sweat on my skin than the dry-out I get after an hour or two in the chlorine. And the cap and goggle marks ... And the red eyes ... :ohwell:
  • pmkelly409
    pmkelly409 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    Tips to get over fear of sweating:
    1. Wear a head band. If you put your hair in a ponytail, wear it high.
    2. Make sure you have no makeup or face products on or above the eyes. You don't want anything dripping into your eyes, and it will.
    3. If you do wear makeup, use long-wearing, preferably waterproof and sweat-proof products.
    4. Wear wicking fabrics so you're not soaked after a workout.
    5. Wear less. Sweat looks better on skin than as big wet spots on your clothes.

One way to get around sweating is to do a longer workout at lower intensity. I sweat when I run but not when I walk. But I need to walk at least twice as long to burn the same number of calories. Weight-lifting doesn't make me sweat either, and it does plenty of good. Same with yoga.

There are plenty of workouts that do the job without making you sweat. But most of them don't provide the same cardiovascular benefits that huffing and puffing (and sweating) workouts do. The exception is swimming. Personally, I prefer how I feel with sweat on my skin than the dry-out I get after an hour or two in the chlorine. And the cap and goggle marks ... And the red eyes ... :ohwell:

:drinker: Great Post!! :drinker:

You Rock!
  • Healthier_Me
    Healthier_Me Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Well, sweating isn't necessary for fat oxidation, so you can feel free to put a fan on high and keep cool while you're running.
    :grumble: :ohwell:
    I'm wrong again (what a surprise!)

Oh gosh, I feel bad now lol! I didn't mean to steal your thunder! I should clarify: Sweating CAN BE a side effect of fat oxidation...H2O is a waste product of our energy systems. However, working out in a cool environment with the absence of sweating doesn't mean you're burning fewer calories, just like sweating because it's hot doesn't mean you're burning more calories. :smile: Its main function is just to evaporate to keep us cool.
    Oh no no my sweet songbyrd... don't feel bad.
    I'm glad you corrected me. I will make myself sweat more to keep myself cool:bigsmile:
  • fynendandi1
    fynendandi1 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I wish I did sweat. I never have been able to sweat, therefore I get overheated very easily and get sick. I actually will get faint and sick to my stomach. So, I don't want to excercise and make every excuse not to... so I think the fact that you sweat and you can cool off your body is a good thing, maybe not comfortable but very healthy
  • jill927
    jill927 Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    I work at a paper mill, so I am surrounded by HEAT and HUMIDITY the whole time I am at work, like there is no tomorrow... It is always 90-120 degrees and 90% humidity in there....it has to be for the machine to work right, so let me tell you I understand being sweaty!

Two keys for me are gold bond body power or baby powder, in key "girlie" places and wearing things without tight waistbands... I wear men's boxer briefs under my jeans to stop any rubbing, and I like 'em so much I wear them under workout clothes now too. So much more comfy! Also, I put deodorant around my ribcage where my sports bra would rub, which helps not getting heat rash.

I hate heat rash, but I live with it all summer long. If you DO get it, use some cordozone cream on it and put that bare skin under the breeze of a fan. Always feels good.

HTH!
  • gonezobean
    gonezobean Posts: 154
    Options
    I bring a towel and that allows me to forget for just a moment that a liquid is pouring down my face.
  • maverickyanda
    maverickyanda Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    The only sweaty workouts are the ones that require me to be outside or in a bedroom. :huh:
  • TNTPete
    TNTPete Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    Do your workout before you get ready for the day, then you can shower and change before you go about your day.
    I have to vote in on the "I like to sweat while I workout". I don't like it running in my eyes but - it's a sign my body is doing what it is supposed to do.
  • kingon8
    kingon8 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    The only sweaty workouts are the ones that require me to be outside or in a bedroom. :huh:

haha, for some reason sweating in the bedroom doesn't seem to bother me too much...:tongue:
  • msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    I don't really mind sweating, its more that I get really overheated. I usually work out with a fan blowing on me so sweating keeps me really cool.
  • maverickyanda
    maverickyanda Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I know this sounds pathetic, but it's really not. I love exercising, but I am starting to realize that unless I am sweating really sweating, I am not doing ENOUGH. And I have a hard time with this, I am by no means lazy, but you know how when you work outside and it's 90 degrees, and you're burning up, and you go in and sit in the air for 15 minutes to cool off, I dread the idea of needing to sweat like this every day for my exercise. I am a SAHM so I clean all day, and run errands, and we are a big outdoors family so I dont mind breaking that sweat outside 3 or 4 times a week depending on what we are doing, but I cant make myself get on the treadmill and sweat like that for an hour when I know I am not going outside that day. How do you guys get comfortable with the sweating? Do you drink cold water through your workouts? Exercise naked? Tips please, or is this just my problem?? :huh:

Haha I hate the gym partially for that reason.

I like sweating outside :P
  • paul82682
    paul82682 Posts: 48
    Options
    sweating is good for you. my dad always said it gets the poison out. as for whether or not there is scientific evidence for that, i really haven't looked into it. but, it sounds good to me. my TI used to say "pain is weakness leaving the body," which also sounds good, but i'm not too sure about the scientific evidence behind that one either.
  • kingon8
    kingon8 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I don't really mind sweating, its more that I get really overheated. I usually work out with a fan blowing on me so sweating keeps me really cool.

that is my main issue, right there. I get overheated, if the sweat would actually make me cool, then I would love it, but instead it just makes me feel hotter, and makes my skin itch, that may be because the poisons are coming out, makes sense to me, you drink water to flush your system out, so why not sweat it out too. I did get up this morning at 6 while it was still cool and workout and opened all the windows, and then jumped in the shower, and it was much better!!